How to get started modding?

As someone who likes m/m themed content there is a very finite amount of content that caters to that viewpoint. I was patient for a while taking what content I could find, but after a while I decided that I should actually inquire about content. I posted about a week ago a few suggestions for content and as expected I was told to try making my own content as what I requested wasn't too difficult to make (Shirts: Mesh Alterations/Tattoos).  It was like a light bulb going off and I realized, I could do it, and probably should since I can't expect others to create content that will fit my wants exactly.

Well its been a week and I've 'made' 22 mods:

Foot Slider Mod (Potentially going to combine it with lumialover's foot slider mod so it also does height): Bigger Feet

Uncontainable Dick: Army pants with dick poking out the top in 3 sizes

Wetsuit with bulge and optional cumstain (based on XLD_Marverick's Jumpsuit

Unitard with bulge and optional cumstain (Based on BustedPixel's Unitard)

Bigger bulge jock with optional cumstain (Based on AGP_CKU's jockstrap)

At attention shirt (in second photo) 4 colors with optional cumstain (Edited TS4 base shirt)

Dirty Words Tank Top (Edited TS4 Base Shirt)

Hung mods: Hung/Giant Soft and 3 varieties of hung/giant hard. (Based on Vibrasims & Dark/Noir Sim's penis mods with mesh modified to make them huge.) (example not shown but similar to second photo) [All mentions of dicks in models will refer to content edited from Vibrasims and Dark & Noir Sim's content]

Self Fuck: Similar to hung mod except I looped it around back ;) (Dark/Noir)

Uncontainable Dick: Jockstrap with dick hanging out (incomplete issue with shadow appearing on texture) (Based on AGP_CKU's jockstrap)

Uncontainable Dick:  Boxers with extra textures from Julie J with Dark & Noir Sims dick poking out the top (featured in third photo)

Uncontainable Dick: Gym Shorts (incomplete, need to figure out how to anchor the dick to) (Based on TS4 Boxers but using Juilie J's Boxer's textures)

Uncontainable Dick: Shirtless Overalls (incomplete, need to figure out how to anchor the dick so it doesnt clip) (Based on Julie J's shirtless repairman outfit)

Uncontainable Dick: Boxerbriefs (Incomplete, texture issues)

A wide variety of tattoos (one chest tattoo is featured in the third photo) (Created from scratch)

Inserted objects: Baseball bat/Dildo/Beer Bottle (incomplete, not sure what they are anchored to but in blender they are where they should be but in game they float around and wave in the air randomly) (Based on Bottle/Dildo: Dark/Noir Baseball Bat: (cant find original file)

My so as far as my question goes, I've already started down the path of modding but have hit a bit of a stagnancy as I've quickly outgrown the guides I've used.

My inquires are:

At what point would you say content is complete enough to post on here? Can I post incomplete/beta versions where clipping/texture issues are still happening?

Most of my mods used other people's mods as a base, I understand the requirements for posting are to give credit where credit is due, but I downloaded A LOT of clothing mods and not all of them have file names that identify the creator, is it fine to just credit the file name?

If I post modified content using files that the original creator no longer offers is that ok?

I made a slider with TS4MorphMaker, I keep getting the error "Index was outside the bounds of the array" what does this mean? I tried googling it with no luck.

I am combining multiple mesh files and the textures sometimes pose an issue. Does anyone have a link to a guide for how to modify Sims 4 Texture Maps?

I am terrible at making digital 2d art, for posting content I assume I'll need to have proper thumbnails.  Any suggestions on where I might be able to request one made? I figured coping an image off a google search might lead to rather embarrassing situations if the original artist ever found out.

1 hour ago, ShadowMonkey said:

1) At what point would you say content is complete enough to post on here? Can I post incomplete/beta versions where clipping/texture issues are still happening?

2) Most of my mods used other people's mods as a base, I understand the requirements for posting are to give credit where credit is due, but I downloaded A LOT of clothing mods and not all of them have file names that identify the creator, is it fine to just credit the file name?

3) If I post modified content using files that the original creator no longer offers is that ok?

4) I made a slider with TS4MorphMaker, I keep getting the error "Index was outside the bounds of the array" what does this mean? I tried googling it with no luck.

5) I am combining multiple mesh files and the textures sometimes pose an issue. Does anyone have a link to a guide for how to modify Sims 4 Texture Maps?

1) As soon you feel it is working. You can always post V2 later. Just state any unfinished work in your downloads.

2) Depends on the statments done by original author. Most of the times crediting him/her is enough, but not always. Ask the staff for a specific mod in case you don't know.

3) Same as 2. If no rules are given, then it is OK, but credit. If rules were given, just respect them.

5) all items (human) for Sims use the same mesh UV, so it is quite easy to find the right spot. Just put some random colors spot in your mesh, until you will find the right place.

I hope you get the permissions you need to release this content, as you correctly pointed out there's a very finite amount of content that is specifically targeted to gay males, a lot of the stuff you have mentioned sounds like it would make a wonderful addition to my game and I'm sure others feel the same way.

Good luck and best wishes.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...