I need help with FNIS + OSex using Mod Organizer

HentaiGnome

Hey guys, I need help.

I can't get OSex to work properly because I'm having problems getting FNIS to generate the animation files. In the game, I can access OSex's menu using the numpad just fine, but I can't get the characters to actually perform any sex scenes and they just stand still. (I'm using Amorous Adventures as a mod to initiate sex scenes.)

Please note that I recently reinstalled Skyrim from scratch and this time I'm using Mod Organizer (whereas I've been using NMM for many years now). While I'm not new to modding Skyrim in general, I am new to Mod Organizer. With that said, I'm aware that the issue is most likely due to FNIS not being installed properly. In fact, I get a "Warning: Bad installation. Generator not run from a Skyrim installation directory." Not really sure how to fix that problem, but I heard from others that it can be ignored. Below is some troubleshooting that I already did:

- UAC is currently disabled.
- Mod Organizer and FNIS are both set to "run as administrator".
- Mod Organizer is installed under the "steam/steamapps/common/skyrim/" directory.
- FNIS Creature Pack is currently NOT installed (although I want it in the future for SexLab).

- OSA is a requirement for OSex so it's currently installed.

- I made sure Groovtama's XPMSE is installed.
- I run FNIS within Mod Organizer (I have a toolbar shortcut for it).

As far as installing FNIS is concerned, I followed these instructions and I'm pretty sure I got it exactly right:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpOuGN-yr6E and http://wiki.step-project.com/Fores_New_Idles_in_Skyrim

I'd appreciate it if anyone can help me in getting FNIS and OSex to work. Thanks! :)

Oh and below is a copy of the FNIS errors:

FNIS Behavior V6.3   9/10/2016 11:52:26 PM
Skyrim: 1.9.32.0 - F:\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\ (Steam)

Skeleton(hkx) female: Unknown (99 bones)   male: Unknown (99 bones)
Patch: "GENDER Specific Animations"
Patch: "SKELETON Arm Fix"

Reading 0Sex_0MF_D V?.? ...
Reading 0Sex_0MF_K V?.? ...
Reading 0Sex_0MF_M V?.? ...
Reading 0Sex_0MF_S V?.? ...
Reading 0Sex_0MF_U V?.? ...
Reading 0Sex_EMF_A V?.? ...
Reading FNISBase V6.3 ...
Reading XPMSE V6.1  ( 0 furniture, 0 offset, 0 paired, 0 kill, 0 chair, 164 alternate animations) ...
Reading _ESG_0ER_F V?.? ...
Reading _ESG_0ER_M V?.? ...

All Anim Lists scanned. Generating Behavior Files ...
No GENDER directory male
 18 GENDER modifications for Animations\female

ERROR(2012): Could not generate: defaultfemale.hkx defaultmale.hkx weapequip.hkx staggerbehavior.hkx sprintbehavior.hkx magicmountedbehavior.hkx magicbehavior.hkx magic_readied_direction_behavior.hkx 1hm_locomotion.hkx

Hey guys, I need help.

I can't get OSex to work properly because I'm having problems getting FNIS to generate the animation files. In the game, I can access OSex's menu using the numpad just fine, but I can't get the characters to actually perform any sex scenes and they just stand still. (I'm using Amorous Adventures as a mod to initiate sex scenes.)

Please note that I recently reinstalled Skyrim from scratch and this time I'm using Mod Organizer (whereas I've been using NMM for many years now). While I'm not new to modding Skyrim in general, I am new to Mod Organizer. With that said, I'm aware that the issue is most likely due to FNIS not being installed properly. In fact, I get a "Warning: Bad installation. Generator not run from a Skyrim installation directory." Not really sure how to fix that problem, but I heard from others that it can be ignored. Below is some troubleshooting that I already did:

- UAC is currently disabled.

- Mod Organizer and FNIS are both set to "run as administrator".

- Mod Organizer is installed under the "steam/steamapps/common/skyrim/" directory.

