When do you become a part of the LL community?

When is a forum member considered "accepted"?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. When is a forum member considered "accepted"?

• More than 200 posts.
    • More than 500 posts.
    • Depends on how good the mods they release are.
    • It's not about the posts, it's the person, dammit!
    • Try again, none of the above.

Is it the amount of posts? Is it mods you're able to contribute? If you're a no-talent-ass-clown like me, can you ever hope to be accepted into the fold?

I recently came across a thread by GSBModders where he was forced to take his mods down because they were being pilfered for financial gain by other forums. He stated he'd only give out the mods to established LL members, which he numbered at 400 or so posts. Does that number seem right? More maybe? Less? Gasp! None of the above?! Seemed like a perfect discussion topic so I thought I'd start a poll. As a new forum member myself, the question is particularly relevant.

So, as Linda Richman would say..."Talk amongst yourselves."

1993-10-30-1.jpg

Part of the community.....well that is difficult to define. I think like anything you need to hang around and let folks get to know you. Contributions are welcome but not required.

As to getting files.....well the only mods that I am aware of that fall under the restriction are GSB's stuff and he has a legitimate beef.

I tend to pay more attention to folks with lower post counts but that is likely because I spend most of my time in the tech help threads.

Signing up and starting to post Is really all you need to do... really.

Post count means relatively nothing, it's if you post and what you post.

I would say when you stop lurking around and help others around the forum is when you are truly a member.

*agrees with this*

I'm definitely no expert and I know absolutely nothing about modding..but if I can help someone who has a problem then I will too the best of my abilities.

Not really about the post' date=' rather the personality and the users activity.

Hell, if its about post why won't we just become sites that requires 30 post for downloads. Lol

[/quote']

It a cross between personality, activity and if they help others within the community.

And no that would just make people leave. Besides that would be annoying as no new users would be able to download the mods to try them.

I would rather say a state of mind.

Choosing for more liberty while remaining in the acceptable and giving a hand to other (instead of a finger like some would tend to~).

And I guess it's not that much the number of post that matter but what those post reflect that should be considered, otherwise spamming would give the same results while being "off".

Not really about the post' date=' rather the personality and the users activity.

Hell, if its about post why won't we just become sites that requires 30 post for downloads. Lol

[/quote']

If that came to be we'd see more spam and stupidity, mainly in the "big board of fun" section because that's the fastest way to up post count.

[/quote']

If that came to be we'd see more spam and stupidity, mainly in the "big board of fun" section because that's the fastest way to up post count.

Exactly.

Not to diss VGU, but I've been a member for months now, but before I got approved I was rejected twice. Why? Their reason... Spam post. I was like what the F*CK!?!? I am helping people out with info and teaching them about conformulation of head and hair meshes, and what??? Spam?

But got approved when I hosted my mod. Not because of their 30 post rule.

To keep subject going. Its not only VGU.

I've seen a lot of sites that require post counts so you can have your account verified.

[/quote']

Exactly.

Not to diss VGU, but I've been a member for months now, but before I got approved I was rejected twice. Why? Their reason... Spam post. I was like what the F*CK!?!? I am helping people out with info and teaching them about conformulation of head and hair meshes, and what??? Spam?

But got approved when I hosted my mod. Not because of their 30 post rule.

To keep subject going. Its not only VGU.

I've seen a lot of sites that require post counts so you can have your account verified.

well if LL starts doing that then we will lose people and over half our newbs!

I think it's when you decide to delete Oblivion in frustration and reinstall for the 5th time :P

For a game like this? I think I'd punch a hole through the hard drive on the 2nd. One time is a bad enough experience!

...OK I know I can get the whole lovers suite ' date=' claudias, sexlivion, cursed armor, monstergirl, colourwheels stuff, every race I can find with full modular beautiful wonderful amazing people plus plus plus and about 50 other mods to work perfectly together if I just am really careful and paying attention...yep this time I know I can do it lol (pulls hair out while blubbering in a corner)

[/quote']

Sigh, mebbe it's time I learned how to use Wrye Bash as well... *shudders*

No one has chosen one of the first 3 options.

This is why I have faith in this community.

Well stated sir.

Though it is unfortunate that GSB was subject to such underhanded and unethical behavior' date=' I must remind everyone that as far as I'm aware it has been a single isolated occurrence here at LL.

Can and will it happen again? Probably. Now that they were successful the first time, they are likely to try again.

This considered, I feel the question as a whole is invalid. Its GSBs choice to how he wishes to distribute his material. If he chooses to only provide download links to those who registered in 2011, then that is his right as per being the mod creator.

Frankly....we are fortunate he didn't decide to pull his mods completely, and for that, I thank him sincerely.

He does amazing work and it would have been a shame to lose access to it through the underhanded bumbling of some over ambitious cum-sock.

But I digress...

I feel a good community member can be either a user, modder or lurker. With my experience as a moderator elsewhere, we have wonderful community members whose post counts are only double digit. People have their reasons not to participate actively just as we have our reasons to post regularly.

As far as not being a member until you create your own mod I feel is elitist at best. Again, people choose to mod or not to mod according to their own reasons. Mods of any degree take time, and time is more valuable to some than to others.

The only type of member I will actively denounce however, as not being a full member of the community are those who make an account specifically to post a [REQ'] thread asking for something outlandishly impossible. You never hear shit from them again, unless its another REQ thread or to bump their own posts. I'm not sure about LL, but my community frowns upon that crap and is usually handled swiftly.

