Bad FNIS Installation

MrBooHockey

In-game I get the following:

Outdated or missing "Fores New Idles in Skyrim"

(FNIS) install detected.

Sexlab currently requires FNIS v5.11 or newer in

order to function. To continue using the mod; you

must update and enable your FNIS install, followed

by running the GenerateFNISForUsers.exe tool.

I tried reinstalling FNIS and running GenerateFNISForUsers.exe again and each times I get:

>>Warning: Bad installation. Generator not run from a Skyrim installation directory.<<
FNIS Behavior V5.1.1   24/08/2014 19:36:30
Skyrim: ??.?? - 
Generator: C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\Data\FNIS Behavior 5.1.1\Data\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users\GenerateFNISforUsers.exe

Skeleton female: Default (99 bones)   male: Default (99 bones)
Patch: "SKELETON Arm Fix" 

Reading FNIS V5.1.1 ...
Reading FNISBase V5.1.1 ...

All Anim Lists scanned. Generating Behavior Files ...

Creature Pack not installed

129 animations for 2 mods successfully included (character)
 1 Warning(s).

Only just figuring out mods today, have a feeling I've made a complete mess of my Skyrim folder *head spinning*
Is it because I have copied the folders over when I should have copied the contents only or something?

Mods are something you ease into, not hop into the deep end but I applaud you!

I can attempt to help in a small way. You might have it installed into the wrong folder 

Generator: C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\Data\FNIS Behavior 5.1.1\Data\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users\GenerateFNISforUsers.exe

Very probably might be a major problem, it should look like Skyrim\Data\tools\generateFNIS....etc. It's not even reading what version of skyrim you're running.

If you haven't started learning yet, using Mod Organizer will be the easiest way to begin sorting it out by first starting out with a clean skyrim folder. That way your main folders aren't fiddled with in any way and it's as simple as drag and drop folders in the program to change overwrites. And then you can see what exactly is overwriting what.

FNIS is a very picky thing to begin learning with, posting with your load order so the more savvy peoples can assist will also be helpful.

Load order is what the order your.esp/.esm's are in the manager that you are using. .esm's are first .esp's are 2nd each mod you install the .esp/.esm gets placed in the load order but they will not generally be in the correct order that is why there is things like LOOT which moves things into the correct order except maybe for things it doesn't know and those will have to be manually moved and it will show you all mods that have dirty edits that need to be cleaned with tes5edit as dirty edits can cause problems with a game and then there is also tes5edit which can clean dirty mods it can tell you if a master is missing or if a mod that you have installed is placed below something that it needs to run correctly.

Well, easiest explanation is it's the order in how the modifications load in your game. I just noticed in another forum you were having some difficulty with installing SKSE which is extremely essential to most modern modding in skyrim. 

Quote found  HERE might help also

First the point of MO is to not install anything in your data folder. Just install FNIS the same as any other mod just like Lother said. After that click on the drop down menu on the right the one you select SKSE and such from select edit and browse for the executable mine is at D:\Tools\ModOrganizer\mods\FNIS Behavior V4 1 1 -- ALWAYS necessary\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users\GenerateFNISforUsers.exe  yours will be some place different of course but similar. You can find a video tutorial for MO their http://www.nexusmods...im/mods/31499/?

These links might help you out, I'd suggest doing a bunch of reading before you get into too much, start small, figure out how to run Mod organizer with SKSE (Which is simply a tweaked up launcher to recognize the changes you're making)

http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Mod_Organizer

Beginners guide for MO on youtube

http://wiki.step-project.com/Fores_New_Idles_in_Skyrim

Also, Loot And the tutorial by Gopher will help out in terms of understanding the importance of your load order.

thanks guys, some stuff for me to chew on there.

Yeah I had some confusion with the SKSE at first, but managed to figure it out in a bluff my way through kind of way. Basically have just been following the instructions pinned in this forum for installing all the basic essential stuff needed before mods can be used: SKSE, FNIS, SexLab Framework, SkyUI.

I did all that and then installed one mod Sexlab Romance, dipping my toe in, but of course it's not actually working. I now have the SkyUI console in-game but still get the "Outdated or missing "Fores New Idles in Skyrim (FNIS) install detected." error message and no working mod, so need to work on clearing up those basics needed before mods can be used.

I will look into the mod organizer and do some more reading, so thanks for the advice and the handy links.

Got interrupted for a bit, but I've sorted it out now. Basically as you showed in that post, I had data files within data files. I tidied it up and merged all the folders, and then GenerateFNISForUsers.exe  worked properly. Have launched the game to check and all's good, the Romance mod is working now.

Yay, victory.

Thanks again!

Archived