CTD on vault 111

Dmouse52

so I re-installed FO 4 because it was becomming messed up so thought i'd start with a fresh install. Things went swimmingly but every time i come to descending into the vault for the 1st time I get the loading icon which freezes then it's ctd even when i've disabled all the mods. the most unusual bit though is I've tried starting with the normal launcher and it has to detect graphics settings. it's done this three times in a row now

1 hour ago, Dmouse52 said:

so I re-installed FO 4 because it was becomming messed up so thought i'd start with a fresh install. Things went swimmingly but every time i come to descending into the vault for the 1st time I get the loading icon which freezes then it's ctd even when i've disabled all the mods. the most unusual bit though is I've tried starting with the normal launcher and it has to detect graphics settings. it's done this three times in a row now

My advice:

Do not install any mods until you come out of the vault & talk to Codsworth for the first time.

?

59 minutes ago, Dmouse52 said:

Sorry, English is not my strength.
You mean, when you go into the Kyro capsule?

I suspect a problem with Mesh vs. Skeleton - since only 1st person is used here.

PS: What VonHelton says: Absolutely right

Just reinstalling the game via Steam won't do a proper reinstall.

Did you actually clean your game directory and the two externals:

...\documents\my games\Fallout 4

c:\\user\<username>\AppData\Local\Fallout 4

The Appdata folder is hidden by default, so you have to enable the display of hidden objects/files/folders in Windows.

If the game still crashes with a new playthrough and no mods, next question is do you have any Creation Club content installed? Try removing that, if that's even possible.

38 minutes ago, VonHelton said:

Do not install any mods until you come out of the vault & talk to Codsworth for the first time.

35 minutes ago, Andy14 said:

What VonHelton says: Absolutely right

No offense guys but before you say nonsense like that, better say nothing at all. If something like UFO4P isn't already loaded when you click on "New Game", then a lot of stuff is already messed up permanently. And it's even likely that the exact bug of the OP is fixed by UFO4P anyways.

19 minutes ago, guk said:

Just reinstalling the game via Steam won't do a proper reinstall.

Did you actually clean your game directory and the two externals:

...\documents\my games\Fallout 4

c:\\user\<username>\AppData\Local\Fallout 4

The Appdata folder is hidden by default, so you have to enable the display of hidden objects/files/folders in Windows.

If the game still crashes with a new playthrough and no mods, next question is do you have any Creation Club content installed? Try removing that, if that's even possible.

No offense guys but before you say nonsense like that, better say nothing at all. If something like UFO4P isn't already loaded when you click on "New Game", then a lot of stuff is already messed up permanently. And it's even likely that the exact bug of the OP is fixed by UFO4P anyways.

Then I will specify it:
There are mods that should not be activated (in game) before the pipboy has been equipped.
There are also mods that should not be activated before the vault has left.

And there are UFO4P and countless other examples - I have hopefully corrected that. I hope you understand it.
I've been wondering all the time, anyway - how could I do nearly 2400 hours for FO4 in CK without such great help.?

Nonsense is therefore in the eye of the beholder.

And without giving any mods or other other useful information, VonHelton's advice is valuable and your comment is correct but meaningless. ;)

2 hours ago, Dmouse52 said:

Your mods are listed in Plugins.txt.
In Drive\Users\You\Appdata\Local\Fallout\

(Maybe hidden - see post by guk)

All lines marked with * are activated mods.
Lines without * are installed but not activated.

2 hours ago, Andy14 said:

Then I will specify it:
There are mods that should not be activated (in game) before the pipboy has been equipped.
There are also mods that should not be activated before the vault has left.

And there are UFO4P and countless other examples - I have hopefully corrected that. I hope you understand it.
I've been wondering all the time, anyway - how could I do nearly 2400 hours for FO4 in CK without such great help.?

Nonsense is therefore in the eye of the beholder.

And without giving any mods or other other useful information, VonHelton's advice is valuable and your comment is correct but meaningless. ;)

Mods that should only be activated after leaving Vault 111 are rare exceptions and either clearly marked as such in their description (e.g. "complete quest X before installing this"), or trash mods that shouldn't be in your load order to begin with.

Besides that, the instruction to only activate any mods after the intro is simply false, dangerous and a recipe for bugs and crashes due to broken vanilla scripts, references and such baked into the savegame.

And wasn't it you who said he always has 1fps in some interiors? Maybe time to think about your modding strategy.

17 minutes ago, guk said:

Mods that should only be activated after leaving Vault 111 are rare exceptions and either clearly marked as such in their description (e.g. "complete quest X before installing this"), or trash mods that shouldn't be in your load order to begin with.

Besides that, the instruction to only activate any mods after the intro is simply false, dangerous and a recipe for bugs and crashes due to broken vanilla scripts, references and such baked into the savegame.

And wasn't it you who said he always has 1fps in some interiors? Maybe time to think about your modding strategy.

Once again.
There is no information about the mods - or you have what?
Therefore, VonHelton's advice is correct - until proven otherwise.
And you should read correctly: I wrote after Pipboy and this too very general.
If a mod list were available, more concrete information would be possible.
And since there is no mod list but only general blabla, only a general suggestion is appropriate.
An objection may, should and can always exist. But then please in the context (which is completely missing, because no indication of mods) and then factually.
But I see that you are a very smart one - now these FPS Drops actually exist. In Vanilla - not that your skills have anything to do with it. lol
I think - try to think. Just thinking about what's written in context. Not looking like a little boy in old threads and then nothing understood.

I do not think we should talk seriously about software development and / or modding.

well in the "my games directory" I had that deleted that before install.  as for AppData part it's ...er not going so well.. if at all as I'm unable to find anything like it

Mostly that's down my lack of understanding of why I actually need it and even why do hidden files even exist? unless they are there to make my a misery

Mods were largely cosmetic with three weapon mods thrown in

6 minutes ago, Dmouse52 said:

well in the "my games directory" I had that deleted that before install.  as for AppData part it's ...er not going so well.. if at all as I'm unable to find anything like it

Mostly that's down my lack of understanding of why I actually need it and even why do hidden files even exist? unless they are there to make my a misery

Mods were largely cosmetic with three weapon mods thrown in

How about if you write (as accurate as possible) what you have installed - or - what you want to install.
You see, there are minor discussions here - and of course everyone is right.
To not make it worse for me and guk - I like his style (except today) and his type of Fo4 - please write what happened.
Step by step.

First question: Did you delete the data (at least the data) in the folder Fallout 4?
If not, do it and then re-install FO4.

i had installed CBBE and bodyslide , looks menu and custom compendium, Male take over (without city males plugin as that's known to crash the game), changing the T45 armour to T51 on the museum roof, changing the american flag to a union jack (sorry about that..actually no not really) and lazman's clothing replacer. ASA  clothing and easy girl outfits with and without physics and also asuka police outfit.

I kept it short with a view to adding animation later

You wrote "so i re-installed FO 4 because it becomming messed up so thought i'd start with a fresh install"

My question: Did you delete the folder Data or at least the content.
The installation / reinstallation only replaces the basic-files: Esp, esm, bsa etc.
Loose files with the same name in the same directory have a higher priority when starting Fo4 - as if files in the BSA were overwritten.

So, have you deleted or emptied your data?

I did indeed. what I normally do is delete the entire FO4 file from common, then delete the entire FO4 file from my games section so NMM has make a new one ,then into steam library itself  and un-install game from there in that order, after that re-install game.

The AppData section was news to me because that's something I never had to do with skyrim

here is my checklist for bug finding.

Don't delete anything yet

1. Using your mod launcher, turn off nearly everything (DLC's and CC excluded)

1a. Slowly enable mods until it CTD's and then you have the found the issue otherwise if it still CTD then

2. rename your config files inside \Documents\My Games\Fallout4

2a. start copying and paste the data from the original to it new version until it CTD's and then you have the found the issue otherwise if it still CTD then

3. rename most of the folders inside Fallout 4\Data such as meshes, scripts, textures if it still CTD then

3a. slowly rename the folders back to normal and if you find the problem folder then move half of the folders content back to its normal folder until it crashes

(this one has happened to me so many times now. (once it was a blank text file inside an animation folder that I wasn't using))

4. I have no idea

or download this mod and maybe it would work https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/18946

10 hours ago, Andy14 said:

Once again.
There is no information about the mods - or you have what?
Therefore, VonHelton's advice is correct - until proven otherwise.
And you should read correctly: I wrote after Pipboy and this too very general.
If a mod list were available, more concrete information would be possible.
And since there is no mod list but only general blabla, only a general suggestion is appropriate.
An objection may, should and can always exist. But then please in the context (which is completely missing, because no indication of mods) and then factually.
But I see that you are a very smart one - now these FPS Drops actually exist. In Vanilla - not that your skills have anything to do with it. lol
I think - try to think. Just thinking about what's written in context. Not looking like a little boy in old threads and then nothing understood.

I do not think we should talk seriously about software development and / or modding.

Little boy? Right. It's not gonna help you making your point when you start calling names and whine like a little bitch, just because you have nothing to back up your statement.

So which mod exactly has to be installed after getting the pip-boy? That pip-boy remover mod? Or is it because some mods add holotapes at game start which are gone after the intro?

Besides that my statement stays true, your mods have to be active and sorted at game start unless a mod specifies that it shouldn't.

I even backed up this statement, just gonna repeat it: When you have vanilla scripts and references baked into the savegame which are removed or edited later, this will ruin your savegame. This is effectively the same principle for removing mods during a playthrough.

Ok problem gone away basically what I did was to re-install the game with no mods other than bodylide, CBBE, unique player only and Lazman's clothing replacers with physics and carefully added other mods after entering Vault 111 but just exactly what caused it to happen I couldn't say

Archived