"Lore-Friendly" Devious Devices

Code Serpent

Probably a very weird idea for most of you, but I've been thinking a lot about how to make Devious Devices 'fit' into Skyrim's lore. I focus on story a lot with my characters, so this has bothered me for a while.

Anyway, here are some lore plot lines on how certain devices were invented. They could possibly be used for a quest line, or used as a guideline on where devices should be found, or just to be used as a head-cannon to help people like me cope that there are latex high-heels in a ancient Scandinavian country.

Iron Chastity Belt:

When the 500 Companions started their conquest into Skyrim, they took some elven prisoners. Nords are obviously a very proud race, and didn't want their bloodlines being 'fouled' with elvish hybrids. So, they made crude chastity belts to chastize the elvish women, so any randy warriors wouldn't get any ideas.

Padded Steel Restraints:

During the reign of the Dragon Cult, virgins were sacrificed to the dragons and the dragon priests. To ensure they were virgins, the sacrifices wore ornate embossed chastity devices, as well as decorative cuffs and collars that formally marked these women as offerings to the dragons.

Leather Devices & Pony Boots:

The initial invasion of the Yokudans (ancient Redguards) was very successful, and the first wave took many prisoners. With the Redguard's love of horses, and the cities they invaded becoming more and more cramped, too cramped for carriages, they needed an alternative way for the rich and noble to get around. So...Pony Girl drawn chariots.

Restrictive Devices:

High Rock, home of the Bretons, is rife with political strife, with a lot of feudal lords battling for land, resources, and political power. It also has a very strict caste system, and a lot of strict customs, resembling medieval Europe a lot. One of the customs is extremely rigid and upright posture. So, the Breton Lords made these restrictive devices; corsets, posture collars, high heeled boots, to train their servants or mistresses to keep this posture at all times.

Hobble Dresses and Ballet Shoes:

High Elves also have high standards for posture and poise, as well as being obsessed with fashion. The logical conclusion would be to make awkwardly tight dresses and ridiculous high-heeled shoes to train their poise and stride, while also looking sexy as succubi.

Rubber & Latex:

Scholars have long thought there could be more uses to Dwarven Oil than as an alchemical reagent, or as a lubricant. A handful of trained smiths and alchemists have managed to heat and press oil enough to create a flexible, insulated, yet durable material. They have only managed to create small pieces of it so far, but some scholars think entire suits could be made of the material. They theorize the suits would have been used to protect against the hot metal of Centurions when Dwemer Engineers were working on them or piloting them.

I'm liking the idea of this, making the devices lore-friendly. (And I'm as un-lore-friendly as you can get! XD!)

It has great merit, if you ask me.

Maybe it might be an idea to pass it to the DD team. They might possibly implement the ideas you've incorporated into a lore-friendly tome or two.

In my personal Skyrim, I usually pretend that the dwemer created some ancient magic enslaving system (for keeping the snow elfs in check and docile, and possibly also their own womenfolk... we know almost nothing about dwemer culture, so entirely possible). Than some lucky (or stupid) adventurer came along and stumbled over the system and the schematics of the devices. He activated the machine and suddenly the women of Skyrim become way more docile and submissive.

That's my reasoning for the abundance of docile slave girls running around in Skyrim all of a sudden. I mean, NORD women being happy as docile fucktoys!?!... must be some really strong magic going on here. :D

I actually wanted to write a quest mod for it for a long time now, where you investigate this issue and finally find the "dwemer enslaving engine" and decide if you deactivate it or be its new operator (and giving you the power to manipulate devices with your will alone, direct the submissiveness to males, some other cool stuff etc.). But never came around to do it, I prefer to actually play in my sparse free time. :D

However, if someone will take the idea, I would be forever grateful to her/him.

Another good lore reasoning for all those weird things going on can be provided by the backstory of "Slaverun reloaded".

Molag Bal is not named the lord of slavery for nothing

Best regards

Kalderon

With deviously cursed loot in mind (and the often magic-like effect of Devious Devices, nobody can/wants to cut the leather, you're often compelled to try them on): As how often I find these things in Draugr crypts, my lore would indicate that a lot of the stuff is from the times when dragons ruled. To toy with rebellious eye candy, or (if not rebellious themselves) to humilate/subjugate their relatives. Perhaps a lot of these things were distributed in larger numbers as part of a larger ploy: If humans begin to enslave each other, the men/mer become more likely to submitt to a hirarchy led by the dragons...

With the dragons gone, the magic of the devices waned and a few hundred years later their purpose is largely forgotten (or part of adult fairy tales). Some people have such items in their houses, but mostly as kinky curiosities. Now with the Dragons reborn, their magic re-awakens within the devices to some unforseen consequences (and with some people undestanding it and trying to make the most of it...).

I always like more lore-friendly mods :P I've been toying with the idea of adding some tomes to explain various sexlab related things; racial differences and the term "elf tight", inception of the underground slave trade, why women wear such skimpy armor/clothes, the reasoning/magic behind estrus attacks, and how all these chests got cursed in DCL anyway :P

Obviously with that many different books referencing different mods, it would have to be separate mods or lots of different install options. I don't know that a full quest mod would really be necessary, it would be fun to just find some books lying around that explain things if you're willing to read them.

P.S. I'm on team UUNP ;)

I always like more lore-friendly mods :P I've been toying with the idea of adding some tomes to explain various sexlab related things; racial differences and the term "elf tight", inception of the underground slave trade, why women wear such skimpy armor/clothes, the reasoning/magic behind estrus attacks, and how all these chests got cursed in DCL anyway :P

Obviously with that many different books referencing different mods, it would have to be separate mods or lots of different install options. I don't know that a full quest mod would really be necessary, it would be fun to just find some books lying around that explain things if you're willing to read them.

P.S. I'm on team UUNP ;)

You could do it via Mod detection technics. If a specific book ties in to a specific mod, make it so that this book only spawns when the mod is installed.

Check Kimy's code for detecting and using Captured Dreams Devices in DCL as a reference for how to do it.

Best regards

Kalderon

• 9 months later...
On 4/29/2017 at 1:25 AM, IronDusk33 said:

Probably a very weird idea for most of you, but I've been thinking a lot about how to make Devious Devices 'fit' into Skyrim's lore. I focus on story a lot with my characters, so this has bothered me for a while.

I don't use anything that's rubber or latex, it's as bothersome to me as trying to explain why there could be a magical glock 9mm. Everything else can be explained the same way chastity and restraint devices are explained in the real world, in moderation: slavery, servitude, punishment, infidelity, etc.

So when I used the older "For the Masses" (which still worked for me) I had a preset where restrictive type devices, non-latex, had a small chance of popping up on commoner and beggar NPCs, while chastity devices (and a rare plug) spawned rarely on jarls and so on.

The reasoning being quite simply that beggars and common folk might be servants or slaves, and that wealthy husband's wives might be made to wear chastity devices. Additionally it could check for armor, and it would make sense that any woman putting on armor might consider adding a chastity belt too, for instance.

Anyway, I stopped using FtM because the new version seems a lot worse to be honest. I would love to see a lore-focused version of a FtM-type mod.

Archived