Mod Organizer 2 vs. Nexus Mod Manager

So I started to rebuild a new Skyrim SE setup and wanted to use Mod organizer 2 because NMM is nor 100% reliable at uninstalling mods and other stuff.

So I downloaded it, watched some Videos how to install it. Installed some stuff(manual). But for some reason some mods dont want to work. For example Bodyslide Tools has no bodies and stuff(blank fields). The CBBE body  I installed, does not show up ingame.  Also FNIS seems to have its problems. Then I read,"you need to start some of these tools first manual with admin permissions".... I did and now it tells me that some dll is missing... .

Of course I did something wrong so I ask here. And thinking about burning the whole installation down again.

Is MO2 really worth it?

you really did something wrong there (is your skyrim se a original copy? if not make sure you run DirectX vc_redist.x64 vc_redist.x86 because in the pirates it dont auto install)

reinstall mo2 make sure the Path/Base directory is in the same disk of the game crash is secured if not, some mods you have to directly install in the game like Fuz Ro D-oh

bodyslide is not hard just read the MO2 in the description in Nexus

My word is, use MO2 it is more or less nothing to think about.

And you need to learn.

All plugins like Fnis/Bodyslide must be active in your left side, they dont work if you dont have them activated.

If you are looking at tubes use Gophers.

1 hour ago, jalog100 said:

you really did something wrong there (is your skyrim se a original copy? if not make sure you run DirectX vc_redist.x64 vc_redist.x86 because in the pirates it dont auto install)

reinstall mo2 make sure the Path/Base directory is in the same disk of the game crash is secured if not, some mods you have to directly install in the game like Fuz Ro D-oh

bodyslide is not hard just read the MO2 in the description in Nexus

Skyrim SE is original from Steam. And I know that FNIS has some spyware in it( I disagree with the mod autors opinion).

1 hour ago, Uncle64 said:

My word is, use MO2 it is more or less nothing to think about.

And you need to learn.

All plugins like Fnis/Bodyslide must be active in your left side, they dont work if you dont have them activated.

If you are looking at tubes use Gophers.

I will check his stuff. I used 

Tonyo Allie 

but this dude is quiet fast.

1 hour ago, Alter Native said:

Use Mod Organizer, it's a no brainer.

It takes some time to get used to it, but it's worth it. You need to start FNIS and Bodyslide via the mod manger, don't forget this.

Ok I will try that on the new installation

Thank you guys

Definitely use MO2 over NMM. 

The main install issue you'll run into is that MO2 won't try to fix the directory structure when you install a mod so you always want to do manual install and make sure it has the correct directory structure (mostly just a matter of drilling down to where the data directory should be and set that as the data directory.  If MO sees files/directories that it recognizes there you should see a green "Looks Good" message at the bottom of the window.  For some mods like Bodyslide or other third party tools you might need to create an empty textures or meshes directory just so MO will see something there it recognizes.  Otherwise it will flag that mod as invalid.

If you just click install without verifying the directory, about half of the time all of the files that Skyrim would actually use will end up buried inside another directory where Skyrim won't find it.  For instance a lot of mods will put things into a /data directory so MO will put that in /data/data and it won't do anything.

1. Make sure you run those utility programs like FNIS & Bodyslide THROUGH MO/MO2. It's vital you do that, or else they won't see the inside the virtual file structure.

2. Do not install MO/MO2 to the same directory as your game's installation directory.

It is so clunky and unintuitive...      If this was a Product, I would not buy it. 

4 hours ago, eodx9000 said:

1. Make sure you run those utility programs like FNIS & Bodyslide THROUGH MO/MO2. It's vital you do that, or else they won't see the inside the virtual file structure.

2. Do not install MO/MO2 to the same directory as your game's installation directory.

I did so but,...  arghh (game does for some reason not run)

I turned some mods off now I have some Backups between my mods. Now I need to read on the internet what to do with that. Oh basic Mods like FNIS or SKSE,.. can you install it with no brain via MO2,... no you can t....  Oh another weird symbol, what to make of that?... But keep the Priority in mind and... Then running FNIS some small black windows flash up for a short moment... well why?... 

You can argue how limited NMM is.

Fine, I agree 100% on that, but it frigging works for the most time.

I keep fighting with MO2.  Maybe I m faster that the release of Star Citizen.

But on the other side I could learn something useful, like improving my Excel and other office skills... 

On 7/18/2018 at 6:28 PM, ZI0MATRIX said:

It is so clunky and unintuitive...      If this was a Product, I would not buy it. 

I did so but,...  arghh (game does for some reason not run)

I turned some mods off now I have some Backups between my mods. Now I need to read on the internet what to do with that. Oh basic Mods like FNIS or SKSE,.. can you install it with no brain via MO2,... no you can t....  Oh another weird symbol, what to make of that?... But keep the Priority in mind and... Then running FNIS some small black windows flash up for a short moment... well why?... 