- FNIS Creature Pack is currently NOT installed (although I want it in the future for SexLab).

- OSA is a requirement for OSex so it's currently installed.

- I made sure Groovtama's XPMSE is installed.

- I run FNIS within Mod Organizer (I have a toolbar shortcut for it).

As far as installing FNIS is concerned, I followed these instructions and I'm pretty sure I got it exactly right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpOuGN-yr6E and http://wiki.step-project.com/Fores_New_Idles_in_Skyrim

I'd appreciate it if anyone can help me in getting FNIS and OSex to work. Thanks! :)

Oh and below is a copy of the FNIS errors:

FNIS Behavior V6.3   9/10/2016 11:52:26 PM
Skyrim: 1.9.32.0 - F:\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\ (Steam)

Reading 0Sex_0MF_D V?.? ...
Reading 0Sex_0MF_K V?.? ...
Reading 0Sex_0MF_M V?.? ...
Reading 0Sex_0MF_S V?.? ...
Reading 0Sex_0MF_U V?.? ...
Reading 0Sex_EMF_A V?.? ...
Reading XPMSE V6.1  ( 0 furniture, 0 offset, 0 paired, 0 kill, 0 chair, 164 alternate animations) ...
Reading _ESG_0ER_F V?.? ...
Reading _ESG_0ER_M V?.? ...

No GENDER directory male

ERROR(2012): Could not generate: defaultfemale.hkx defaultmale.hkx weapequip.hkx staggerbehavior.hkx sprintbehavior.hkx magicmountedbehavior.hkx magicbehavior.hkx magic_readied_direction_behavior.hkx 1hm_locomotion.hkx

did you follow a tutorial video on how to install fnis using mod organiser? 

here is a tutorial from gamerpoets, (in case you didnt follow a tutorial) whom you should be familiar with.

seems like he released a new tutorial that's very in depth. for installing fnis using MO you may not need to view the entire video but you should set aside the time to do so. remember with mod organiser, executables that affect mods and plugins need to be run through Mod Organiser, unlike nexus mod manager which allows them to be run independently. 

here is a tutorial from gamerpoets, (in case you didnt follow a tutorial) whom you should be familiar with.

seems like he released a new tutorial that's very in depth. for installing fnis using MO you may not need to view the entire video but you should set aside the time to do so. remember with mod organiser, executables that affect mods and plugins need to be run through Mod Organiser, unlike nexus mod manager which allows them to be run independently. 

Thanks for the link, but unfortunately it didn't resolve my issue. :(

A lot of the things mentioned in the video were already mentioned in Gopher's video as well as on the STEP wiki. They also mentioned some things that I've already done as outlined on my original post (it was hidden in the spoiler). I did pay especially close attention to the "PreInstallation" and "Troubleshooting" sections in the hopes that maybe they'd mention something that I missed, but nope.

Mod Organizer is installed inside the Skyrim directory and FNIS is installed within Mod Organizer. As I've mentioned before I also run FNIS through Mod Organizer. FNIS still has that warning about it not being run from a Skyrim installation. And ultimately, it doesn't generate the animation files for anything including OSex. :(

I've also uninstalled/reinstalled FNIS but to no avail. Lol why is this so difficult.. NMM was literally plug-and-play for me. But I really want to understand Mod Organizer since I've heard lots of good things about it. :(

A lot of the things mentioned in the video were already mentioned in Gopher's video as well as on the STEP wiki. They also mentioned some things that I've already done as outlined on my original post (it was hidden in the spoiler). I did pay especially close attention to the "PreInstallation" and "Troubleshooting" sections in the hopes that maybe they'd mention something that I missed, but nope.

Mod Organizer is installed inside the Skyrim directory and FNIS is installed within Mod Organizer. As I've mentioned before I also run FNIS through Mod Organizer. FNIS still has that warning about it not being run from a Skyrim installation. And ultimately, it doesn't generate the animation files for anything including OSex. :(

I've also uninstalled/reinstalled FNIS but to no avail. Lol why is this so difficult.. NMM was literally plug-and-play for me. But I really want to understand Mod Organizer since I've heard lots of good things about it. :(

oh i missed the spoiler.

you do have OSA installed rite? because OSex is a module of OSA and requires OSA to work.

oh i missed the spoiler.

you do have OSA installed rite? because OSex is a module of OSA and requires OSA to work.

No problem, I realized my first post was kind of lengthy and messy :P

Yeah, I have OSA installed along with OSex. The strange thing is that in the game OSex's menu works, but I just can't get the animations to work for the obvious reason that FNIS is being a pain. The ironic thing is that even if I'm new to Mod Organizer so far just about all the other mods that I've installed with it are working fine, even Bodyslide, so go figure lol...

oh i missed the spoiler.

No problem, I realized my first post was kind of lengthy and messy :P

Yeah, I have OSA installed along with OSex. The strange thing is that in the game OSex's menu works, but I just can't get the animations to work for the obvious reason that FNIS is being a pain. The ironic thing is that even if I'm new to Mod Organizer so far just about all the other mods that I've installed with it are working fine, even Bodyslide, so go figure lol...

alrite so what happens if you uninstall OSex from MO and run fnis?

I uninstalled both OSA and OSex just incase, ran FNIS through MO and now getting sort of a similar error still...

FNIS Behavior V6.3   9/11/2016 1:56:00 AM
Skyrim: 1.9.32.0 - f:\steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\ (Steam)

No GENDER directory male

ERROR(2012): Could not generate: defaultfemale.hkx defaultmale.hkx weapequip.hkx staggerbehavior.hkx sprintbehavior.hkx magicmountedbehavior.hkx magicbehavior.hkx magic_readied_direction_behavior.hkx 1hm_locomotion.hkx 1hm_behavior.hkx 0_master.hkx

When I click to run FNIS, does it matter if I have a mod currently selected on the left pane of MO?

I uninstalled both OSA and OSex just incase, ran FNIS through MO and now getting sort of a similar error still...

No GENDER directory male

ERROR(2012): Could not generate: defaultfemale.hkx defaultmale.hkx weapequip.hkx staggerbehavior.hkx sprintbehavior.hkx magicmountedbehavior.hkx magicbehavior.hkx magic_readied_direction_behavior.hkx 1hm_locomotion.hkx 1hm_behavior.hkx 0_master.hkx

When I click to run FNIS, does it matter if I have a mod currently selected on the left pane of MO?

so i google that error code ERROR (2012)

found this

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/49806-fnis-error-2012-when-running-sexlab/

lel. not sure if that will help. ironic that its right here.

No GENDER directory male

found this

Thanks, gonna try to look into that now. :(

Btw here's a screenshot of how my Mod Organizer looks like. Does anything look out of the ordinary?

Screenshot_15.png

No GENDER directory male

found this

Thanks, gonna try to look into that now. :(

Btw here's a screenshot of how my Mod Organizer looks like. Does anything look out of the ordinary?

Screenshot_15.png

In the left window i see fnis has a priority of 107. Mines is a little higher (55). but other than that i dont think anything is wrong. the thread that i linked said dawnguard dragonborn and hearthfires has to be enabled and installed before fnis in both windows and it seems like that is the case with your MO. Do you use loot?

Mm okay. As a test I tried putting the priority as high as I could (just below the DLC and official patches), as well as putting it at the lowest priority below all other mods. No success. :(

Umm.. I used to use LOOT when I was using NMM, but now I haven't installed it because I noticed MO already has a sort function. Should I install LOOT anyway?

everything i've read says wrong priority/fnis being overwritten by another mod but i can see that nothing is overwriting your fnis there.

Mm okay. As a test I tried putting the priority as high as I could (just below the DLC and official patches), as well as putting it at the lowest priority below all other mods. No success. :(

Umm.. I used to use LOOT when I was using NMM, but now I haven't installed it because I noticed MO already has a sort function. Should I install LOOT anyway?

yes install LOOT and run it through the MO. and like the dude said above, maybe you can sort your mods in the left pane according to priority and post more pics.

Nope.. :(  Installed LOOT and ran it through MO. It was successful in organizing the load order but it still didn't help with FNIS. When I run FNIS it still gives me those same errors along with the warning: >>Warning: Bad installation. Generator not run from a Skyrim installation directory.<<

I don't get it. This is the full path to my FNIS. I don't see why it considers itself a "bad installation"...

F:\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Mod Organizer\mods\FNIS Behavior\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users

Edit: In all honesty I'm not sure if that has any link to why I'm getting the Error(2012) problems. When I watched gamerpoets's video he said that it's either due to antivirus (unlikely for me since I don't have one installed except for Windows Defender that comes built-in with Windows 10, but I have set exceptions to whitelist Steam and Skyrim), or that I "messed up somewhere in the installation" which is pretty much vague but makes me believe that maybe there really is something wrong with how I have FNIS installed. As to what, I dunno lol..

Nope.. :(  Installed LOOT and ran it through MO. It was successful in organizing the load order but it still didn't help with FNIS. When I run FNIS it still gives me those same errors along with the warning: >>Warning: Bad installation. Generator not run from a Skyrim installation directory.<<

I don't get it. This is the full path to my FNIS. I don't see why it considers itself a "bad installation"...

F:\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Mod Organizer\mods\FNIS Behavior\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users

Edit: In all honesty I'm not sure if that has any link to why I'm getting the Error(2012) problems. When I watched gamerpoets's video he said that it's either due to antivirus (unlikely for me since I don't have one installed except for Windows Defender that comes built-in with Windows 10, but I have set exceptions to whitelist Steam and Skyrim), or that I "messed up somewhere in the installation" which is pretty much vague but makes me believe that maybe there really is something wrong with how I have FNIS installed. As to what, I dunno lol..

E:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\ModOrganizer\mods\FNIS Behavior\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users

alrite so i googled the bad installation message

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/35954-bad-fnis-installation/

they talk about having data files within data files. but your directory there is the same as mines.

i dont know what else to do besides uninstalling it and reinstalling it =\

E:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\ModOrganizer\mods\FNIS Behavior\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users

they talk about having data files within data files. but your directory there is the same as mines.

OMG!! Wow.. Why didn't I realize it before?!  :o

You're right about the whole "data files within data files" thing. Long story short, I fixed my damn problem lol. All I had to do was literally copy the stuff inside FNIS's Data folder and paste it inside Skyrim's Data folder. In other words, I did a manual installation lol. And then I went back to MO and added the executable file of FNIS as a toolbar shortcut so I can run it through MO (as it should be). 

So it turned out that in my case the reason why FNIS kept complaining with that warning was because it literally wanted its files to be inside Skyrim's Data folder instead of being buried somewhere further down inside MO's. In my defense, I was under the impression that the whole point of using MO was so I didn't have to tamper with Skyrim's directory (unless it was like an ENB) and I stubbornly depended too much on that idea that it blinded me from seeing the solution, which was really simple lol.

Damn... I can't believe I spent hours figuring this out but I guess I learned quite a bit in the process. THANK YOU for being patient and helping me out with this!  :D

OMG!! Wow.. Why didn't I realize it before?!  :o

You're right about the whole "data files within data files" thing. Long story short, I fixed my damn problem lol. All I had to do was literally copy the stuff inside FNIS's Data folder and paste it inside Skyrim's Data folder. In other words, I did a manual installation lol. And then I went back to MO and added the executable file of FNIS as a toolbar shortcut so I can run it through MO (as it should be). 

So it turned out that in my case the reason why FNIS kept complaining with that warning was because it literally wanted its files to be inside Skyrim's Data folder instead of being buried somewhere further down inside MO's. In my defense, I was under the impression that the whole point of using MO was so I didn't have to tamper with Skyrim's directory (unless it was like an ENB) and I stubbornly depended too much on that idea that it blinded me from seeing the solution, which was really simple lol.

Damn... I can't believe I spent hours figuring this out but I guess I learned quite a bit in the process. THANK YOU for being patient and helping me out with this!  :D

hummm. I'm not sure about that. Cuz I mean i just pasted my fnis directory there for you and I use MO as well, and my fnis is not in my skyrim data folder. If it works without problems though then cool.  :cool:

hummm. I'm not sure about that. Cuz I mean i just pasted my fnis directory there for you and I use MO as well, and my fnis is not in my skyrim data folder. If it works without problems though then cool.  :cool:

You are absolutely right.

When you do every right under MO, then FNIS is NOT in the regular Skyrim/data/tools folder, but in the one under MO. The trick is that MO makes FNIS believe that it is called from its usual place. The same like for every other mod that is installed by MO.

I'm sure you guys in the end had figured that yourself. I'm using this thread to spread word that you should strictly avoid installing FNIS manually AND under MO. MO can react pretty weird on a double install manually and under MO. A situation HentaiGnome might encounter once he has learned how to install and run FNIS. :)

I'm sure you guys in the end had figured that yourself. I'm using this thread to spread word that you should strictly avoid installing FNIS manually AND under MO. MO can react pretty weird on a double install manually and under MO. A situation HentaiGnome might encounter once he has learned how to install and run FNIS. :)

Thanks for this heads up, fore.

99% of problems people report about FNIS not working (in case of Mod Organizer) are because bad installations or bad executions.

Does not really matter if you install FNIS in MO or Data directory.

But you should NEVER install in both places.

And you ALWAYS should run it from Mod Organizer and NEVER from Data.

This applies ONLY to the case you use Mod Organizer.

@ fore:

Thanks for the clarification. :) Sorry if I wasn't clear in my earlier post, but I actually don't have double installs of FNIS. What I did was first completely remove FNIS from MO, and then I copied the contents inside its Data folder (originally from the zip file that I downloaded via Nexus) into Skyrim's Data folder. Only then did I create a toolbar shortcut of FNIS within MO so I can run it through MO. Now I understand manually installing FNIS is the wrong way to do it, but it's the only way that's worked for me so far. I watched two tutorial vids on installing FNIS on MO plus read the STEP wiki, followed the instructions to the letter, and spent almost 6 hours yesterday trying to figure out why FNIS just wouldn't work. I think on your Nexus page you even mentioned that FNIS works best using NMM as opposed to MO.  :P  Maybe I will run into an issue someday, but so far everything's been smooth. *knock on wood lol*

@ CPU:

Again, sorry I wasn't clear earlier but I don't have two installs of FNIS. I did have to manually install it in Data folder but it's the only way for it to work (as of right now). But I am running FNIS through MO, not externally or anything. :)

I usually just install with NMM, because i feel like it's more supported. At least from what I've seen. 

Yeah I used to use NMM for years and installing FNIS with it was extremely easy and painless, literally plug and play if you had to ask me, and I've never had problems with it. I think in general I've never had problems with NMM. But after a while I decided to start over Skyrim with a fresh clean slate and I also wanted to try out Mod Organizer because I saw how many people praised and raved about it especially here on LoversLab. And to be fair, MO has been pretty good so far with just a few hiccups here and there that I was able to resolve on my own. It's just FNIS that's been the biggest roadblock for me and unfortunately I could not install it as easily as other people. Again, I've read the STEP wiki, watched a couple tutorials, read forums, did everything I could to try to resolve the issue. Maybe it's because I'm using Windows 10, who knows. But right now, I'm happy that I found a workaround that's got FNIS functioning. Granted, it's not a recommended workaround but it's a workaround nonetheless. :)

EDIT: And in before the haters, I just want people to know that I like FNIS and I'm thankful that fore's given us such a valuable tool. Honestly, I think many of the SexLab stuff wouldn't be here today without FNIS. So this thread isn't to bash fore and FNIS, in fact it's to show that I DO need FNIS and so I went to great lengths to get it to work on my system. :)

Archived