Chaurustaurs and Driders - Mod Project for shameless monsterfuckers

Sup, I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to making mods but a couple years ago I planned out this character design and back then, I thought it would never be possible to build it in game. Seeing all the crazy cool shit that's happening in the modding scene now, I got inspired and figured 'Hey why the fuck not just try it'.

This is Faenthir, he's pretty fucking gross. (This was a rough screenshot mashup of the original concept)
1727524039_SHITITSFAENTHIR.thumb.png.b520fc098267e0e40b8582060fa5f6c7.png

After dicking around with bodyslides outfit studio and nifskope, this is what I currently have in-game. vvvv
The only issue is that the mandibles sorta just float there and aren't linked to the head in any way. I'm also looking for a way to completely remove his lower jaw so I can fit the mandibles better. The chaurus half is also of course unanimated. I was wondering if anyone here would like to work on this with me to turn this into either a custom race, enemy, npc, whatever's possible really I'm not fussy. 
I'm hella inexperienced with 3d modeling software so I have no idea how to port the chaurus animations over, I know it's basically possible as it's been done for Spider Daedra already but I don't know where to start. Any advice or help yall can give me would be appreciated.
I'm also posting this in the adult section because I'm down to lewd him tbf.1904495891_TESV2018-12-1903-49-05-180.png.c00cf60bc2ea420d5432b50d2291ce1e.png635967544_TESV2018-10-0521-13-53-478.png.507fc791a9db1d1258b04c121a64b113.png177768140_TESV2018-12-1903-42-40-539.png.7be73fb1ca713d56768f28834cfd6004.png

This looks like it'd be a lot of fun to make. Animating it all, probably not so much hah but you could definitely animate the mandibles at least. If it were me, I'd make a few poses of the lower half for different situations and switch between them when needed, but that's only good for screenshots I guess. 

I'd love to give it a go though. I tried to but I ended up getting distracted and ended up making something else entirely lol, but I might give it another try.

• 1 year later...

20200421024202_1.jpg.2654a9f93a7e684545d15c5e9a06a793.jpg

Ayyy It's been like 2 years but I'm back! Given the way things are turning out I might be able to release all these assets soon.
I've learned a lil more since then and I've been bored during lockdown so I went back and made some new stuff. He's now got 2 sets of custom sculpted mandibles (one spread one not), six more eyes that I somehow forgot to add to my original reference, some shoulder spikes and a chaurus body that's now semi weight painted for better screenshots and even some animations.

751143775_DesktopScreenshot2020_04.25-23_58_50_16.png.38d6b0f2e1a6dee4dacc681e9a787b7c.png

The anim shown on my blog isn't all that lewd (despite the name I keep it mostly lewd free) but it turns out osex works pretty well. The only issue is that I'm now using SAM and his dick gets nuked cus of the chaurus 'outfit'. Not used to SAM at all so if you know how to fix that It'd be much preeshed. I'm still a big noob and also have no idea where to start in regards to sculpting one that'll be compatible, please throw any tips my way.

I'm also still kinda stumped as to how to get the legs working but I kind of have an idea for a non lewdable player version. There are mods that allow you to ride a chaurus, so I'm wondering if I could remove the heads from one of those mods and reposition the mount point. I tried just to test it out but I have no idea what I'm doing and it destroyed the mesh, so does removing parts of the mesh and deleting bones that aren't needed break the weighting or something? Cus despite only removing the head, the legs and tail broke too so i'm not sure what went wrong.1731509190_DesktopScreenshot2020_04.26-01_36_45_40.png.ea88f42c8c843ac0e5557c4d093438c5.png

Oh and another thing, I wanted to steal the venom drip animation from the chaurus and replace the texture with blood but i'm not sure where to find what I need or how to transfer it over to the mandible mesh or use it as a toggleable effect. If there's any tutorials that you'd recommend that could help with that it'd be real helpful.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally figured out how to pose the bug meshes in Blender so wooooooo more progress! Ideally I'd prefer to trigger poses using pose rings but for now the'yre seperate armors. I also finally got around to making it it's own esp as initially I was figuring all this out by overwriting a mermaid mods meshes, so expect an asset release soon.

Haven't taken any decent screenies of the new poses yet but for now I can post a new addition to the mod. The drider lad was planned first like 6 years ago and I'm not sure why I didn't just start with him first cus it was way easier.1022329214_DesktopScreenshot2020_05_14-00_11_14_35.png.5c179f2e261e638b8f388711868ebd9e.png

• 1 year later...

It took me long enough, but it seems that chopping the heads off mounts in Outfit Studio and repositioning the saddle bone does the trick.

Right now I'm repositioning with NIOPA since I've got the saddle bone rotated wrong, but for the most part it's working well. Mounted combat looks really jank right now as the hips sway too much, so I'll def be making custom combat animations following this. I hoped that Immersive horses would allow for mounted spellcasting but it doesn't seem to be working at all, maybe cus the mount isn't technically a horse? Archery also seems broken as it shoots off to the left but that might be due to other mods I have, possibly true directional movement?

But anyway both the chaurus lad and the drider are working as hoped, but both def need more work before I upload em. 

Current plans and things to do: 

• Figure out how to allow npcs to ride the mounts and stay on them forever (I need them as quest npcs) DONE
  • Add proper fur textures to the drider body
  • Make some more custom animations and figure out how to apply them to the mandibles 
  • Fix the saddle rotation DONE
  • Fix errors I made with the chaurus that broke the leg animations (p clear in the thumbnail, forelegs are kinda detached and back legs are awkward in anims cus of a mistake I made in outfit studio - I reposed the neck and it repositioned everything when applied for some reason.) DONE
  • Custom armors to make the seam a little less obvious with the drider - waist scarf? Fur textures? Actual armor?
  • Figure out how to prevent the spit effects during combat.
  • The top half of the player is a chopped edit of the male prisoner outfit, only one weight right now. 
  • Add the blood drip particles to the chaurus mandibles - I managed to do this by deconstructing a cum mod on LE, but would prefer to start from scratch rather than have ZAZ's whole animation pack as a requirement
  • Make better multi-eye equippable. I don't know if it's possible, but having the multiple eyes use the same texture as the actors eyes would be pretty cool. I've seen it done well in Sims 4 but I'm not sure if the CK will allow that. 
  • Probably more things I'm forgetting

See yall in another few years lol
Edited by faenthir69
progress
  • 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to it, I always want to play and hunt as a female drider, perhaps doing some quests too, and other stuffs while internet become unavailable whenever.
I have made animation overhaul for Second Life's content creator GarouGrey of Crreature Comfort's store who made his amazing drider avatar base and I reanimated the whole thing to work with another old drider emote HUD.
Advise not to use mobile to watch, sorry I filmed in such a dark area: 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/24/2021 at 6:30 PM, SpiriteusMjir said:

Looking forward to it, I always want to play and hunt as a female drider, perhaps doing some quests too, and other stuffs while internet become unavailable whenever.
I have made animation overhaul for Second Life's content creator GarouGrey of Crreature Comfort's store who made his amazing drider avatar base and I reanimated the whole thing to work with another old drider emote HUD.
Advise not to use mobile to watch, sorry I filmed in such a dark area: 

Daaaaaaaamn, great work!  Will def be using that for reference, I'm really struggling with the animation side of things. While I know how to apply the anims via public poser, I've got no idea how to replace the riding animations without changing it for horses. I did have some creepy walkcycle stuff prepared for the chaurus lad, but the vanilla anims don't look too bad, just a tad stiff. Maybe if I just loosen up the vanilla anims a lil they'll look alright on both mounts and horses. (loud music warning for the second vid, sorry I was groovin :( )

I did finally get them both working as NPCS, so the main focus now is the anims and getting the mounts to be recognized as horses. Immersive horses should be able to add the spellcasting and other interactions for the playable versions but I've got no idea how it handles npc combat. Right now the NPCs jump off the mounts when hit unless ignore combat is flagged. They don't have weapons though, so more tests to do.

I myself never done animation creation in havok or inside Skyrim's database before, but from what I know is that there's set of Animation Stages like walk, run, strafe left, strafe right, sit, stand, yikes, there's so many to name for 1 entity. The best way is to make custom animations of the entity instead of mounting them onto another armature. I am pretty useless to aid you from there, but that's all I figured. But your mount method works nice too. I wonder of Dynamic Animation Replacers could work since it is a giant Animation Overrider (AO).
Second Life have their own internal animations, all the goof walk, run, crouch, crouch walk, etc but they provide a script where we can use higher prioritized animations to replace the internal animations so they are almost invisible to see during the custom animations on play. Like how you see my drider, I made those animations. But yes, modding animations in SL is not the same as Skyrim where Havok is required to program behaviour of the animation... That's where I am limited to. 

• 8 months later...

Would this eventually be a playable race or how does this work? I read something about mounts but I’m terrible with understanding Skyrim modding, this is super unique and I’ve wanted to play as a drider for so long in Skyrim, especially now that I’m modding it into a grimdark setting 

On 7/19/2022 at 11:31 PM, chikapuffin said:

Would this eventually be a playable race or how does this work? I read something about mounts but I’m terrible with understanding Skyrim modding, this is super unique and I’ve wanted to play as a drider for so long in Skyrim, especially now that I’m modding it into a grimdark setting 

It's in progress by these legends! My version here is running as a jank mount setup as I didn't think a race running both animations would be possible. The centaur race proved me wrong haha. I'm working on a race version now built around said centaur mod as you'll see in this post but I still need to learn how to apply the vanilla anims to my custom mashed up skeleton. This is completely new territory for me and I have absolutely no clue how it works right now ?. These guys have an idea though! 

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...