Hi all.

So, I am very new to modding (<2 weeks). I've accomplished a lot, I think. I've bullied my way to a rough understanding of Creation Kit, BodySlide/Outfit Studio, etc. working through getting the hang of Papyrus now.

But I've hit a hang up. Blender/Nifskope and making clothes and armors. I've had a world of problems with importing/exporting/converting, etc. and my usual method of, "Start a project and figure everything out by trial and error" has not been working.

I want to change the mesh/textures of the standard wedding dress to something with an open front, deleting the mesh faces that make up the central panel/neckline and lower sleeves of the dress for npcs in my mod to wear (pics attached as example).

It turns out that doing so is above my pay grade/knowledge base. Converting in and out of .nif format has proven to be a huge barrier. I can edit the meshes fine in Blender 2.7+, but doing the .nif conversion in Blender 2.49 yields.. garbage. Plus, I'm working on a 64-bit system, and running the 32-bit Blender 2.49/Nifskope version that can import/export .obj files is crazy laggy and buggy.

So...I guess I'm requesting one of two things: Either advice on how to accomplish this project, or I'm humbly asking someone with a greater skill set to do it for me.

Thanks for any and all help you can provide.

post-1864987-0-36022500-1495905217_thumb.png

post-1864987-0-43068500-1495905223_thumb.png

Load the nif into nifskope right click the dress and go to file - export - export .OBJ repeat so you can grab the .OBJ file and place it into a folder to load into blender. Once you load the .OBJ click on the dress go down to the object mode and change it to edit mode. Next hit P and try to separate the parts. There are 3 separate by selection by material and by loose parts. (Note loose part one will make tons of parts so you will want to rejoin them later before exporting otherwise outfit studio will not like it and export each part out one at a time can take awhile to do. To rejoin the parts just click one piece then hold down shift key and select each piece one at a time and when you clicked most or all of them hold down CTRL adn hit J to fuse them back together. The top part of the dress the shirt part would have to be zapped out using outfit studio.

Move all the parts that you want to try to remove to see what they are all attached to then delete the ones out that you can. Skyrim in game armors and outfits do not have a body under most parts so you'll have to add a new one and then fix any clipping areas that might pop up.

post-25667-0-52975900-1495907390_thumb.png

After export\import .obj files you shall make skinning for this model (re-attach all bones weights to vertices).

For simple edit like this try to use Outfit Studio - latest versions allow you to delete vertices or split shapes into separate sub-shapes.

And OS works with .nif files directly.

Also, if you want to delete some part of the mesh, you can just remove all bone weights from this part. No weights = no render.

P.s. here wedding dress mesh, what I made via OS in 2 minutes =)

outfitf_1.nif

Load the nif into nifskope right click the dress and go to file - export - export .OBJ repeat so you can grab the .OBJ file and place it into a folder to load into blender. Once you load the .OBJ click on the dress go down to the object mode and change it to edit mode. Next hit P and try to separate the parts. There are 3 separate by selection by material and by loose parts. (Note loose part one will make tons of parts so you will want to rejoin them later before exporting otherwise outfit studio will not like it and export each part out one at a time can take awhile to do. To rejoin the parts just click one piece then hold down shift key and select each piece one at a time and when you clicked most or all of them hold down CTRL adn hit J to fuse them back together. The top part of the dress the shirt part would have to be zapped out using outfit studio.

Move all the parts that you want to try to remove to see what they are all attached to then delete the ones out that you can. Skyrim in game armors and outfits do not have a body under most parts so you'll have to add a new one and then fix any clipping areas that might pop up.

Thank you! This is immensely helpful.

After export\import .obj files you shall make skinning for this model (re-attach all bones weights to vertices).

For simple edit like this try to use Outfit Studio - latest versions allow you to delete vertices or split shapes into separate sub-shapes.

Also, if you want to delete some part of the mesh, you can just remove all bone weights from this part. No weights = no render.

Holy crap! Thanks! 2 minutes?? You're unbelievable.

The only question i have now- when I add it into CK, it replaces the body texture of the custom race I'm using. She now has an invisible body. What's the correct fix for this?

The only question i have now- when I add it into CK, it replaces the body texture of the custom race I'm using. She now has an invisible body. What's the correct fix for this?

It happen because it's only dress mesh.

In Skyrim almost all body armors (or clothes) also have body as separate shape (for examples you can look at vanilla Nocturnal dress, or any body armor part from any armor mod).

So, you need to add body shape under this dress - UNP, 7BO, UUNP, CBBE or anything for your taste.

Use Outfit studio for that.

And also, if you use breast or butt physics, you shall add corresponding bones on this dress.

P.s. and sorry about my bad english =)

It happen because it's only dress mesh.

In Skyrim almost all body armors (or clothes) also have body as separate shape (for examples you can look at vanilla Nocturnal dress, or any body armor part from any armor mod).

So, you need to add body shape under this dress - UNP, 7BO, UUNP, CBBE or anything for your taste.

Use Outfit studio for that.

And also, if you use breast or butt physics, you shall add corresponding bones on this dress.

P.s. and sorry about my bad english =)

Thank you! And I don't think you should ever apologize for your English. I think that the ability to speak/write in any other language than your native one - at any level- is impressive.