That's it though. Those are the only forum users I feel do not deserve to be considered among the community (short of trolls and spammers). I don't expect everyone to agree with my opinion, but there it is.

MadGod is completely correct in his statement though. I was also very pleasd to see that so far no one has gone with the first 3 choices. I have no doubt someone will eventually. With as many members as he have registered, they can't all be good apples.

I was unaware GSB has decided to allow people with more then 400 posts here to download them, but I also didn't know what happened anyway, so I guess that's a moot point.

Personally, I have a small theory on how you become a member of a site. Make a account, and post at least one for five days without making a ass of yourself. If you can pull that off, you can consider yourself a member of the site. But this doesn't work for people like me, lurkers. So for a lurker, reach, I don't know, 50 posts. If you find yourself with a account which has been open for more then 2 months, and you haven't posted yet, quit being anti-social and say hello.

I rarely post unless it's to say something about a mod, help someone with their install, or ask a question about something. Or to stand on my soap box, as I am right now.

To this day, the only reason I have over 400 posts on the Bethsoft forums is because I did a lot of testing for people, and I also was quite able to break mods, but in a controlled manner and by accident, in which case I would often need help finding a fix.

On the minecraft forums, I have about 150 posts, and I've been playing since late alpha, with a ton of mods. Most of my errors I solve myself, and don't share unless other people keep getting them. So most of my posts there are like my posts anywhere else. Which is to say, either seeking help, asking questions, or when I find myself stuck between a bug and a creeper horde.

And here? I'm really out of my element. I don't even have Lovers mods running at all times, let alone a great install which allows for a wide choice of things to do in it. I'm a lurker because I don't know if I'll ever find myself in a situation where I'm thinking "man, I know I'm playing Oblivion right now, but boy do I feel like fapping". That part of my brain seems to shut off when I'm playing video games. I doubt I'd get anything done in Oblivion if I had a actual lovers setup. I'd be too busy trying to get a good looking female character going, so she could fuck everyone in the game, twice, sorted by editor ID, except for people who die shortly after I meet them(fucking Empera! Has the best voice in the game, dies before the game really starts. I only recently got the extended death dialog, and I've been trying to figure out a method for getting it every time now without save scumming) or have the editor ID 00000007 or 00000014. (Too much work!)

Besides, I usually play a guy(I mean, I have a dick, so why fuck that up with a digital representation of myself? Yes, I tend to emulate myself to a degree in all games I play, so what?), and I am the horrible at making a good looking character usually. The other reason why I play guys is because I simply know how to make a male character in Oblivion look alright enough for me to play them.

Though I suppose I could start posting my hijinx in the elder scrolls here. Or try to make videos of them and post them here. But I am the laziest weeabo I know, so I'd need someone to say they'd watch them before I can convince myself to fuck up for the world to see.

Sigh' date=' mebbe it's time I learned how to use Wrye Bash as well... *shudders*

[/quote']

LOL!!! :D

Wrye is actually just a fancy looking OBMM. It is nothing to be terrified of at all. If you have not yet seen this try the pictorial guide to ease your way into things: http://oblivion.nexusmods.com/mods/35230

Have fun!!!

Greg

Downloaded...going to give it a whirl. Thanks Greg. :)

Is it the amount of posts? Is it mods you're able to contribute? If you're a no-talent-ass-clown like me' date=' can you ever hope to be accepted into the fold?

I recently came across a thread by GSBModders where he was forced to take his mods down because they were being pilfered for financial gain by other forums. He stated he'd only give out the mods to established LL members, which he numbered at 400 or so posts. Does that number seem right? More maybe? Less? Gasp! None of the above?! Seemed like a perfect discussion topic so I thought I'd start a poll. As a new forum member myself, the question is particularly relevant.

So, as Linda Richman would say..."Talk amongst yourselves."

1993-10-30-1.jpg

there is a few misconceptions here

I pulled the mods because those of us here who release mods on LL share willingly with the world. I have never said no to anyone who wanted to use or rehost anything that I have done.

unfortunately we are not shown the same courtesy, those at moderteam forums and a few others who come here and take all they can from us are not willing to allow us to use or rehost anything

Each and every single time that we do, one of those parasites comes here and stirs up more drama, I am tired of it. I am tired of sharing with parasites who refuse to give us the same courtesies

I have stated several times that there are other ways to get links from me, if you do not have 400 posts, you can get a link by contributing to these forums.

That can be in a number of ways

the most obvious is to create a mod and host it someplace on these forums. Not everyone thinks they are up to this though and there are other ways

such as being a helpful member of this community, help out others who are attempting to identify and locate mods

help people sort out mod conflicts or load orders, some of you may not be the most social people but I'll put money down that there are more then a few lurkers who are capable of creating a stable load order while blindfolded

in short just show that you are making an honest attempt, I am paying more attention to these forums and taking notice of things like this

I am also trying something new out, it's already been started and I am sure that most of you will eventually stumble onto it. If it works out i'll move to using that

now my own thoughts as to when you become a member of an online community. I believe its right about when you start looking forward to

talking to others who are also on those boards. there are more then a few people here who I have come to think of as friends. it's pretty amazing to me since at first I thought they were jackasses at best

Archived