Review: Eve Online

Ark of Truth

My favourite online multiplayer game of all time!

Combat
Combat can happen at any time and any place within the Eve universe. Fights can be anywhere between 1vs1 to massive alliance fights numbers hundreds of ships from frigates to titans.

In Eve knowing what your ship can handle is the ultimate edge you will have

Dialogue
All the dialogue is text based unless you use Eve voice and a mic to talk to other players. Mission briefing all text based.

Story
Eve Online has no story in the terms of a campaign like you would find in Oblivion or Skyrim. While Eve Online does have a storyline in the terms of history Eve is a sand box.

What are the good points of Eve?

- Fly around in spaceships from frigates to massive titans.
- Build your own space stations.
- PVP pretty much anywhere, but this may come at a price.
- Train your skills.
- Build new ships and equip them as you see fit.
- Everyone is on one server which doesn't even lag!
- It has a 14 day trail, some skills cannot be trained though and a friend can give you access to a 21 day trail if you ask them nicely.
- Create your own avatar and walk around in a space station.
- Major expansion released every year.

Ok you have said some good things but what about the bad?

- There is no love it Eve, even family members shoot at each other in this game and some people just randomly kill you just cause they can.
- Subscription based game, does not contain any hidden charges or item Mail.
- Skills train in real time, however used to take a lot longer to train.
- When your ship below up it's gone forever, you will have to build or buy another one.
- Pirates and scammers, this is a way of life in Eve due to the fact it is a sand box.
- Some people lose sight of reality in this game.

Rating
10 Stars as far as online multiplayer games go.

Screens

tengulj.jpg

Videos

[video=youtube]

[video=youtube]

[video=youtube]

[video=youtube]

[video=youtube]

The skill training in real time I would say is a good, rather than a bad thing. Atleast for a casual gamer like me, being able to get skills even when I don't have a lot of time to play is a godsend. Of course, that means that sometimes I can't actually afford to buy some of the fancy things that I have trained for, but atleast it allows me to keep building my skillset.

Also, the fact that death/defeat actually MEANS something is the main reason I love it. I have never been so engaged in a game as one time when my shiny new ship, which I couldn't afford to lose, was down to 7% before I managed to jump out. I jumped out of my chair cheering when I finally got out...:D

Sure, it's a bummer when you lose, but it makes the game so much more exciting. Other online games like STO and WoW doesn't really have any pentalties from dying, aside from perhaps mild annoyance.

I wouldn't say that losing multimilon ship and cargo worth in high sec to some filthy bored pirates is fun. And worst part is that they wont do it for $$$, they will do it because they are bored and like to piss people.

I wouldn't say that losing multimilon ship and cargo worth in high sec to some filthy bored pirates is fun. And worst part is that they wont do it for $$$' date=' they will do it because they are bored and like to piss people.

[/quote']

This.

I can't stand any game that condones griefing on this level. I guess if you're a glutton for spreadsheets and getting blasted out of the sky by some bored basement-dweller (not that all EVE players are basement-dwellers, just the ones who grief for griefing's sake), go for it, but you won't see me anywhere near this garbage game.

People knowledge passed from parents to children of eve.

"When you see russian chat in local, it is time to bail out from sector" ;)

By they way did they opened space station for a walk or it is just as it was in incarnia (only your cabin)?

To me eve just isnt worth playing, it will take you years just to get skills trained, ships cost way too much to buy and build, mining unless you have time and the best ship yield pitiful results, missions are boring and are proably the only way to make money but they get boring fast as you ussually find a hub and just keep doing the same one over and over, low sec is proably fun but completely stay out of there since everyone there is in the best ships with fits you ll never get unless you play for four years, high sec is devoid unless you can actually get missions that pay well that don't go into low sec, in the end the risk( which is every time you do something) outweighs the fun and reward of even playing (miniscule profit for huge input in)

Second genesis? lol were like 14 expansions ahead now and the learning curve is now more friendly.

You're right there has been a lot of expansions since second gensis(the comic is from xkcd). But by making it easier, they removed the overhang and increased the cliff climbing distance by another 33m, and added a mine field at the top followed by a bog full of highly trained alligators with lasers mounted to their heads. :P

Still it is a good MMO.

By they way did they opened space station for a walk or it is just as it was in incarnia (only your cabin)?

Still only in cabin' date=' it's basically a totally useless feature whose only good point is the gorgeous new avatars. Appearently it is a sidebenefit of CCP's development of a World of darkness (vampire the masquerade) MMO.

I hadn't realised there were so much hate for EVE out there. I guess it's not for everyone. Although...

To me eve just isnt worth playing, it will take you years just to get skills trained,

...that's just not true. You can get a decent skillset within a month or so if you specialize. You won't be able to go head to head with someone who has played since 03, obviously, but as a part of a larger group you can be useful. All MMO's have this inbalance between new and old players, in most other games it's just hidden since they work linearly, you are generally surrounded by people your own level. EVE hasn't a linear bone in it's body.

I also wouldn't agree that the missions get boring, atleast not more than in any other MMO. Granted, the only other MMO I played was WoW and STO, and WoW was a LONG time ago, but in WoW you would get the same basic missions too... there were no more variation there. Go to place X and kill monster Y. Sure, the graphics for the monsters changed, but not much else. Thing about EVE is that if you get bored with mission-running there are other activities, far more variety than in other MMO:s, atleast in my, although admittedly, limited opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

I played Eve right up until I lost my second Avatar titan, after losing a Ragnarok on an alt LOL

Estimated real money value?

$18,000.00 USD :P

After that, I sold my characters for ISK and donated the proceeds to my Corp :D

Played for a good many years, but basically decided enough was enough :)

Trykz

• 2 months later...

Pretty old player here (started 2005). Quit sometime in 2010. Never going back again.

That said, had some great experiences:

1. Fleet battles so large that they crashed the node. Repeatedly.

2. My first billion.

3. Hauling stuff worth 200M or more ... alone ... past a 70 man blockade ... and surviving.

4. Seeing just how fast I can make my interceptor.

5. Playing the implants and datacores market and making millions of ISK doing nothing (those were the days)

And various other things.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

New here.

Been reading this topic and i can't help but add my two cents.

As a reply to paladuin,

The fact that you put the skill training issue like that means you haven't played enough to REALLY get in the game. I agree on some level that it's hard to train up, but eve starts being fun once you are part of a good corp and it gets even better once you pass the magic 5-8 mil SP mark and get some friends ingame.

You would be surprised how many underfit or badly fit ships there are flying around in low and nullsec, also, truckloads of underskilled people trying to bite off more than they can chew.

The isk making is a big part of the game, it's hard at first, and may seem overwhelming, but when you get it, it's light business.

To name a few ISK making professions:

(in no particular order)

- Missioners

- Traders

- Explorers

- WH explorers

- Griefers (you'd be surprised how much one can make !)

- PvPers

- Mercs

- scammers

- Spies

- Haulers

- Industrialists

- Researchers

- Inventors

- Miners

- PI

- Builders

There may be some i've omitted, but you'll have to spare me this one :)

Eve is no easy game, but that's what makes it fun to play, once you get into it and have a perspective of where and what, it becomes more and more interesting by the day, to add on top of that, the fact that it's that hard makes it oh so very rewarding when you succeed !

I've been playing since 2008 and this is my experience of the game so far

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I love Eve Online. Alright, I have played only some 8 months, but I am having lot of fun. As it is, I am solo oriented carabear, but even so I thrive in Eve. I attribute it to the few rules I follow:

1) Make your own goals. I do that in single player games too, so nothing new to me. In sandbox it is imperative to be able to make own goals or boredom will hit hard. This helps in theme park games too, by the way.

2) Never undock in a ship you are not willing to lose. I am carebear. I have lost a few ships to NPCs, some to other players. It happens and I deal with it. It is only a game so I only move on and reship in another ship. As a corollary to this rule, I also collect ships and every now and then (when I can afford to) buy new ship of type I already own and stockpile ships, modules and ammunition in several strategic and safe locations in high sec (that includes half a dozen battleships, half a dozen strategic cruisers and half a dozen battlecruisers - and more on my second account, which is frigate/stealth bomber oriented). I may go down momentarily, but never for more than a few minutes.

3) Learn to PvP expecially if you wish to avoid PvP. Other players are there, they will on occasion attack, but if you are prepared, you can reduce likelihood of the attack, increase own chances of survival and even kill the enemy. Yes, even industrial ships can kill pirate frigates or larger vessels. Battle Badgers are no pushovers. Think of the enemy as more random NPCs, which are sometimes harder, sometimes (more rarely) easier than NPCs.

4) It's only a game. This can never be said too often.

Now, here are some fun videos (a parody and spoof):

And, juuuust so you understand. That infomercial is spoof made by CCP.

If you want to see Eve on twitch tv, you can watch CCP's twitch channel, where they are running this and following two weekends Alliance Tournament XI:

http://www.twitch.tv/ccp

Another option is watching Mad Ani's twitch channel. He is observing the war in Fountain in Eve (CFC vs Test & Friends).

http://www.twitch.tv/mad_ani

Archived