Calling all animators

mxzero00

Probably not the best place to put this but I'm trying to catch the attention of as many animators as possible. I'm currently the only animator or at Skywind, and although I know what I'm doing now there's just too much for me to do by myself. So I'm asking everywhere I can to see if I can find some people to help me out. The link below is an incomplete list of everything that needs to be done for the project. More things regarding creatures are going to start showing up in the next couple months I would only need a couple people to work with. I would hate for the animation of the creatures to be what's holding back the final release.

https://tesrenewal.com/forums/general-development/hub-skywind-animation

the main problem is the import of skeletons

This. There are quite a few nif importers kicking around, that have various problems with particular versions of 3DS Max...There's no documentation on choosing the right one, there's no documentation on handling animations, etc.

At best, you can find an ancient video that spends most of the time on useless crud; whilst being vague about the important bits.

If the information was readily available alongside the appropriate plugins, there would be much more manpower kicking around.

if there is no direct converter, animation can be done via the link constrants, I did so with MMD skeleton for Skyrim...But it will take a lot of time.

Even with the converters you can use a multitude of constrains it's just a question of how you bake the animation. The spear idle I though together for our dev video purely consisted of 4IK, a look at constraint, a position constraint (link would have been a better option now that I know about it), and about 20mins of posing.

This. There are quite a few nif importers kicking around, that have various problems with particular versions of 3DS Max...There's no documentation on choosing the right one, there's no documentation on handling animations, etc.

Currently I'm using max 2012 with the nif scripts found on the nexus for importing and exporting test animations. It's not perfect but it gets the job done, 90% of the time. You just need to be careful when importing animations because it likes to collapse bones. After I get the animation built I then need to go back to max 2010 and export it via the havoc creation tools, so I can add annotation to the animation itself in the final version.

@TDA

That project looks to be for Oblivion. Skyrim is a completely different monster. We're basically taking the skyrim creatures, behavioral files, and skeleton. Then making new animations for them. Most of the time. We're tinkering with making new behavior files and skeletons so we can do things like the Silt Strider, and Bonelord. So we're using max 2010-2013, and hkxcmd. Making the new animations isn't hard. You just need to follow the rules for the engine. I'm more than willing to help instruct people who are willing to help out.

@Blabba

What I think you're trying to do can be done with fnis. With the alternate animations, but I'm not 100% sure what you mean. That's assuming you're talking in engine. If you're talking in animation itself, I'm not sure what you mean.

Archived