Darkest Dungeon: Modding Potential

Kongorg

Darkest Dungeon is now moving ahead with modding support, and though obviously the sort of mods we'd all like to see are not going to appear on the Steam Workshop, it got me thinking about the sort of "adult" stuff that might be possible. I've been looking over the modding guide here to get an idea of the limitations in place, and having not actually played the game in like a year, I'm still unsure of exactly how much leeway there is for adult modding. It looks like lewd animations would be possible, but animations require the program Spine to adjust them fully. Glancing at the DD forums, it's possible that more modding power/official modding tools might come along later, but of course it's safer to assume that what we have now is all we'll get.

So, any other modders interested in tinkering with this game? I'll probably pick it up this weekend and give it a go. From "demoing" it before, I remember that the game was pretty decent, and what really held my interest was the dark, Lovecraftian atmosphere that I felt went well with the soul crushing RNG-driven difficulty. And being a total fucking deviant, I'd love to figure out how to get the monsters to violate the party on every level imaginable. But without Spine (or even the skills to use it), I'll likely have to start off with something text and sound effect based, depending on how flexible the quest or buff triggers can be. We'll see! I look forward to seeing if this community pumps anything out for this game.

I already tried it out. It could be modded easily but there's one problem - spine. And yes, you need pro version. Honestly, I prefer moho so that's why I won't even try to mod Darkest Dungeon before they'll do something about it. 
But you can still do some events, re-texturing and some other stuff. Just... well... It can look like something from a different game if you're not using spine to mod heroes and I'm not okay with that.

• 2 months later...

I've thought about doing a take similar to the Darkest Desires (and made my first attempt and failure before the workshop was added), but simply don't have the time to put towards it before finishing my 'normal' mod work for it, and the inability to get good looking nude models for the game (the linked ones I wold not call good, tits look like they where glued on, and the texturing is so off for what is normal else where in the game, a complaint I have with many of the alternate hero art mods).

Thus most of my 'work' in this regard is beign limited to carefully placed suggestive ability names, and some off the cuff shorts.  But DD has a lot of potental with some reskinning of ideas, following more the magical girl tropes, changing stress to lust in a core idea, but it requires re-tweeking a lot of aspects of the game, and again without good art, it's always going to be off (not to mention making new abilities for enemies is rough).

• 2 weeks later...

I recently wanted to get back into Darkest Dungeon and saw the Darkest Desires mod and thought the camping updates would be cool. I then read the comments people had posted and realized it was super out of date. I'm not a modder and I only know enough about coding to be dangerous. That said I took the files corta created for the Lite version and spliced them in as needed. Because I'm not a modder I replaced the core files, which will be overwritten when an update comes out but for now it works.

If anyone else in this thread is interested I decided since I usually lurk and grab lots of great mods from here I'd post the updates I made. I take no responsibility for the work, all that goes to corta, I just wanted it to work with the current state of the game. I also take no responsibility if this messes up your game if you try to use the files. I doubt I'd be able to troubleshoot any issues anyways, hence why I'm providing a dropbox link to the files and not publishing a mod update. Use at your own risk/pleasure type of warning.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tr4tu8vdavn1ft3/Darkest%20Desires%20Update.rar?dl=0

• 3 weeks later...

I recently wanted to get back into Darkest Dungeon and saw the Darkest Desires mod and thought the camping updates would be cool. I then read the comments people had posted and realized it was super out of date. I'm not a modder and I only know enough about coding to be dangerous. That said I took the files corta created for the Lite version and spliced them in as needed. Because I'm not a modder I replaced the core files, which will be overwritten when an update comes out but for now it works.

If anyone else in this thread is interested I decided since I usually lurk and grab lots of great mods from here I'd post the updates I made. I take no responsibility for the work, all that goes to corta, I just wanted it to work with the current state of the game. I also take no responsibility if this messes up your game if you try to use the files. I doubt I'd be able to troubleshoot any issues anyways, hence why I'm providing a dropbox link to the files and not publishing a mod update. Use at your own risk/pleasure type of warning.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tr4tu8vdavn1ft3/Darkest%20Desires%20Update.rar?dl=0

Thanks for this, it works! (With some WinMerge know-how)

On that note, is anyone able to procure this skin for me on Steam Workshop?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1061781600&searchtext=

Would be appreciated... 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived