[SSE] Bad News SkyUI Users

You just might want to rephrase that and then a civilized discussion can occur on how you are so so wrong.

Someone already ported SkyUI , using it atm

That modder who spent his free time in order to create the most amazing UI overhaul for Skyrim did amazing job, but sadly lust for money kinda lowered his reputation in my eyes. Its not like I wouldn't exploit this too, but backslash was quite huge.

Businessman or not , that was the wrong move. Not to mention author of SkyUI hunts any ports of his mod. At best there will be someone who will create a successor to SkyUI.

Did anyone forget that he kept the whole new update with the new features back in the day ( paid mods fiasco ), if he did a patreon then things would go different. I would even throw a buck or two to support him, but now? Nah , I'd rather support a new person.

Somewhat better. So...

"Someone already ported SkyUI , using it atm"

probably not rocket science if you have the will and time.

"That modder who spent his free time in order to create the most amazing UI overhaul for Skyrim did amazing job, but sadly lust for money kinda lowered his reputation in my eyes. Its not like I wouldn't exploit this too, but backslash was quite huge."

Whether they want to capitalize on their efforts is nothing to do with you, and whether there was a 'backlash', or not, what does that matter? fucking new entitled millennials and their have it now fucking culture.

"Did anyone forget that he kept the whole new update with the new features back in the day ( paid mods fiasco ), if he did a patreon then things would go different. I would even throw a buck or two to support him, but now? Nah , I'd rather support a new person."

So what?

millennials...

millennials?!

Thanks.

You look younger, (probably)

So when a mod author is essentially taking a mod hostage because they know pretty much everybody who doesn't want to suffer playing vanilla Skyrim needs it, you just know people will hate him for that, and you can hardly blame them. It's one thing to ask for donations and another to force people into it.

What version of Windows are you using at the moment?

What should have happened was someone else quickly made an alternate mod to SkyUI just to shit on the sellout and yank the rug out from under him but nope nobody did that. This is not about that shitty buzzword entitlement it is about people being jaded enough to stop caring about modding. If SE had been released in 2013 or 2012 there would have been several mods pop up to kill off SkyUI but now? nah why bother because beth.aids so fuck it. That is the mentality right now and also skyrim is dam old it feels like playing oblivion at this point. The majority want something new and interesting but we don't have that. Just two days from now we will get another call of dooky time only this time in space ships and maybe it might last six hours instead of five for the single player. After that is all on the multiplayer and a few months later nobody will care anymore.

Skyrim lasted a long time just like oblivion did but we are not getting good games anymore the market is changing and shrinking I think. We will get a bunch of lame shit that player of candy crush and minecraft will enjoy from now on thats it.

After the main mods needed to get all the LL stuff back in the game come out maybe someone around here can make a SkyUI killer and we can be done with that shit finally.

What version of Windows are you using at the moment?

Windows 7. Which has nothing to do with SkyUI or paid mods.

Oh fuck, that wrecks my follow up argument. Going to go now and shoot myself in the head with a large G&T. Anyway on the lesser point of your most sterling post. It's 'basically' only some Action Script and front end stuff interfacing with SKSE. Nobody is holding anybody hostage unless you didn't pay attention in your ITC classes or are lazy. Actually if you have the time, you have all the code available for the game itself on your PC. Just takes a bit of will and endeavor to do something about it.

What should have happened was someone else quickly made an alternate mod to SkyUI....

My memory may be fuzzy, but didn't the whole fiasco last less than a week?  I'm sure some people had the idea, but an interface overhaul can't be that easy.  It probably would have happened if things had lasted longer, probably with an MCM reverse-engineer and reimplementation to try to let older free mods continue to work.

no need to reverse engineer the MCM the source is available - as long as the API it exposes is the same and behaves as expected it will work without even needing the code

the skyui team did not invent the MCM system, they just ported it

Didn't the SKSE guys say giving SKSE64 MCM functionality was a top priority ? 

no need to reverse engineer the MCM the source is available - as long as the API it exposes is the same and behaves as expected it will work without even needing the code

They said getting SkyUI hooks in was the priority.... I would assume that includes the MCM... we'll have to see how it goes.

They said getting SkyUI hooks in was the priority.... I would assume that includes the MCM... we'll have to see how it goes.

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/5aov9l/skyui_will_almost_certainly_be_ported_to_skyrim/

Indeed. Their primary focus is SkyUI-related function hooks.

Considering it's been relatively simple to port the majority of non-SKSE, non-mesh, non-worldspace/cell mods (seems like that cuts a lot out, but you'd be surprised), I doubt SkyUI will actually need much work. As it is SkyUI 5.1 seems to work fine if you ignore the SKSE-related problems it spits out (including the lag from the multitude of SKSE errors), so I'm betting once SKSE64 has a solid release SkyUI 5.1 will directly port over with minimal work. Scaleform has been changed from 10 to 15, so that may need to be looked at, but otherwise it shouldn't be more than a few months! It sounds like they've made more progress with SKSE64 than they were expecting to already!

Somewhat better. So...

"Someone already ported SkyUI , using it atm"

probably not rocket science if you have the will and time.

"That modder who spent his free time in order to create the most amazing UI overhaul for Skyrim did amazing job, but sadly lust for money kinda lowered his reputation in my eyes. Its not like I wouldn't exploit this too, but backslash was quite huge."

Whether they want to capitalize on their efforts is nothing to do with you, and whether there was a 'backlash', or not, what does that matter? fucking new entitled millennials and their have it now fucking culture.

"Did anyone forget that he kept the whole new update with the new features back in the day ( paid mods fiasco ), if he did a patreon then things would go different. I would even throw a buck or two to support him, but now? Nah , I'd rather support a new person."

So what?

Not sure what or how to respond to not trigger your inner triggerins. Sadly my freedom of expressions is quite limited in this case ( because my english is not so good ), so enjoy this blank and pointless reply just for you.

What should have happened was someone else quickly made an alternate mod to SkyUI just to shit on the sellout and yank the rug out from under him but nope nobody did that. This is not about that shitty buzzword entitlement it is about people being jaded enough to stop caring about modding. If SE had been released in 2013 or 2012 there would have been several mods pop up to kill off SkyUI but now? nah why bother because beth.aids so fuck it. That is the mentality right now and also skyrim is dam old it feels like playing oblivion at this point. The majority want something new and interesting but we don't have that. Just two days from now we will get another call of dooky time only this time in space ships and maybe it might last six hours instead of five for the single player. After that is all on the multiplayer and a few months later nobody will care anymore.

Skyrim lasted a long time just like oblivion did but we are not getting good games anymore the market is changing and shrinking I think. We will get a bunch of lame shit that player of candy crush and minecraft will enjoy from now on thats it.

After the main mods needed to get all the LL stuff back in the game come out maybe someone around here can make a SkyUI killer and we can be done with that shit finally.

Well there are people who are going to donate the skyUI guy just to make him do it for SE, I mean whats the point. Its like selling mods, you are giving him a money to do a job. Its not a free donation, a reward. So many years and suddenly people realize that "oh god I ignored donations for 5 years but modder is salty so lets un-salt him with money right now". Why do you wake up now?

If he doesn't want to update this mod then let it give to the others, isn't it how modding was supposed to work? Guy creates A, someone creates AB, third person edits ABa and another goes for ABC. Its like you pave the road for others to build on and improve.

The whole copyright system right now is terrible. You needs tons of permissions and if you don't get X and modder notices it he/she goes full apeshit mode.

There was also a guy modder, don't remember who but he hid his mod from nexus and put some strange #tags regarding the genders or sth. Some people are just *no words for this*

I don't remember it being so fierce in the Oblivion/Fallout3 times. I guess the paid mods update has started it all.

Yeah we won't be the same anymore with mods for these game there is no going back to that time. When you know some POS is gonna rip your mod off to get money for themselves you can't completely justify any motivations you have to make a mod anymore. I get msg over at nexus from 1 post members with spammy looking user names asking for permission to use one of my mods in their mod or they ask why I haven't updated my mod to work with with latest stuff yet. These cell phone molesting little snots will take the path to least resistance they will move on to the next potential victim if they can't easily rip off my mods.

