Texture overrides not overriding

Half a dozen or so issues with this mod of mine, all relating to body armour, and headparts, not having correctly overridden textures. For a custom NPC, I've got a unique body mesh set, and a unique skin textureset, and unique textures.

The way things are set up, as Crimes Against Nature (CaN) is a master, and the NPC uses a race from CaN, CaN will place it's race's skin override on to the body.

The body mesh works fine, but the skin textureset defined in the NPC record isn't properly overriding the CaN skin textureset that is defined by the race.

Since, for whatever reason, the head's texture is correctly overridden via a head skin set in the NPC record, this leads to an awful mismatch between the head and the body/neck, as seen here:

unknown.png

Now, I should note that the normal map being shown above is currently only working because I went in to CaN's archives, extracted the head mesh, and removed the material that was defined in the mesh. Otherwise, for some reason, the normal map would not be correctly overridden, unlike the diffuse map, as seen here:

unknown.png

For some reason, this fix does not seem to work with the player-unique texture set. The only difference between the texture set talked about above, and the player one, is the diffuse map, and the editor ID. Everything else is the same.

The weirdest part to me, is that CaN's own headparts, texture sets, and such, who I based mine off of, all override everything just fine, but all of mine have these issues.

If anyone has any idea on what might be causing this texture fuckery, and/or any way to work around/fix this bullshit, please, let me know.

If needed, I can upload the plugin and all relevant assets.

• 2 weeks later...

For the record, in case anyone runs in to a similar problem:

The original texture that Crimes Against Nature uses was saved at 1024x1024 with DXT5.

My head texture was saved at 2048x2048 with DXT1.

As far as we can tell, changing my head texture to CaN's format has fixed the issue. There may be something deeper that's related to this that we're both unable to understand, or maybe the game's just that fucking picky about texture formats. In any case, both the player head texture, and NPC head texture issues were resolved, without having to modify any of CaN's assets.

Archived