Subsurface Scattering Available

The mod: Natural and Atmospheric Tamriel https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/12842/?

This mod just updated today and includes subsurface scattering without an ENB. I have tested it, and although I am no expert, it appears to be the real deal when I compare what I see in game to oldrim Youtube videos. There is a spell where you can enable/disable it in real time to test for yourself. I saw this feature described as a "must-have." Is this the same SSS as people have been wanting?

lol.

"Make stuff more red" is not SSS or a kind of SSS. It's a nice way of faking it to a degree, but the entire point of SSS is to show the slight translucency of skin and other thinly membraned material to begin with, not "make more red". "Make more red" is entirely a side effect and generally only shows up in screenshots. Granted that's where boris started from himself, but that's certainly not where he ended up.

This is like saying Halo3 had HDR. It did not. It DID have a very special custom lighting technique designed to simulate overexposure and strong ambient lighting, a technique so expensive back in the day they had to cut the resolution of the game down, even in SP. It didn't have anything approaching actual 10bit color and a 1000+ candela luminance scale.

So it looks better than vanilla SSE, it is not SSS.

Take a look at Tekken 7 which is about where oldrim enb stoppped with SSS and bounce lighting and then look at this weather preset. Not even on the same planet despite both being dx11, and that's part of the problem. Why Bethesda would choose to precompile stuff circa 2016 is completely baffling. Until such time as ambient and indirect lighting, including sources, can be done in SSE, it's not going to look the same.

This is basically the SSE version of dynavision. Handy tool for doing stuff, does not directly compare to injected lighting models nor should it be.

lol.

"Make stuff more red" is not SSS or a kind of SSS. It's a nice way of faking it to a degree, but the entire point of SSS is to show the slight translucency of skin and other thinly membraned material to begin with, not "make more red". "Make more red" is entirely a side effect and generally only shows up in screenshots. Granted that's where boris started from himself, but that's certainly not where he ended up.

This is like saying Halo3 had HDR. It did not. It DID have a very special custom lighting technique designed to simulate overexposure and strong ambient lighting, a technique so expensive back in the day they had to cut the resolution of the game down, even in SP. It didn't have anything approaching actual 10bit color and a 1000+ candela luminance scale.

So it looks better than vanilla SSE, it is not SSS.

Take a look at Tekken 7 which is about where oldrim enb stoppped with SSS and bounce lighting and then look at this weather preset. Not even on the same planet despite both being dx11, and that's part of the problem. Why Bethesda would choose to precompile stuff circa 2016 is completely baffling. Until such time as ambient and indirect lighting, including sources, can be done in SSE, it's not going to look the same.

This is basically the SSE version of dynavision. Handy tool for doing stuff, does not directly compare to injected lighting models nor should it be.

Could you explain inject light sources for me? I'm interested in this a bit more in depth and how enb does exactly this. This conversation might help people who are curious to take a couple of cracks at it. 

Could you explain inject light sources for me? I'm interested in this a bit more in depth and how enb does exactly this. This conversation might help people who are curious to take a couple of cracks at it. 

Basically the way ENB and similar utilities works (worked?)  is they sit between the game executable and the system libraries that actually translate what the game wants to what the graphics card driver understands.

Traditionally the lower the ENB sits in the rendering pipeline, or the more of the pipeline it can replace, the more functionality it has. The ENB for DX9 was able to do quite a bit more because DX9 is far simpler to intercept than DX11 and DX9 had been out for years by the time Skyrim was released and was well understood.

The current ENB for SSE is inhibited by the fact that DX11 was intended to suit a much more complicated, highly-threaded architecture (DX9 = XBox 360, DX11 = XBoxOne) and is therefore harder to intercept, and the fact that knowledge on how to hack into DX11 rendering pipelines is still very sparse on the ground. This should improve over time because humans love to hack things. :)

I tried it. It looks like everybody is a dim red light source. But I think it's a step in the right direction. And I think I'm going to keep it, because it's better than vanilla grey plastic people.

I've had this issue as well, it's damn annoying that everyone glows faintly red and I'm hoping there will eventually be a fix for this.

Archived