Modifying 1st person animations?

Silk

I have an idea for a total immersion overhaul of Fallout: New vegas. But the main thing that I need to sort out is if it is possible to change and even add first person animation before I start out.

Anyone heard of anything or got any guides?

I have an idea for a total immersion overhaul of Fallout: New vegas. But the main thing that I need to sort out is if it is possible to change and even add first person animation before I start out.

Anyone heard of anything or got any guides?

Yes, it is possible. Just do your animation using the 1st person skeleton found in data\meshes\characters\_1stPerson\skeleton.nif

The animations go in the same folder as the skeleton, it's just that no replacers exist that I know of so you'll have to extract the 1st person animations from the Fallout - Meshes.BSA in order to see what's available and currently being used.

If you're using my Compatability Skeleton, the 1st person skeleton has all the same bones as the 3rd person skeleton... the only difference is that the 1st person version doesn't contain the FAFF facial animations (since you can't see your face in 1st Person).

Awesome. But how do you know what is visible on 1st person camera?

As far as I know, Breezes, Roberts and Type3 (and compatible) bodies are visible in 1st person camera mode. Armor should be visible as long as the armor vertice group isn't named something that shouldn't be visible like "Upperbody".

The problem, which you'll see if you extract the game's 1st person animations, is that 1st person animations ONLY animate what they want you to see. For example, while the 3rd person animation animates the entire body while firing a pistol, for example, the 1st person version of that animation ONLY animates the arms and hands. Heck, the reason why you don't see your body or feet when you look down in 1st person is that the entire skeleton rotates along with the camera so as you angle your view down, your feet swing backwards and then up.

I'm not really an expert in animation but I can struggle along with you as best as I can to try and help you with this project... after all, at some point I may need to adapt my Compatability Skeleton to support your mod.

"If you have an erection that lasts more than 4 hours..." - How about all damn day, doc?

"Hey, what the hell did you do to my head to give me permanent hard-on?"

I also love it when you approach the Vigor tester stark naked and Doc say "Looking good..." He can be a creepy little bastard.

Well, when you die, at least they have a handle to carry you out with...

Thank you, thank you. Please remember to tip your waitresses here the LL Comedy Club...

Especially using Breezes Erect version while playing a male...

Heh yeah... um Doc' date=' can you take care of this boner too? I've had it for like foreverrrrrrrrrr...

[/quote']

Has to be a side effect from getting a slug in the head: no more impulse control.

I also love it when you approach the Vigor tester stark naked and Doc say "Looking good..." He can be a creepy little bastard.

Nah, that's just his sense of humor. Helps him cope with the fact you have a hard-on. How d'you think HE feels, hm?

First problem to come to mind though, giving the nature of this site, how will this interact with Sexout? Last time I checked there was no way to force change the camera from 1st person to third person.

Sorta ruins the point, really, of having to walk around in third person to avoid ruining the moment.

Or might it just put the action into first person anyway? A little bit of tightening up the anims and we won't have to worry about not having facial expressions :D

First problem to come to mind though' date=' giving the nature of this site, how will this interact with Sexout? Last time I checked there was no way to force change the camera from 1st person to third person.

Sorta ruins the point, really, of having to walk around in third person to avoid ruining the moment.

Or might it just put the action into first person anyway? A little bit of tightening up the anims and we won't have to worry about not having facial expressions :D

[/quote']

You can force 1st to 3rd using TapControl 13. This toggles the current control that sets POV.

Something like:

if 1 == IsPC1stPerson
   ;in first person, force to 3rd
   TapControl 13
endif

This is what Sexout does... you don't need to remain in 3rd person to use Sexout at all. I'm never in 3rd person if I can help it... er, unless I'm looking for a corpse that fell in the bushes or down a hill or off a cliff hehe.

Third person animations can be used as first person animations with no change. However, the cameras in the two skeletons are slightly different in positioning and parenting. Many third person animations would work just fine as first person animations with no issues but a lot would have invisible body part issues as the camera ended up inside the mesh instead of outside. In many cases the third person animations wouldn't make sense because of where the camera is pointing so you'd end up not seeing any action at all. The real key here is the following:

1. go through what 1st person animations already exist in the BSA and see if any need replacing

2. go through the third person animations and see which ones look good in first person

3. type up a list of the results so animators who do want to tackle this job know what they need to do

After this base is completed we can move on to other things:

1. specifically create animations for first person for general use

2. specifically create first person sexual animations

3. add in first person gameplay to sexout or a mod of sexout

If, at any time, we need to modify the skeleton to support such an effort, I can certainly make time to work with any animators to add any changes we require. Heck, to be perfectly honest, if ANY animator needs ANY functionality added to the skeletons, I will certainly look into supporting ANY such requests. New bones, repositioned bones, altered cameras...whatever...

Third person animations can be used as first person animations with no change. However' date=' the cameras in the two skeletons are slightly different in positioning and parenting. Many third person animations would work just fine as first person animations with no issues but a lot would have invisible body part issues as the camera ended up inside the mesh instead of outside. In many cases the third person animations wouldn't make sense because of where the camera is pointing so you'd end up not seeing any action at all. The real key here is the following:

1. go through what 1st person animations already exist in the BSA and see if any need replacing

2. go through the third person animations and see which ones look good in first person

3. type up a list of the results so animators who do want to tackle this job know what they need to do

After this base is completed we can move on to other things:

1. specifically create animations for first person for general use

2. specifically create first person sexual animations

3. add in first person gameplay to sexout or a mod of sexout

If, at any time, we need to modify the skeleton to support such an effort, I can certainly make time to work with any animators to add any changes we require. Heck, to be perfectly honest, if ANY animator needs ANY functionality added to the skeletons, I will certainly look into supporting ANY such requests. New bones, repositioned bones, altered cameras...whatever...

[/quote']

Let me try this later. So specifically its a lot like oblivion, by just using the 3rd person animations and putting it in the 1st person folder. So if there are any problems the only thing we need to do is to modify a skeleton or modify the animation it self. Right?

Let me try this later. So specifically its a lot like oblivion' date=' by just using the 3rd person animations and putting it in the 1st person folder. So if there are any problems the only thing we need to do is to modify a skeleton or modify the animation it self. Right?

[/quote']

That should be the case. And don't forget, you can animate the camera like any other bone in a 1st person animation.

Let me try this later. So specifically its a lot like oblivion' date=' by just using the 3rd person animations and putting it in the 1st person folder. So if there are any problems the only thing we need to do is to modify a skeleton or modify the animation it self. Right?

[/quote']

That should be the case. And don't forget, you can animate the camera like any other bone in a 1st person animation.

How can I do that exactly?

Sorry I'm not that good at skeletons and animations.

[/quote']

Well, any tutorial on animation applies to animating the camera. It is a bone just like a leg or arm or neck or any other bone. In the 3rd person skeleton it is named "Camera3rd". In the 1st person skeleton it is named "Camera1st".

[/quote']

Well, any tutorial on animation applies to animating the camera. It is a bone just like a leg or arm or neck or any other bone. In the 3rd person skeleton it is named "Camera3rd". In the 1st person skeleton it is named "Camera1st".

Got any tutorials that I can use :)

Lol. Sorry if I keep asking. Somehow Nexus has a 404 error on mine preventing me from DLing tutorials.

[/quote']

Got any tutorials that I can use :)

Lol. Sorry if I keep asking. Somehow Nexus has a 404 error on mine preventing me from DLing tutorials.

Did you update the address to http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/ ?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived