Anyone else disappointed by the new Hitman?

I'm going on a simple wikipedia search here, but it appears the new Hitman: Absolution is an absolute (sorry) poor excuse for a Hitman title, given what I've read here under the "reception" tag.

If for starters we take that most of the Console magazines gave them good reviews, while all the PC ones gave them bad ones (PC gamer gave them 66%!) then I think the new title is looking to be disappointing.

This is a shame, because I really enjoyed the last Hitman entry (blood money) - has anybody played the new one? Can anybody related to me on this?

My horror began when I started reading the article, and it says "the game will be made easier and more accessible..." which always universally means "shitter" without compromise. I've not seen ONE game where "simpler" equated to "better quality". This seems to be yet another example of dumbing down, milking a good name, moving on trend that any game with a decent name left to it apparently has to go through these days.

It's looking like the third installment of the "Aliens vs Predator" franchise all over again.... :@

"Waiting for a preposterous STEAM sale" it is then... :dodgy:

Guest flingingfeces

It looks graphically amazing, but the difficulty has been dumbed down for a more casual audience. I just played the new DMC demo on my PS3 and it's the same way. I guess this generation of gamers just don't care about substance or is it the devs?

I've only played five or so missions but i'm really torn by it. I love the Hitman games and i want to like it but i'm just not enjoying it much.

The story itself seems fairly solid, not liking some of the voice acting or parts of the sript though(Steve Blum, the cowboy bloke and his lass can all fuck off).

Oh, i play on the 360.

A list of changes, in no particular order:

No map- The map has be replaced by a radar and "instinct". I find the radar useless, it has a short range and can become a jumble of markers with no indication of what they represent.

Instinct highlights points of interest, anything you can interact with, npcs and it also affects disguises. In thoery very good the problem is that it comes across as a "tell me what to do" button and without it or an actual map figuring out infiltration routes is a bloody nightmare.

No first person- The game plays exclusively in third person, only now you can switch the shoulder the camera hovers over.

Shorter missions- Sort of, the missions are cut into smaller levels which allows more enemies and interactions, but it mimics the feeling of a cut-scene heavy corridor shooter.

Challenges/weapon selection- The changes that piss me off most. Each level has a series of challenges (change into all disguises, do not use disguises, kill targets different ways, don't get spotted and so on). Having a list (and popups!) of ways to play the game ruins the enjoyment of playing the game yourself and discovering things, it makes the levels feel scripted.

There is now NO weapon selection or single player weapon upgrades, both have been moved to the online level creator, again the idea behind contracts mode is good but i don't normally play games online (or buy multiplayer games) and i'm not paying an online subscription for one or two games.

Saving- No more free saving, instead you've got a handfull of single use checkpoints in the levels.

On professional difficulty i think you'll get an experience really similar to previous games, surviving only on your own wits and where impatience and mistakes are costly.

Although it might pick up as i get further into the story and the pvc figure that came with deluxe edition is fucking cool i kinda wish i'd waited.

It's actually needlessly complicated and flatout cheap on the hardest difficulty. Disguises of the same type don't work anymore and apparently they can see through walls from the other side of the building.

You need gold to play contract ono the 360? This is getting really pathetic on their part. I got it on PC. $30 cheaper (after the tax of the console version) and free online.

It's actually needlessly complicated and flatout cheap on the hardest difficulty. Disguises of the same type don't work anymore and apparently they can see through walls from the other side of the building.

You need gold to play contract ono the 360? This is getting really pathetic on their part. I got it on PC. $30 cheaper (after the tax of the console version) and free online.

The whole Contracts thing is a massive cock-up on my part, i play primarily using an offline profile and shockingly it doesn't work when you are offline, it works just fine with silver.

I realised after i posted that i was playing on normal so i decided to go back and check the others difficulties, descriptions helpfully provided by the game:

Easy- Players can activate additional chackpoints, instinct regenerates, instinct will provide hints, enimies will react more slowly than normal.

Normal- Players can activate additional checkpoints, instinct does not regenerate, intstinct will provide hints, normal enemy presence with normal enemy reaction times.

Hard- Players can activate additional checkpoints, instinct depletes when used and does not regenerate, no instinct hints, additional enimies with improved reaction times.

Expert- no player activated checkpoints, instinct depletes when used and does not regenerate, no instinct hints, maximum number of enemies with faster reaction times.

Purist- No help, no guides, no instinct, only a crosshair.

As Phelps1247 said disguises no longer work on people dressed the same, you need to burn instinct to move past them and enemies communicate more and can search the containers that you hide bodies in so it is actually more challenging than previous games.

Two other things i noticed, it has similar sound cut-out to Blood Money and you get the odd crash, i have had two crashes and it's not normally a problem except when it crashes while auto-saving and it wipes your save data, so on one hand its now a perfect opportunity to restart on a higher difficulty, on the other hand BOLLOCKS.

I actually looked at Dishonoured but it does nothing for me i just don't get excited at the thought of it, combined with a story that is only supposed to be six hours long and my disappointment with the attitude of certain fans of the game i MIGHT get it when its a tenner.

I actually looked at Dishonoured but it does nothing for me i just don't get excited at the thought of it' date=' combined with a story that is only supposed to be six hours long and my disappointment with the attitude of certain fans of the game i MIGHT get it when its a tenner.

[/quote']

Well I had fun with it. Took me 5 hours to complete 1 mission on my first playthrough. I can't seem to force myself to a high chaos path, I'm such a good person lmao :P.

Money well spent :angel:.

Huh, again, haven't played it yet, but the reviews and the opinions here don't seem to imply it is the awesome game it is supposed to be.

Honestly, the first time I heard of the nun trailer (I haven't watched it I thought "good for them, they have balls to make something that outrageous" which usually equates to "fuck the censors" ... but while this may be true, this has apparently come at a price.

Personally, I *HATE* the dumbing down, sorry, *making more accesible" attitude of today's games, mostly console orientated. Everything has to be quick, shallow and thoughtless. Anything more and you risk losing the 5 second attention span of today's "casual" gamers, which apparently cannot comprehend anything outside of flashy cutscenes, exorbitant graphics, ridiculous over the top action and over-exposed flesh, etc etc ad infinitum.

From where I'm sitting, Hitman seems to be another casualtuy. I don't like the idea of "smaller levels" which always means "less options" or "cut-scenes" which again, just means "less flexibility" in regards to outcomes. The most pertinent reviews I've read have said hitman seems to forget its title is "hitman" in regards to the ways and abilities to kill people, and the idea of having an online "contracts" mode just seems like a cheap gimmick to add a multiplayer option to a game that REALLY doesn't need or deserve a multiplayer element.

Jeez, when will developers realise, some games are made for multiplayer, others for single player. Why waste time on making a mediocre multi or single player experience?

Anyway, that was more of a rant than anything else. I'm probably just going to buy Dishonoured, which is now 50% less on Steam, and sounds a lot more like the original "Hitman" than this does. Apparently the future is all about unique titles, and franchises be damned.

So be it!

+1 totally agree, some games just aren't made for Multiplayer or vise versa.

But Gaming has entered the mainstream big time, and for that it's more accessible, and to me; less interesting.

I hate the idea that PC versions are basically Console ports, I buy PC games usually because I feel they have more to offer.

And Checkpoints are all neat and practical, but I'll always prefer a save system, that way you can choose how cheap you want to be. (saving every minute or every level or whatnot)

As much as I want to try this new hitman, I think I'm just going to revisit my old ones.

Huh' date=' again, haven't played it yet, but the reviews and the opinions here don't seem to imply it is the awesome game it is supposed to be.

Honestly, the first time I heard of the nun trailer (I haven't watched it I thought "good for them, they have balls to make something that outrageous" which usually equates to "fuck the censors" ... but while this may be true, this has apparently come at a price.

Personally, I *HATE* the dumbing down, sorry, *making more accesible" attitude of today's games, mostly console orientated. Everything has to be quick, shallow and thoughtless. Anything more and you risk losing the 5 second attention span of today's "casual" gamers, which apparently cannot comprehend anything outside of flashy cutscenes, exorbitant graphics, ridiculous over the top action and over-exposed flesh, etc etc ad infinitum.

From where I'm sitting, Hitman seems to be another casualtuy. I don't like the idea of "smaller levels" which always means "less options" or "cut-scenes" which again, just means "less flexibility" in regards to outcomes. The most pertinent reviews I've read have said hitman seems to forget its title is "hitman" in regards to the ways and abilities to kill people, and the idea of having an online "contracts" mode just seems like a cheap gimmick to add a multiplayer option to a game that REALLY doesn't need or deserve a multiplayer element.

Jeez, when will developers realise, some games are made for multiplayer, others for single player. Why waste time on making a mediocre multi or single player experience?

Anyway, that was more of a rant than anything else. I'm probably just going to buy Dishonoured, which is now 50% less on Steam, and sounds a lot more like the original "Hitman" than this does. Apparently the future is all about unique titles, and franchises be damned.

So be it!

[/quote']

Sounds like you weren't really too much of a fan if those minor issues dissuade you from purchasing it. From all i've seen and read, if you love Hitman, you'll probably love this one as well. Again, if you loved the series you shouldn't go by reviews on the internet instead of just trying it yourself. If we're going by scores Hitman 2 actually was the high point for the series, with Blood Money and Absolution having a fairly similar average score even though Absolution has less reviews. Is there no demo out?

(another review)

It's not dumbed down. Just the opposite but they took it too far resulting in a poor non-sensical mechcanic. You can hear them talk about who 47 is but can't identify him when he's standing right next to them in his normal outfit. Put on a disguise and they instantly know it's him...even with a mask covering his face or a full on chipmunk (not squrriel) suit.

Thankfully people have quickly put an end to this and there's various ways out there to have working disguises.

I have it, it is a little let down. No safe house, missions are made by one go mechanic (no pause between mission) and some other stuff that some mentioned BUT:

On one mission I had choice to kill or not to kill someone connected with story plot, so there is big chance that there is more than one ending.

Guest Lady Luck

I actually looked at Dishonoured but it does nothing for me i just don't get excited at the thought of it' date=' combined with a story that is only supposed to be six hours long and my disappointment with the attitude of certain fans of the game i MIGHT get it when its a tenner.

[/quote']

Well I had fun with it. Took me 5 hours to complete 1 mission on my first playthrough. I can't seem to force myself to a high chaos path, I'm such a good person lmao :P.

Money well spent :angel:.

wtf 5 hours just one mission jesus christ , cant wait to get this on christmast , i'm gonna wait till patch arrive with the disc!

I have it, it is a little let down. No safe house, missions are made by one go mechanic (no pause between mission) and some other stuff that some mentioned BUT:

On one mission I had choice to kill or not to kill someone connected with story plot, so there is big chance that there is more than one ending.

here's why hitman games doesn't have safehouses , its kinda true games like this has multiple ending when it comes no saving concept , lol u forgetting checkpoints...

Guest Lady Luck

Checkpoints don't save here. They only mark your current playthrough. So during the longer missions like Hunter and Hunted (which is broken into SEVEN parts) or Shaving Lenny (which has 6 targets) you can't save progress part way through and quit.

well that was shit , wtf are they thinking saving is important on a game like this hitman required patient , if you get screwed man this is gonna pissed me off start all over again JEEEEEEEAAAFufuuu