Upgrading PC to allow VR

Outlast1

I understand there are requirements for what hardware you need to run VR, but my current mother board and pc are not designed for it. My computer is a bit old and was upgraded 2 years ago about. I am trying to rebuild from scratch a brand new pc but not sure whats good to start with, I have seen some you tube videos but I wanted to ask some of you Guru's what I need to build a good pc that can support VR and can handle some intense MP games like for instance BDO, Warthunder, COH2, soul caliber 6. I need to get a brand new mother board, case, I have a gtx 1080 GPU with centrifugal fan, x2 8Gb ddr3. But the rest is not adequate running a 330w PSU, this is a an alien-ware x51 r2.

1.) What would be a good case that allows good cooling and easy access, I want LED lights on the inside.

2.) mother board, and should I get Icore 7 8700k?

3.) good Wifi card for stable internet connection?

4.) What kind of cooler fans 250mm or something else.

5.) should I get SSD or another HDD? if either what kind.

6.) I would like to get a dual monitor system but unsure what to get that is decently priced?

7.) I know nothing about overclocking when I build it should I overclock and how?

8.) What would be a good PSU for this machine?

Thanks you guys if you answer Its been pretty difficult trying to find a way to build a good pc for VR there are load of recomendations but most I have seen run over 2k and that isnt right I dont believe.

I will only answer the things I am most familiar with. I don't use dual monitors or a wifi card so I can't comment there. (Other than you want IPS monitors with decent reponse times for gaming)

Case - Something with a nice mesh front and room for airflow would be best for cooling. I really love the Fractal Design Meshify C case. 

CPU  - 8700k is still a great choice and would pair nicely with a GTX 1080. You can get some overclocking out of it as well (you will want good cooling though because 8700s get hot). It uses LGA 1151 socket but only works on boards with a 300 series chip (z370 for example). My second recommendation and probably even a better bang for the buck is a i5 8600k. 

Motherboard - Personally I use a Gigabyte Auros Gaming 7. But there's a lot of good gaming boards out there. Like I said just make sure you get the correct chipset. And probably look for one with decent wifi as well since there's a lot of options. I'd recommend purchasing a motherboard combination with a 8700k on newegg. That way you will for sure get a compatible one, one in a similar hardware tier, and save money as well. 

SSD - It depends if you want one for storage or not. I would always recommend a SSD over a HDD but it will cost more of course. If you want the most benefit from an SSD for cheap get a 120gb one and use it for your OS disk.  Then you could use a 7200 rpm HDD for storage. 

PSU - Don't ever skimp on the PSU. You definitely want at least a bronze certified but the higher the better. Get a known brand as well. Be Quiet ,Corsair, EVGA, OCZ, Thermaltake. It's important to have enough amps on the 12V+ rail for your GPU and CPU. But to keep it simple most people just go with a higher watt one. Probably any decent brand 650w+ would be fine. I'm using 650w with a 8700k overclocked to 5Ghz and a 1080 ti. 

About keeping it under 2k. Well I think gaming on dual monitors will require more power than a VR headset. Even though VR is technically two monitors, there's technology that optimizes it pretty well now. It's possible to get a rig that can do fine in VR for well under 2k.  But since you want a CPU that wont bottleneck your 1080 and dual monitors the price jumps up. And SSDs big enough for storage will also raise the price considerably. 

Archived