I remember when modding was creating mods for yourself first. And as goodwill releasing it to the public. Some made mods to gain experience for their real life job. Like 3rd models or coding, you get the idea. Or some just did it because it was fun and entertaining for them, and when they shared their work and saw all the good comments it put a smile on their face. Now I see more of that slowly disappearing. Dont get me wrong there are still a lot of those people around.

But now its going towards  some sort of race who gets their mod out first and who has the most endorsements.

In my opinion I feel like theres more passion and quality behind mods that are released as goodwill, when a modder makes it for themselves, because they know exactly what they want. Rather than those who listen to the majority on what kind of mod that they should make. When you mod for free you have all the time in the world. But as soon as you start doing it for a living it becomes a job. And jobs have deadlines and unhappy costumers if you dont make something they like. Therefor you start making things for the sake of money rather than enjoyment. And I dont think modding should go in that direction.

I dont think its entitlement from mod users but more of a fear of what it can turn into. Besides entitlement can also be used against mod creators too.

Imagine having soccer as a fun pastime. And you gather with friends to play a game. All of a sudden you say if you guys want me on the team you gotta pay me. Then everybody starts doing the same thing because you're doing it. That fun pastime now became pay to play time. It just seems bad sportsmanship. As soon as a paywall is created bad things are bound to happen. Bad things happen now when mods a free. Imagine for paid mods. So like I said above I think its more of a fear of the worst. Remember when pre-orders meant, you secure a copy for yourself when you come to the game-store to buy the game. Now with digital content pre-orders are nothing more than cut content. Not all companies do this but a lot of them do.

The current working version of SkyUI is a really old one that was just replacing the SWF/Scaleform files.

SKSE64 team (Behippo) was able to hook the game a few hours ago, and his priority is to implement all functions that are required by SkyUI to work.

And in case Schlangster does not want to do an update, there are modders ready to take the ball and continue right now.

(You may know one or two of them.)

The current working version of SkyUI is a really old one that was just replacing the SWF/Scaleform files.

SKSE64 team (Behippo) was able to hook the game a few hours ago, and his priority is to implement all functions that are required by SkyUI to work.

And in case Schlangster does not want to do an update, there are modders ready to take the ball and continue right now.

(You may know one or two of them.)

Hell, I'm one of them. I've been poking around in it trying to figure out if anything specifically is going to need to change. Haven't seen anything significant. I'm trying to be the optimist. :P

The questlog/escape menu SWF may need to be looked at, but it may just be crashing out due to the lack of SKSE to power the MCM menu. It's the only piece I've run into that's actually caused a CTD.

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/5aov9l/skyui_will_almost_certainly_be_ported_to_skyrim/

Indeed. Their primary focus is SkyUI-related function hooks.

Considering it's been relatively simple to port the majority of non-SKSE, non-mesh, non-worldspace/cell mods (seems like that cuts a lot out, but you'd be surprised), I doubt SkyUI will actually need much work. As it is SkyUI 5.1 seems to work fine if you ignore the SKSE-related problems it spits out (including the lag from the multitude of SKSE errors), so I'm betting once SKSE64 has a solid release SkyUI 5.1 will directly port over with minimal work. Scaleform has been changed from 10 to 15, so that may need to be looked at, but otherwise it shouldn't be more than a few months! It sounds like they've made more progress with SKSE64 than they were expecting to already!

If all of the hooks that skyui used are still present in SSE, with absolutely no changes... then possibly it will be an easier port than we thought at first.... but lets not get too optomistic too soon.... tempered expectations ^.^

You guys are way to off topic. If you want to complain or praise SSE, do it in the appropiate thread

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/68874-sse-criticism-thread/

Back 2 topic:
I really hope that the SKSE64 team is going to reimplement the same API as in SKSE. If I got it right, that would actually mean that there wouldn't even be a need to recompile the plugins. Quote:

Hyperplexed, on 03 Nov 2016 - 05:43 AM, said:snapback.png

Also another question if you dont mind me asking... but, as long as SKSE64 is able to implement the exact same functions, with the exact same parameters and "output", as the normal SKSE, wouldn't a mod like SkyUI just work the same, since it doesn't rely on any SKSE plugin? I mean I get that SKSE plugins need to be recompiled, but AFAIK, SkyUI doesnt have any, right?

In theory you are correct. If we implement the same APIs (which is our intention) then any SKSE Papyrus users should not need to change their scripts. SkyUI will hopefully just work as well if we make the same changes to the Scaleform APIs it is expecting. But we will not know for certain until we get a little further along.

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/4979480-skse/?p=43992800

In theory you are correct. If we implement the same APIs (which is our intention) then any SKSE Papyrus users should not need to change their scripts. SkyUI will hopefully just work as well if we make the same changes to the Scaleform APIs it is expecting. But we will not know for certain until we get a little further along.

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/4979480-skse/?p=43992800

^^^ Exactly this. I've been using book and library examples to explain this to various people, and they keep being oh-so-appropriate.

Imagine you're going to a library to find a dictionary (Yes, I know we have the internet, stay with me). Every time you go to the library, you find the dictionary is the same place, and you open it up and find the word you're looking for, and it's defined with other words you know. So maybe you didn't know the meaning of that word you're looking up originally, but you know the OTHER words used to define it, so now you know what to do with it!

- This is basically what an SKSE-enabled mod such as SkyUI is doing with SKSE, and how SKSE makes functions available.

Now imagine you're going to the library to find a dictionary, and discover that the library has been demolished. Thankfully, it's being rebuilt to be newer and better and bigger, and when they're complete, you go inside. Inside you know your dictionary is around somewhere, but you have to find it first before you can start figuring out what words mean again.

- This is basically what the SKSE64 team needs to do: find the function hooks in the new fancy executable.

When you find the dictionary, you discover that it's an updated version with a whole bunch of new words. That's fine because the new words don't bother you, you're looking for the same word from before because you forgot what it means. You look it up, it's on a different page now, but the definition is the same. Now you know again! And since you've found the dictionary, you know where to look for it next time.

- This is basically what would happen with SKSE-enabled mods and SKSE64. Mods are designed to use a specific script function, and as long as that function is available, it doesn't matter WHERE it is as long as it's THERE. The function is being looked up by its name, which should be the same.

This is of course in contrast to Fallout 4. Now you're looking for a dictionary that includes the slang common to the area you just moved into. There IS no dictionary that includes the slang of FO4land, so now you have to look around, talk to other people, and try to write the dictionary yourself. This takes a lot of time, may require several revisions, but eventually you'll be able to take your dictionary to the library and put it up on the shelf for other people to use.

- This is basically what the F4SE team has to do. Some functions may be familiar, some may not be, and how they're used may be different. While they could attempt to slap the SKSE functions onto it those may not be entirely accurate, and research should be done to make sure everything works the way it's intended.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm currently using this: 

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/1970/?

It's not SkyUI, but it's leaps better than standard skyrim UI

I downloaded that and have been using it a bit. I'll say it works fairly well, and is probably no more obnoxious than vanilla Oblivion. Let's face it, after SkyUI came out, we got spoiled, it was so much easier and neater to use.

Cods... I'd forgotten just how clunky the vanilla UI was, and I certainly miss the extra sliders from Race Menu during the character creation process... Still, glad to have something neater than vanilla to handle inventory. The rest is still vanilla though.

Here's wishing godspeed to the crew at Silverlock on the new skse.

from behippo (skse64 dev) :

"We are actively in touch with the SkyUI team. The major hold-up for SkyUI on SSE is actually the internal SKSE64 work to support it. Snakster did that originally for SKSE. We are investigating and will implement the SKSE64 hooks that SkyUI needs. Once that work is done the effort to get SkyUI up and running should be minimal. Whether the SKSE or SkyUI team does that final bit of work doesn't really matter. It just means that we're going to make sure we get SkyUI for SSE."

Archived