Where are my MODs stored?

bm2x

post-1988398-0-37000700-1509249149_thumb.pngI removed my game, my steam, my MODs...  EVERYTHING, and started fresh.  I only have the bare-bones essentials at this point, but I have an issue.  The games states that I don't have SKSE installed and/or mod-specific issues about the wrong version of SKSE.

Now, I KNOW that I do have SKSE (I just installed it) but and ran ModOrganizer, and ran LOOT and its coming up green, but none of my mods are working and I'm still getting this error.

Does anyone know what is happening?  Is it possible that the old files are still present and causing an issue?  Any suggestions?

It just means that you have to edit or replace the SKSE.ini file, which should be in the Skyrim\Data\SKSE\ folder. Give this a read, it may help. At the least, it gives you a replacement file

https://steamcommunity.com/app/72850/discussions/0/343786195661253247/

While that is a true statement for proper SKSE game engine recognition, OP says they are using Mod Organizer.  The recommended MO install instructions are a bit different, and not all of the files end up in the ../steamapps/common/Skyrim/.. folder path.

S.T.E.P. SKSE install with SKSE

Gopher's SKSE Isntallation of SKSE with MO video

In general though, if using Mod Organizer, your mods are stored in 2 places:

1. Downloads Directory - downloaded archive files of installed mods
  2. Mod Directory - non-archived and installed mods

As these were chosen by you when you set up Mod Organizer, there is no standard path.  However, the paths can be easily viewed from within MO by clicking the wrench/screwdriver button on the main screen (Configure settings and workarounds).  In the Settings pop-up, under the General tab, Advanced section - there are your paths on your local PC for Downloads and Mod Directory.

The installed and/or active mods are listed under Mod Directory - these are the same as the mods visible in the main Mod Organizer window.

It just means that you have to edit or replace the SKSE.ini file, which should be in the Skyrim\Data\SKSE\ folder. Give this a read, it may help. At the least, it gives you a replacement file

While that is a true statement for proper SKSE game engine recognition, OP says they are using Mod Organizer.  The recommended MO install instructions are a bit different, and not all of the files end up in the ../steamapps/common/Skyrim/.. folder path.

As these were chosen by you when you set up Mod Organizer, there is no standard path.  However, the paths can be easily viewed from within MO by clicking the wrench/screwdriver button on the main screen (Configure settings and workarounds).  In the Settings pop-up, under the General tab, Advanced section - there are your paths on your local PC for Downloads and Mod Directory.

The installed and/or active mods are listed under Mod Directory - these are the same as the mods visible in the main Mod Organizer window.

No wonder I choose manual installation :P:D

So I followed your steps, re-installed SKSE (off Steam, the Nexus and a private site) but any of my MOD programs (NMM or ModOrganizer...) refuse to run skse.  If I launch the Steam Skyrim, SKSE runs (its says the version in the bottom of the options screen when I hit ESC)

...so, uh WTF?!

But since you are using MO, you have to launch Skyrim through MO now... and that means launching SKSE through MO as well.  I did it in MO this way:\

1. Download SKSE 1.7.3 7z archive from here (not installer and not 'install via steam')

2. Extract the 7z file

3. Copy all files called skse_something to you game's install path/Skyrim folder (where tesv.exe is, not /Skyrim/Data)

Note SKSE is installed at this point, and MO should already recognize it, but the scripts, etc. are still missing.

4. In Mod Organizer, add mod from archive - select the skse_1_07_03.7z (not the folder you extracted)

5. In the resulting install window, set the Data directory and click OK

scripts are now installed

6. Enable the new skse mod you just installed.

Mod Organizer should now recognize SKSE, be launchable, and recognized in game.  Once you get to game, open up the console on the loading screen and type: 'getskseversion'  You should see a message from SKSE in console about what version is installed - this is how you know it's installed and recognized properly by the game.

Note - if you installed SKSE manually in your data folder, you should remove the scripts that it added to your actual Data folder and use the ones from Mod Organizer.

But since you are using MO, you have to launch Skyrim through MO now... and that means launching SKSE through MO as well.  I did it in MO this way:\

1. Download SKSE 1.7.3 7z archive from here (not installer and not 'install via steam')

2. Extract the 7z file

3. Copy all files called skse_something to you game's install path/Skyrim folder (where tesv.exe is, not /Skyrim/Data)

Note SKSE is installed at this point, and MO should already recognize it, but the scripts, etc. are still missing.

4. In Mod Organizer, add mod from archive - select the skse_1_07_03.7z (not the folder you extracted)

5. In the resulting install window, set the Data directory and click OK

scripts are now installed

6. Enable the new skse mod you just installed.

Mod Organizer should now recognize SKSE, be launchable, and recognized in game.  Once you get to game, open up the console on the loading screen and type: 'getskseversion'  You should see a message from SKSE in console about what version is installed - this is how you know it's installed and recognized properly by the game.

Note - if you installed SKSE manually in your data folder, you should remove the scripts that it added to your actual Data folder and use the ones from Mod Organizer.

I don't have the specified  [skse_1_07_03.7z] either in the files you told me to download or on my computer at all.

...what's the procedure at this point?

the link provided by AWP3RATOR is the place to download the files needed

when that page is opened the file you need to download (from there) is on the line

Current Build 1.7.3

the one you want to download is a download link that says "7z archive" {located between installer and (readme, whatsnew, latest forum thread)}

click on that link and save the file (it should be 640 kb).

then follow directions 2-6 from post by AWP3RATOR.

One of the reasons I don't use MO or NMM is that I see no need to use a launcher to launch the SKSE launcher to launch Skyrim.

However you do it, though, you have to launch SKSE for many mods to work.

It's not the purpose of MO to be a launcher for SKSE. It's supposed to be a mod manager, therefore it has to know that you have SKSE installed. 

Archived