Skyrim SE Citrus Head Mesh conversion tutorial

Wolfdie

Ok this is my first tutorial so hear me out on that. This tutorial will guide you step by step on how to get CITRUS HEADS HD by blabba https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/58989? 

converted to work on Skyrim SE

1. Download .nif optimizer https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/4089, BSA Extractor https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/974/, and Creation Kit

2. Make sure you have CITRUS HEADS HD by blabba https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/58989?

3. Make a folder called "DATA" on you're desktop this is just a temporary place to hold files 

4. Extract the bsa and esp from Citrus Heads and use open the BAE.exe in BSA Extractor drag and drop CitrusHead - Standalone.bsa, Click extract and drop into the DATA folder I had you make on you're desktop.

5. Now extract nif optimizer and run SSE NIF Optimizer.exe and browse for the mesh folder that is in DATA and select it. Now under options THIS IS IMPORTANT tick the Head Parts Only box and click optimize.

6. Now we're going to pack that mesh folder back into a bsa and bsl file. Make sure you have Creation Kit. Go to >> Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Tools\Archive and click Archive.exe when that opens click edit then Add Directory. Remember that Mesh folder in DATA? Browse for that folder and select that

7. Tick the boxes for Meshes, Retain File Names, and Retain File Name Offsets. Then click File > Save As name the File name is CitrusHead - Standalone and save it into you're DATA folder

8. You can now delete the Mesh folder in DATA you no longer need that

9. Now drag and drop the CitrusHead - Standalone.esp, CitrusHead - Standalone.bsl, and CitrusHead - Standalone.bsa into Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Data

10. Open Creation Kit. Once it loads click file > Data and tick CitrusHead - Standalone.esp then Set as Active File and OK. Ignore any errors and this may take sometime to finish. Once CK is done Click File Save, then Save and Push Plugin to PC then Exit

11. Now go back into Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Data and grab you're CitrusHead - Standalone.esp, CitrusHead - Standalone.bsl, and CitrusHead - Standalone.bsa files move them into a new folder and name is something like CITRUS Head - Standalone-58989-BUBBLEGUM SE and either use 7zip or Winrar my preference and zip it up

12. Use whatever mod manager you like and install it and Enjoy!

I made this for people like me who were tyring to figure out how to use CITRUS head in Skyrim SE but couldn't find any tutorials on how so I figured it out :smile:  I also recommend  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIk3DWmiRXY&lc=z230jdqpklj4ipf5404t1aokg1efhrqajdjcpvau1u0fbk0h00410 to convert Racemenu to Skyrim SE so you can import Oldrim characters. 

Have a good day!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have successfully converted the mod as well (no basic issues). Note for anybody: Do not use the replacer version.

I have two issues:

1) When I try to select a different head type (head -> face), the slider cannot be changed. It is set to 0.

in oldrim it is set to 1 and I can change it to Citrus Head

2) If I go to the scult section I see nothing (only "Image" instead of the 3D-Scult is shown). Is there something missing with my RaceMenu conversion or is it some plugin not activated ? (I have converted everything for RaceMenu as per instructions). RaceMenu.esp and RaceMenuPlugin.esp are available.

I have no conflicts (Wrye Bash). I have not installed the RaceMenuCBBE (it was not working for me).

39 minutes ago, vsuamier said:

I have successfully converted the mod as well (no basic issues). Note for anybody: Do not use the replacer version.

I have two issues:

1) When I try to select a different head type (head -> face), the slider cannot be changed. It is set to 0.

in oldrim it is set to 1 and I can change it to Citrus Head

2) If I go to the scult section I see nothing (only "Image" instead of the 3D-Scult is shown). Is there something missing with my RaceMenu conversion or is it some plugin not activated ? (I have converted everything for RaceMenu as per instructions). RaceMenu.esp and RaceMenuPlugin.esp are available.

I have no conflicts (Wrye Bash). I have not installed the RaceMenuCBBE (it was not working for me).

RaceMenu Alpha cant do morphs yet Expired is still working on it and the sculpt that is why both don't work for you.

SSE Update
Most features have already been ported successfully, the features still missing are Overlays, Bodygen, Sculpting, and Import/Export. However presets will still load with sculpt data and should technically function.

The alpha has not been officially released because I have not gated any of the features that do not work and I don't want to be dealing with complaints regarding those

features.

The CITRUS Head Standalone is working for me without issues. If anyone figures out how to get the replacer version working, please update this thread. I extracted and converted the replacer version the same way I did with the standalone... the replacer version absolutely refuses to work, causing an infinite black screen after you load a savegame.

• 7 months later...
On 3/26/2018 at 10:40 PM, Allegretto said:

The CITRUS Head Standalone is working for me without issues. If anyone figures out how to get the replacer version working, please update this thread. I extracted and converted the replacer version the same way I did with the standalone... the replacer version absolutely refuses to work, causing an infinite black screen after you load a savegame.

How? the "face part" slider doesn't move in racemenu even with Alpha 9

• 3 weeks later...

For those of you who have been attempting to get the replacer version of CITRUS head meshes to work with Special Edition, it CAN be done. I have actually just completed doing so with no crashes whatsoever. However, remember as with the original CITRUS on Oldrim, the replacer will do JUST THAT: replace meshes and tri's alike. This always has the potential to cause some issues, hence why it has always been a "USE AT YOUR OWN RISK" method. Bear in mind that not only does CITRUS come with basic head tri's, but also changes the tri's of Racemenu to be compatible with the new head meshes, thus rendering Racemenu morphs useless for the original head meshes. Hence why I said make sure this is ABSOLUTELY the way that you want to go. Also bear in mind that I am using loose files. I will not test re-archiving these files with the potential of undoing everything that I already have working. If someone else feels like giving it a shot, be my guest.

1. Follow the tutorial as stated, but instead of grabbing the Standalone, grab the Replacer CITRUS files. (Also, have a side download of Racemenu handy. We'll need these, too.)

2. Use BSA Extractor to extract the files from "CITRUS - Head Replacer.bsa". (You may also extract the "RaceMenu.bsa" to it's own folder at this time or have the Loose Files version handy, but I suggest focusing on CITRUS first).

3. Use the SSE NIF Optimizer like stated in the current tutorial, ensuring that "Head Parts Only" is checked before continuing on. 

4. At this point, the heads are ready to be used in Special Edition, but we are far from done. This is where I suggest copying the loose files from Racemenu and placing them into your DATA folder. Since the general rule of Skyrim NEW and OLD applies, the loose files will take precedence over the archives. If you were using the "RaceMenu.bsa", you can delete this archive after loose files are installed. Scary to do, yes. However, I've tested and it does indeed work.

5. Now, copy the loose files from the now optimized CITRUS Replacer setup. Overwrite any tri's that it asks about. 

6. Now with head meshes, tri's, and Racemenu in place, open the Creation Kit. Make sure to load All the Master Files (Skyrim, Hearthfires, Dawnguard, and Dragonborn).

7. Once loaded, we and to go to our actor selection and select all available actors in the game. Don't open them, just simply select them. Just like you would do with a custom follower, export the Facegen Data via CTRL+F4, and now we play the waiting game as the Creation Kit exports all the NPC head meshes. This will take a LONG while (I'm on an SSD, and it STILL took forever. Hard Drive users....I'm sorry... Tis the nature of the Skyrim beast. Just grin and bear it. Go make yourself a snack or watch a video or two. Hell, I was in a phone call when it finished for me several minutes later.

8. After the export is complete, and our awesome little "Done" button appears, that's pretty much it. You can open up the DATA>MESHES>ACTOR>CHARACTER>FACEGENDATA>FACEGEOM folder and rummage through all the folders and review the NPC meshes are there (recommended to use the latest NIFSKOPE to do so). Fire up Skyrim and voila. If everything was done correctly, you will have a fully functioning CITRUS setup for SSE that is utilized by all the adults in the game. I'll be looking into the child heads, but I don't belive that Blabba did any updates to those meshes, so all the child files are going to be default vanilla files unless you've modded them.

I may actually just put these into one huge file, but not right this moment. I kind of just want to play my game now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2018 at 6:25 PM, BBX2016 said:

For those of you who have been attempting to get the replacer version of CITRUS head meshes to work with Special Edition, it CAN be done. I have actually just completed doing so with no crashes whatsoever. However, remember as with the original CITRUS on Oldrim, the replacer will do JUST THAT: replace meshes and tri's alike. This always has the potential to cause some issues, hence why it has always been a "USE AT YOUR OWN RISK" method. Bear in mind that not only does CITRUS come with basic head tri's, but also changes the tri's of Racemenu to be compatible with the new head meshes, thus rendering Racemenu morphs useless for the original head meshes. Hence why I said make sure this is ABSOLUTELY the way that you want to go. Also bear in mind that I am using loose files. I will not test re-archiving these files with the potential of undoing everything that I already have working. If someone else feels like giving it a shot, be my guest.

1. Follow the tutorial as stated, but instead of grabbing the Standalone, grab the Replacer CITRUS files. (Also, have a side download of Racemenu handy. We'll need these, too.)

2. Use BSA Extractor to extract the files from "CITRUS - Head Replacer.bsa". (You may also extract the "RaceMenu.bsa" to it's own folder at this time or have the Loose Files version handy, but I suggest focusing on CITRUS first).

3. Use the SSE NIF Optimizer like stated in the current tutorial, ensuring that "Head Parts Only" is checked before continuing on. 

4. At this point, the heads are ready to be used in Special Edition, but we are far from done. This is where I suggest copying the loose files from Racemenu and placing them into your DATA folder. Since the general rule of Skyrim NEW and OLD applies, the loose files will take precedence over the archives. If you were using the "RaceMenu.bsa", you can delete this archive after loose files are installed. Scary to do, yes. However, I've tested and it does indeed work.

5. Now, copy the loose files from the now optimized CITRUS Replacer setup. Overwrite any tri's that it asks about. 

6. Now with head meshes, tri's, and Racemenu in place, open the Creation Kit. Make sure to load All the Master Files (Skyrim, Hearthfires, Dawnguard, and Dragonborn).

7. Once loaded, we and to go to our actor selection and select all available actors in the game. Don't open them, just simply select them. Just like you would do with a custom follower, export the Facegen Data via CTRL+F4, and now we play the waiting game as the Creation Kit exports all the NPC head meshes. This will take a LONG while (I'm on an SSD, and it STILL took forever. Hard Drive users....I'm sorry... Tis the nature of the Skyrim beast. Just grin and bear it. Go make yourself a snack or watch a video or two. Hell, I was in a phone call when it finished for me several minutes later.

8. After the export is complete, and our awesome little "Done" button appears, that's pretty much it. You can open up the DATA>MESHES>ACTOR>CHARACTER>FACEGENDATA>FACEGEOM folder and rummage through all the folders and review the NPC meshes are there (recommended to use the latest NIFSKOPE to do so). Fire up Skyrim and voila. If everything was done correctly, you will have a fully functioning CITRUS setup for SSE that is utilized by all the adults in the game. I'll be looking into the child heads, but I don't belive that Blabba did any updates to those meshes, so all the child files are going to be default vanilla files unless you've modded them.

I may actually just put these into one huge file, but not right this moment. I kind of just want to play my game now.

Instead of going off on a long winded tangeant, why not just upload the file here so people can just install it.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2019 at 8:09 PM, Bestestest said:

The path inside the .bsa is messed up, you can dl BSA extractor and extract the meshes folder and it'll work fine

I used the bsa extractor and fixed the pathing but still no citrus head =(

I use racemenu v0-3-4

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/26/2018 at 6:25 PM, BBX2016 said:

So I tried this and my game crashes afterload menu any ideas that may help?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just a PSA for the alternative here, sorry if this is rude or anything, but it might be useful to people like me who couldn't get Citrus working.  I've found that Erik's (a Russian guy, I believe) Skyrim High Poly Heads for LE (mentioned by kgt, post #3 here) converted to SSE, works great, I've had no problems with them at all - just convert (instructions in that thread), pop 'em in (I use MO2), and you don't have to think about it ever again.  Works with Racemenu out of the box (you can sculpt).  Every character, including beast characters, how have better heads, with not a seam in sight, and there doesn't seem to ever be any conflict with anything - at least I've had no problems so far, a few weeks after putting them in (except you have to put it early in the load order, in case you have specific things like RS Children overhaul, which need to overwrite it in which case you lose out on the high poly in those specific cases, but it's either that or black faces).

Archived