You can argue how limited NMM is.

Fine, I agree 100% on that, but it frigging works for the most time.

I keep fighting with MO2.  Maybe I m faster that the release of Star Citizen.

But on the other side I could learn something useful, like improving my Excel and other office skills... 

I come from years of using NMM while having only started seriously using MO2 as of a couple of months ago. Not a day goes by that NMM hasn't frozen up on me in the past year. MO2 coughs up sometimes and I'll fully admit I had several issues that caused me to dump MO2 for a good while, but now it's working well enough I don't even remember what it was that finally got it working, but you do have my sympathy and empathy.

So two more things:

1. Try reinstalling Skyrim.

2. Verify the paths in MO2 settings to make sure they all point to the right folders. I for instance keep my "/downloads/" folder on a different drive while my base directory sits right on the C:/ drive (so it's C:/ModOrganizer/...).

10 hours ago, eodx9000 said:

I come from years of using NMM while having only started seriously using MO2 as of a couple of months ago. Not a day goes by that NMM hasn't frozen up on me in the past year. MO2 coughs up sometimes and I'll fully admit I had several issues that caused me to dump MO2 for a good while, but now it's working well enough I don't even remember what it was that finally got it working, but you do have my sympathy and empathy.

So two more things:

1. Try reinstalling Skyrim.

2. Verify the paths in MO2 settings to make sure they all point to the right folders. I for instance keep my "/downloads/" folder on a different drive while my base directory sits right on the C:/ drive (so it's C:/ModOrganizer/...).

Did this yesterday evening. Now I have to learn what to do with the Overwrite bar at the bottom.

Why some mods don t appear in the MCM menu... You know... the stuff that just Works with the inferior NMM.

Detail: FNIS is installed and works finally, now I want to install Sexy Idle, Sexy move and Player Exlusive. So that like in past I can turn on and off these Animations ingame. Now they don t appear in the MCM...

Ah also it turned out that My Racemenu port I did with the tutorial was alright but one component that was needed for doing that is buggy. (it caused the CTD)

What I mean with work is, that you often just need one double click to let something install and that need to take MO2 by the hand and explain it where the mod should be placed in. "where is the data for this mod?" 

I already start to take breaks like you did to calm down when the way MO2, again, make things needlessly complicated.

It is so bad designed,... no wonder they now make Vortex.

But I keep fighting with it. 

So after a break a found a solution to the mcm problem. Solution: fiddling with the core game folder... 

"MO2 does not touch the core files..." yeah because now I have to do that

But again problems problems problems.

On NMM could install Sexy idle and PCEA2  and switch between idles. Now if I try to switch, the character goes into vanilla idle.

FNIS for some reason has problems finding. But hey now I know that Fore(the guy from FNIS) has a problem with Tannin(MO MO2 Vortex guy) 

H:\SteamLibrary 2\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\data\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users\temporary_logs

let me guess... I need to put that file there?

If I can t get this solved today I go back to NMM

MO2 right now is a pain in the ass.

I could have installed my old heavily modded Skyrim SE  twice.

4 hours ago, ZI0MATRIX said:

Did this yesterday evening. Now I have to learn what to do with the Overwrite bar at the bottom.

Why some mods don t appear in the MCM menu... You know... the stuff that just Works with the inferior NMM.

Detail: FNIS is installed and works finally, now I want to install Sexy Idle, Sexy move and Player Exlusive. So that like in past I can turn on and off these Animations ingame. Now they don t appear in the MCM...

Ah also it turned out that My Racemenu port I did with the tutorial was alright but one component that was needed for doing that is buggy. (it caused the CTD)

What I mean with work is, that you often just need one double click to let something install and that need to take MO2 by the hand and explain it where the mod should be placed in. "where is the data for this mod?" 

I already start to take breaks like you did to calm down when the way MO2, again, make things needlessly complicated.

It is so bad designed,... no wonder they now make Vortex.

But I keep fighting with it. 

So after a break a found a solution to the mcm problem. Solution: fiddling with the core game folder... 

"MO2 does not touch the core files..." yeah because now I have to do that

But again problems problems problems.

On NMM could install Sexy idle and PCEA2  and switch between idles. Now if I try to switch, the character goes into vanilla idle.

FNIS for some reason has problems finding. But hey now I know that Fore(the guy from FNIS) has a problem with Tannin(MO MO2 Vortex guy) 

H:\SteamLibrary 2\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\data\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users\temporary_logs

let me guess... I need to put that file there?

If I can t get this solved today I go back to NMM

MO2 right now is a pain in the ass.

