Need help fixing shadow lines moving (very low settings).

Frozium

Since my computer is quite weak I'm forced to play Skyrim using minimal graphic settings. Tearing down the shadows to the minimum possible makes shadows look like dark lines on props. 

I don't have anything against it, but for some reason these lines suddenly and every 1X seconds move, making a shutter effect.

I remember the last time I played Skyrim I got rid of this bug, but now I don't remember how to do it nor where to find the solution, so here I am. I trust you guys will help me with this (you always do).

Thanks.

Since my computer is quite weak I'm forced to play Skyrim using minimal graphic settings. Tearing down the shadows to the minimum possible makes shadows look like dark lines on props. 

I don't have anything against it, but for some reason these lines suddenly and every 1X seconds move, making a shutter effect.

I remember the last time I played Skyrim I got rid of this bug, but now I don't remember how to do it nor where to find the solution, so here I am. I trust you guys will help me with this (you always do).

Thanks.

Have you tried completely turning off shadows in either skyrim.ini or skyrimprefs.ini (probably this one)? I use a mod called "colurfull lights no shadows" to keep the lights a bit brighter. I could post you my skyrimprefs.ini since it is for me to a long time since i edited something in there. I have been using the same file since forever.

Thanks.

Have you tried completely turning off shadows in either skyrim.ini or skyrimprefs.ini (probably this one)? I use a mod called "colurfull lights no shadows" to keep the lights a bit brighter. I could post you my skyrimprefs.ini since it is for me to a long time since i edited something in there. I have been using the same file since forever.

Just tell me how to disable the shadows. I use a custom .ini too and I don't want to lose any of my tweaks.

these lines should be changed like i state them in the text document i will be adding here. Basically any line that has something to do with shadows should be either set to 0 or one when we are talking about resolutions. If you set the resolution also to 0 it will cause massive lag. Btw just a hunch but it sounds like the biasscale or the distance is causing issues for you.

shadow values.txt

these lines should be changed like i state them in the text document i will be adding here. Basically any line that has something to do with shadows should be either set to 0 or one when we are talking about resolutions. If you set the resolution also to 0 it will cause massive lag. Btw just a hunch but it sounds like the biasscale or the distance is causing issues for you.

That didn't solve the issue (although it improved my performance slightly). HOWEVER, I think I know what is causing the problem: the sunlight. Whenever shadows move it's probably due to the time passing and the sun (don't remember its lore name) moving.

Some shadows are cast by multiple sources at once, which can cause the shadow striping effect when they don't mesh together well. It can happen on any settings, though it's more noticeable with lower ones.

Check out a mod called Shadow Striping fix, it manually tweaks lightsources so that they don't do that. If you have USLEEP you should already have it.

Some shadows are cast by multiple sources at once, which can cause the shadow striping effect when they don't mesh together well. It can happen on any settings, though it's more noticeable with lower ones.

Check out a mod called Shadow Striping fix, it manually tweaks lightsources so that they don't do that. If you have USLEEP you should already have it.

You mean it is included in USLEEP or that I should have downloaded it by now?

Gosh I hope I don't have to install another mod for Skyrim, as it suffers greatly from the memory leak problem.

Gosh I hope I don't have to install another mod for Skyrim, as it suffers greatly from the memory leak problem.

It's included in USLEEP. Check to see if you have the latest version, 3.0.6 is when it started including shadow striping fix. Also, I went and checked some things out, I got my shadow resolution really low and then tried this in SkyrimPrefs.ini:

fShadowBiasScale=0.5000

iBlurDeferredShadowMask=10

Didn't notice any performance drop since it's angle and blur changes, but it helped a lot, barely any striping and shadows look smooth even at low res. Try it out?

edit: on that note you should try just installing ENB. It improves performance on its own without any preset even while the effect isn't active, I'm on Windows 10 and since Skyrim is limited to 4gb, it uses my other 4gb as VRAM, very helpful stuff.

You don't have to have an enb to use ENBoost.

OH NO! NOT THAT SHIT AGAIN! The last time I tried to use ENBoost it screwed my Skyrim's performance AND load times due to the memory problem.

I'm good with ~30 FPS.

OH NO! NOT THAT SHIT AGAIN! The last time I tried to use ENBoost it screwed my Skyrim's performance AND load times due to the memory problem.

I'm good with ~30 FPS.

Then you must've installed it wrong/used bad settings. ENB makes skyrim run much smoother, takes some of the rendering weight off the game engine at least.

I'd also suggest using crashfixes with it's UseOSAllocater. With that and ENB Skyrim is a totally different game.

The fact you use none of these and don't understand why you're having problems is honestly pretty crazy.

I don't even want to guess what other core utilities you don't use.

Please tell me you at least use LOOT and Wrye Bash?

I'm good with ~30 FPS.

Then you must've installed it wrong/used bad settings. ENB makes skyrim run much smoother, takes some of the rendering weight off the game engine at least.

I'd also suggest using crashfixes with it's UseOSAllocater. With that and ENB Skyrim is a totally different game.

The fact you use none of these and don't understand why you're having problems is honestly pretty crazy.

I use Crashfixes and LOOT. I don't install ENB because my computer is low-end.

Besides, I installed the shadow remover they recommended me before and the problem has been solved.

Although, if you could explain me how to properly install ENBoost and get all the positive effects without the negative effects (fps drop, loading screen increases...), then I'd be more than pleased.

Oh! And I don't use Wrye Bash (should I? Nobody has ever told me to do so).

I'm good with ~30 FPS.

Besides, I installed the shadow remover they recommended me before and the problem has been solved.

Although, if you could explain me how to properly install ENBoost and get all the positive effects without the negative effects (fps drop, loading screen increases...), then I'd be more than pleased.

Wyre Bash, the latest version at least. Allows you to merge plugins it registeres as patches, this has saved me about 10-12 plugins worth of space it also merges plugin level lists to avoid item spawning confilicts.

To just install ENB, you go to http://enbdev.com/download_mod_tesskyrim.html

Get the latest (308 as of writing this), Unzip, go into wrapper folder and copy D3D9.dll, enbhost, enbseries and enblocal to your main skyrim directory, not data.

Go into enblocal, "ReservedMemorySize" and "VideoMemorySize" if you have at least 4gb of RAM and a few hundred MB in your integrated graphics, default settings should be fine as it'll use RAM for the rest. I don't know what you have so I can't really say specifically.

http://enbdev.com/download_vramsizetest.htm or you can just use than and set that as your "VideoMemorySize", maybe half it since you probably wont have a lot and skyrim's engine will still need some. Then set the "ReservedMemorySize" to 1/4 or 1/2 of that.

Anywho, scroll down after that set "ForceAntisotropicFIltering" to false, put it's "MaxAnisotrophy" to 0 just to be sure.

Enable Vsync so you don't get some kind of crazy frame jumps when changing cells.

Scroll some more to "AntiAliasing" make sure they're all disabled.

Disable "FixTintGamma" just below that.

Save and exit.

Open enbseries, under "Global", "UseEffect" set to false.

That should disable all graphical enhancement aspects of ENB and leave you just with the stability enhancement of EnbBoost

I'm good with ~30 FPS.

Wyre Bash, the latest version at least. Allows you to merge plugins it registeres as patches, this has saved me about 10-12 plugins worth of space it also merges plugin level lists to avoid item spawning confilicts.

To just install ENB, you go to http://enbdev.com/download_mod_tesskyrim.html

Get the latest (308 as of writing this), Unzip, go into wrapper folder and copy D3D9.dll, enbhost, enbseries and enblocal to your main skyrim directory, not data.

Go into enblocal, "ReservedMemorySize" and "VideoMemorySize" if you have at least 4gb of RAM and a few hundred MB in your integrated graphics, default settings should be fine as it'll use RAM for the rest. I don't know what you have so I can't really say specifically.

http://enbdev.com/download_vramsizetest.htm or you can just use than and set that as your "VideoMemorySize", maybe half it since you probably wont have a lot and skyrim's engine will still need some. Then set the "ReservedMemorySize" to 1/4 or 1/2 of that.

Anywho, scroll down after that set "ForceAntisotropicFIltering" to false, put it's "MaxAnisotrophy" to 0 just to be sure.

Enable Vsync so you don't get some kind of crazy frame jumps when changing cells.

Scroll some more to "AntiAliasing" make sure they're all disabled.

Disable "FixTintGamma" just below that.

Save and exit.

Open enbseries, under "Global", "UseEffect" set to false.

That should disable all graphical enhancement aspects of ENB and leave you just with the stability enhancement of EnbBoost

Well, it really did increase the performance. Maybe I can finally get rid of the 512x512 textures.

Archived