Wrye and other non-FOMM users..

prideslayer

What mod manager do you use for FONV?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. What mod manager do you use for FONV?

• FOMM
    • Wrye
    • NMM
    • Manual Installs
    • Other

I know the decision to go FOMOD with sexout caused some of you a bit of concern. I hope that, so far, using the fomod has not been an issue since it should work fine in wrye if just renamed, but I am considering adding the first 'option' to the datapack installer that will almost certainly not work with wrye. I want to make sure that this isn't going to cause you or the manual installers any undue hardship.

With the goal of getting bodysuits working again, I intend to make a new 'options' directory in the fomod, with subdirectories beneath it that will have the standard 'data dir' layout. The first two options would be 'bodysuitmale' and 'bodysuitfemale'. Inside these directories will be the mesh and texture files for female and male bodysuits.

In a manual drag n/ drop install, they would just stay in the sexoutng/options directory and not have any impact on the game, and I'm assuming that an install with wrye would behave the same way. I just want to make sure though, because the filenames must (damn you, gamebryo) have the same name as the default textures in order to actually work without changing everyone to a caucasian (except head, hands, and feet).

So if I put such a directory structure in the fomod, will it cause you problems? I'm assuming most of you have the male/female nude textures and so on that you want and are just not going to install the bodysuits -- at least not the female one. The male one you may want to install, since it's just going to be an erect breezes.

Semi-related poll to follow.

I know you aren't really interested in doing it, but there's no reason you couldn't package it for both Wrye and FOMM, since fomod scripting is flexible and allows you to tell it where to find what it needs.

However, restructuring the archive to be Wrye-friendly is not terribly difficult, and I'm sure those who use it already know how, for the most part.

You're the chief, it's your call in the end. :)

It's not that I'm not interested, it's that the #$&%*@#%$ wrye requires me to do it "their way" which works fine as an end product, but as a modder, it's a goddamn disaster. I have enough trouble keeping track of everything going on in the downloads (especially the data pack). If I have to start naming directories things like '0' and '1' and '4' I'd lose my goddamn mind.

If whats-his-name ever open sources it, I'd love to take a stab at fixing that particular annoyance, maybe tack on a script interpreter (C#, python, perl, whatever. Doesn't matter), and then I'd eagerly release for both.

I believe it's "wrye friendly" right now though, isn't it?

IIRC it is. If you start adding options it won't be (at least not if you want to use the options).

You know the only things that need to go in folder other than 00 Core Files are the files for the options themselves, right? I only ask because I'm not sure how far you've looked into it, but I don't really see how it's confusing.

SexoutNG

-00 Core Files

--/meshes

---[all meshes]

--/textures

---[all textures]

--esps

01 Breeze Erect Bodysuit (optional)

--/meshes

---upperbody-erect.nif

00 Core Files would basically be exactly what's in the package right now.

01 Breeze etc. would contain one mesh.

Or am I misunderstanding what you're saying?

IIRC it is. If you start adding options it won't be (at least not if you want to use the options).

Ok' date=' that was the thrust of my question. I know the options presented to the fomod won't work, but they are options that honestly few experienced players (like the type using wrye) are going to want anyway I think. They're mostly intended for 'newbies' who keep screwing things up, but I don't want to break wrye compatibility in the process of adding them.

You know the only things that need to go in folder other than 00 Core Files are the files for the options themselves, right? I only ask because I'm not sure how far you've looked into it, but I don't really see how it's confusing.

Yes I understand that, but allow me to continue...

SexoutNG

-00 Core Files

--/meshes

---[all meshes]

--/textures

---[all textures]

--esps

01 Breeze Erect Bodysuit (optional)

--/meshes

---upperbody-erect.nif

00 Core Files would basically be exactly what's in the package right now.

01 Breeze etc. would contain one mesh.

If I can actually put WORDS in the names that changes things immensely. I have not looked it at closely to be honest, and the few wrye mods I *did* look at did not use any words/letters in the directory names. They were just things like "00" not "00 Core". If I can name them the second way, and all I have to do is add numbers to the front, then I'm more than willing to do that.

FOMM can handle any structure I give it, obviously, since the actual file copying is done by a script I write -- not by FOMM itself. What I am "refusing" to do is name the directories simple numbers like "00" and "01".

If all I have to do is prefix the directories with numbers, but leave the names intact, then I'm willing to do that.

If I can actually put WORDS in the names that changes things immensely. I have not looked it at closely to be honest' date=' and the few wrye mods I *did* look at did not use any words/letters in the directory names. They were just things like "00" not "00 Core". If I can name them the second way, and all I have to do is add numbers to the front, then I'm more than willing to do that.

FOMM can handle any structure I give it, obviously, since the actual file copying is done by a script I write -- not by FOMM itself. What I am "refusing" to do is name the directories simple numbers like "00" and "01".

If all I have to do is prefix the directories with numbers, but leave the names intact, then I'm willing to do that.

[/quote']

Oh jesus, yes you can definitely add words. And whatever Wrye-ized mod you looked at that only used numbers was done by a moron.

Wrye only cares about the 00, 01, etc in front, but after that you can put anything.

Here's sorta how it works:

00 Core (or Core Files, these are the standard naming conventions but not mandatory) - this is the bulk of the data, the stuff that is necessary regardless of options chosen. Some of the data in this folder may be overridden by options, for instance Yellow Bananas may be the "default" option, the one installed here in this core folder.

01 Green Bananas

01 Pink Bananas (matching prefixes means they override each other, for instance you could have 01 Roberts and 01 Breezes as users can't use both at once)

02 Giant Dicktits (unrelated to the above two options, 01 and 02 can both safely be selected in Wrye)

Actually, I believe that the directories can be named anything you want. The numbers are just a convention to indicate the sort order and mutually exclusive items. e.g. The main files start with 00 so they'll appear at the top of the list, and giving two options the same number prefix means pick one but not both.

BTW, bash is written in python and has its own install scripts (called wizards)

I use a combination of FOMM and Wrye, and have done since Oblivion. A lot of Oblivion mods are compatible with both - They provide an OMOD XML and a Wrye directory structure. So, you can just have OBMM build you an OMOD, or you can just use it directly in Wrye, your choice. Me, I install/uninstall with FOMM and handle loading order with BOSS and Wrye, along with bashed patch (which I know you don't particularly approve of, but it works well for me).

Archived