I could have installed my old heavily modded Skyrim SE  twice.

I honestly don't know what else to tell you. :(

57 minutes ago, eodx9000 said:

I honestly don't know what else to tell you. :(

No problem.

I keep using NMM and switch to Vortex when needed.

Also Tannin(MO2 Developer) now works for Nexus...

I also watched some Vortex review videos.

When Vortex is out of Alpha it will be a good combination of NMM and MO2.

With a learning curve that adapt to the user.

MO2 is much better than NMM.

Like seriously.. Mod Organizer doesn't fill your Skyrim original folder with mods and stuffs since it manages a virtual folder for the game. You can easily uninstall any mod installed in less than a second, just uncheck the box and it's done. You could even disable ALL of your mods in second if you wanted for some reason. You can view what mod is overwriting or being overwriten by what mod, and then just drag and drop the mod entries to make your own adjustments and decide which mod should overwrite what. And there's a whole other cool stuff that just makes your life easier. And to be honest it's not that hard to learn how to use it either.

MO doesn't handle files that are not inside Data folder, but let's be honest nothing needs to be outside of the Data folder, besides SKSE and your ENB files..

When using MO you must remember that your Skyrim folder is actually clean, so you can't run things manually outside of the Mod Organizer, you must always run any third party program inside MO, so they can recognize your mods.

Most of these third party stuff creates files that initially goes inside the Overwrite folder. That folder means it will take highest priority over all your mods, no wonder the folder name.. You can easily drag and drop the contents of that folder inside the mod entry (folder) that you wish. Always make sure your Overwrite folder is empty to avoid conflicts you're not expecting. If you wish you can even create an empty mod folder and put all the stuffs from Overwrite folder inside there.

When you run FNIS through MO, it WILL create files inside the Overwrite folder, take those files and create a mod called "FNIS Patch" or something and put them all there, and then activate it. You could even multiple MO profiles that have different animations activated and different "FNIS Patches" mods for each, and they would work for each profile.

About those temporary logs from FNIS, if you're using MO, just do the method I mentioned above. Create a FNIS Patch mod with all the files placed in Overwrite mod by FNIS, and activate it. If you wish to run FNIS again, simple disable or delete that "FNIS Patch Mod" and run FNIS from MO again. It will create new files inside the Overwrite folder, now just repeat the process of making a "new mod" (it's just a folder actually) for it and activate it. 

8 hours ago, ZI0MATRIX said:

No problem.

I keep using NMM and switch to Vortex when needed.

Also Tannin(MO2 Developer) now works for Nexus...

I also watched some Vortex review videos.

When Vortex is out of Alpha it will be a good combination of NMM and MO2.

With a learning curve that adapt to the user.

Yeah, let's hope so anyways. :D

MO2 is the choice of manger if you plan to install hundreds of mods and if u do delete once in awhile mods u dont want to have anymore.

All tools including FNIS and Bodyslide  Outfitstudio  work flawlessly and reliable, if followed the instructions. One thing to remember for FNIS  for user files ,, you need to disable first ur fnis output file  before starting a new  generate fnis for users.

But the most important benefit that makes MO2 the best modmanger is.:  your Syrim root folder is alwlays clean.

mo2 for certain, especially if you used mo for skyrim.  Personally I install the portable version of it, and set the base download directory manually to the location on my hard drive where all the mods for that version of the game sits.

Here are a couple of odd things I found with mo2, which I have been using with various amounts of success since the beta1 version, in that none of the alpha builds worked at all.

Fallout 4 you can install mo2 inside the fallout directory and it will work, no idea why but for me it does work with no problems.

Skyrim se, I did use to have it installed inside the game directory and it worked, then one of the updates, not sure if it was a windows 10 update or one of the mo2 updates, had various tools stop working, wrye and bodyslide being the two I noticed, spent ages trying to sort it out, then moved the install outside the game directory pointed all the paths to the new location and bam, everything started working again.

Though if you do have problems with the version on nexus it may well be worth looks at lepresidente discord server which has more update versions on it, they may well have fixes for the problems you are having.

A more interesting choice would be between MO2 and Vortex IMO.  Vortex has most of the same advantages as MO does and IMO it's already superior to NMM.  It does still have some glitches that need to be worked out though and in it's current state I still consider MO2 superior.

as from the things we heard vortex is just in its beginnings. Mo2 , portable version as mentioned above , is to me the most reliable manager for FO4 and Skyrim , SSE.  I will never change my running system to a different manger.. for new games i use game specifiv managers like...

KDC manger or witcher 3 manager  Most other games dont need a manger because they developers dont offer tools for modding.

MO2 rocks for me. Vortex is just a hype , that has to proof

Archived