PC freezing on startup

bigglebojiggle

I'll try to make this quick and easy to understand. Basically a while ago I picked up a new HDD to use as my primary gaming HDD. After a bit of trouble getting it to be recognized, I had my SSD and my HDD recognized and working fine. The problem is that ever since then,when I start up my PC, it will ocassionaly be muted, then freeze forcing me to restart. It always seems to work when I reboot.

I haven't made any changes to my audio setup. I haven't done anything other than install that new harddrive. I've read some stuff about booting in safe mode, but that is impossible for me since my keyboard basically doesnt even work until I get to my login screen. Any ideas/suggestions would be welcome.

Oh, I'm using Windows 8.1 btw. Not sure what other info is needed.

• 2 weeks later...

Be sure that you have a large enough power supply in your computer to run everything. Is it a gaming one or just one "your parents" picked up at the local store?

Otherwise I don't see the correlation between installing a new harddrive for something other than Windows, and the reboots. I have 6 external harddrives... I use a USB-hub to be able to connect them all. IF I start my computer with the USB-hub turned on, it won't even boot up. If I boot up the computer with the USB-hub switched off, and switch it on once it is in Windows; it works. ?

If everything else fails, I'd suggest that you use the free upgrade to windows 10, if your version is legal. If you are lucky it will mend itself. I've used so much time on fixing my computer issues myself and have finally reached a point where I just boot it up, and nothing funny happens ? eureka! Good luck with it!

15 hours ago, Antioch666 said:

Be sure that you have a large enough power supply in your computer to run everything. Is it a gaming one or just one "your parents" picked up at the local store?

Otherwise I don't see the correlation between installing a new harddrive for something other than Windows, and the reboots. I have 6 external harddrives... I use a USB-hub to be able to connect them all. IF I start my computer with the USB-hub turned on, it won't even boot up. If I boot up the computer with the USB-hub switched off, and switch it on once it is in Windows; it works. ?

If everything else fails, I'd suggest that you use the free upgrade to windows 10, if your version is legal. If you are lucky it will mend itself. I've used so much time on fixing my computer issues myself and have finally reached a point where I just boot it up, and nothing funny happens ? eureka! Good luck with it!

Its a pc I built,  the power supply is 750w. This only happened after some trouble installing a new hdd (replacing a previous one). It had trouble being recognized but after some messing around I got my hdds all set up.

I have a c drive for the ps that's an AMD, a d drive that's an hdd for most games, and an e drive that's an ssd for a few open world games. Never had an issue in the past.

On 1/30/2019 at 1:05 AM, bigglebojiggle said:

Its a pc I built,  the power supply is 750w. This only happened after some trouble installing a new hdd (replacing a previous one). It had trouble being recognized but after some messing around I got my hdds all set up.

I have a c drive for the ps that's an AMD, a d drive that's an hdd for most games, and an e drive that's an ssd for a few open world games. Never had an issue in the past.

Okay, so the PS is big enough. Did you remember to install all your mainboard drivers? Many forget this... If you are in doubt try downloading a free version of driver detective fx and see if anything is a miss. It can REALLY fuck up your PC if those arent installed properly. I have tried that myself the hard way ?  Other than that it is hard to say what is wrong, because you are the only one that knows the details. Every PC is different... I hope you resolve your issues; because it is VERY annoying when you are used to everything being in tip top shape and then suddenly it all falls apart. "God"speed ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2019 at 2:48 PM, Antioch666 said:

Okay, so the PS is big enough. Did you remember to install all your mainboard drivers? Many forget this... If you are in doubt try downloading a free version of driver detective fx and see if anything is a miss. It can REALLY fuck up your PC if those arent installed properly. I have tried that myself the hard way ?  Other than that it is hard to say what is wrong, because you are the only one that knows the details. Every PC is different... I hope you resolve your issues; because it is VERY annoying when you are used to everything being in tip top shape and then suddenly it all falls apart. "God"speed ?

I think they guy who said to reset CMOS was spot on. I eventually did that (I didn't realize I had a reset CMOS on the back of my board) and haven't had any issues yet

37 minutes ago, bigglebojiggle said:

I think they guy who said to reset CMOS was spot on. I eventually did that (I didn't realize I had a reset CMOS on the back of my board) and haven't had any issues yet

Nice! Haven't done that myself since I had maybe Windows XP or 2000 xD totally forgot that was a thing. For me it was almost always something software related bleeding over into faulty hardware! It's like one guy wrote on a forum I visited once - "You can unplug and plug in your USB-stuff a thousand times while the power is on; but one out of those thousand times you might fry your whole computer" ?

Archived