Double click on the jar file. It's an Java application, so it's stored in a file with the JAR extension.

Once it's running, add the mods you want to patch, set the output directory, then click "process".

I've uploaded a new version of Restringer. Fixed a major bug where BSA files containing script source files could not be read correctly. Added an icon, and a few minor bug fixes.

Also the source code is now posted.

If no bugs turn up in the next few days, I'll post this to downloads.

Sounds about right, Interesting NPCs has a tremendous number of scripts.

Install the patch directory as a new mod and make sure it comes after Interesting NPCs in the load order.

Well i use NMM. I made a zip from all those pex files and installed it with NMM, overwrited when asked, there was no esp to add to load order....

The problems is the patches like 3dnpc alternative start etc.. should i install them after i intall the patch or include them in the patch ?

Install the patch directory as a new mod and make sure it comes after Interesting NPCs in the load order.

Well i use NMM. I made a zip from all those pex files and installed it with NMM, overwrited when asked, there was no esp to add to load order....

The problems is the patches like 3dnpc alternative start etc.. should i install them after i intall the patch or include them in the patch ?

Restringer only patches scripts, not ESPs -- the string table only holds script data, nothing else. So just put the script patch after the main mod in your mod order. It doesn't show up in the mod list, but the new PEX files need to have priority over the old ones.

Mod patches -- like 3dNPC Alternative Start -- typically don't have any scripts, so the order doesn't matter. They can't overwrite the script patch. But if you have any patches that DO contain updated PEX files, you need to run Restringer on them at the same time as you run it on the original mod.

I hope that's clear... I'm not the best communicator when it comes to stuff like this.

Restringer only patches scripts, not ESPs -- the string table only holds script data, nothing else. So just put the script patch after the main mod in your mod order. It doesn't show up in the mod list, but the new PEX files need to have priority over the old ones.

Mod patches -- like 3dNPC Alternative Start -- typically don't have any scripts, so the order doesn't matter. They can't overwrite the script patch. But if you have any patches that DO contain updated PEX files, you need to run Restringer on them at the same time as you run it on the original mod.

I hope that's clear... I'm not the best communicator when it comes to stuff like this.

You where very clear thank you very much!

Does Restringer theoretically improve script performance?

It has ZERO affect on the performance of scripts that are running. It may slightly increase the speed of loading scripts into memory.

i know this is on my end but i'm curious as to why...

i have some mods inside large merges that i figured could use some restringin. so i would make a backup of the merge, clean all remnants of the mod out of the merge with tesedit (in my testing it was Wearable Lanterns, Selene Kate and Tania Hermit, in different mod merges), then i clean save. i check ingame, paplogs, and save cleaners, and no sign of the removed mod, but the merge still works for the rest. so far so good

then take all the scripts and restring them, package those and stick them in script folder. then re-add the original merged esp from my backup. now, i would expect this to act as if the removed mod was being installed anew, and it does a bit...but always problems. like w/ Selene Kate, the mcm shows up, all options work, but i can't recruit. Wearable Lanterns, shows the items at traders, i can also find the items in console "help", but the WL MCM never initiates and the items don't work

i was really thinkin this would work. seems like basically an uninstall, clean save, reinstall procedure...except it's like the original merged esp cannot read the restrung scripts or something.

any ideas as to why? something in the merge process??

Does a new game with the Restringer patch work?

If a new game works, then the problem is that not all of the old scripts are being cleaned out of your existing savegame. Restringer doesn't touch ESPs at all, so merging mods has no effect on it.

Could you post a sample of your papyrus log? Preferably with errors related to wearable lanterns? I have that mod installed so I can debug faster.

Does a new game with the Restringer patch work?

If a new game works, then the problem is that not all of the old scripts are being cleaned out of your existing savegame. Restringer doesn't touch ESPs at all, so merging mods has no effect on it.

Could you post a sample of your papyrus log? Preferably with errors related to wearable lanterns? I have that mod installed so I can debug faster.

haven't tried new game, but the restrung scripts work fine if i use the individual mod's original non-merged esp. so basically using Kate.esp and the restrung scripts works fine. all features work, recruiting, and string count lowered by like 400.

but remove Kate or WL from ie MergeX.esp, clean saving, adding the non-cleaned MergeX.esp and restrung scripts doesn't work.

i'm betting it's something weird with the way the merges were made. i'd made them w/ Mator's early merge scripts circa 2013-early 2014

Papyrus.0.log

Wearable lantern log^

haven't tried new game, but the restrung scripts work fine if i use the individual mod's original non-merged esp. so basically using Kate.esp and the restrung scripts works fine. all features work, recruiting, and string count lowered by like 400.

but remove Kate or WL from ie MergeX.esp, clean saving, adding the non-cleaned MergeX.esp and restrung scripts doesn't work.

i'm betting it's something weird with the way the merges were made. i'd made them w/ Mator's early merge scripts circa 2013-early 2014

attachicon.gifPapyrus.0.log

Wearable lantern log^

Are you just adding in the ESP, or are there other files as well? If there's a BSA with a few scripts in it and it's overwriting some of the Restringer patched scripts, that might account for what you are experiencing.

attachicon.gifPapyrus.0.log

Wearable lantern log^

Are you just adding in the ESP, or are there other files as well? If there's a BSA with a few scripts in it and it's overwriting some of the Restringer patched scripts, that might account for what you are experiencing.

yeah i'm adding back in everything except the nonstrung scripts. meshes, textures interface ect. but these are old merges so everything had to be unpacked anyway. no bsas. i haven't been removing the pscs. but i don't imagine the source would effect anything

if point him to mod folder he says there are no mods lol... and if i point him to mod organizer folder he says there is no mod organizer :D but if i select legacy of dragonborn folder he loads it... so i patched it now

What error message is it giving you?

Setting Mod Organizer directory

That directory doesnt seem to contain a ModOrganizer installation:

C:\Programm Files (x86)\Mod Organizer

Could you post a directory listing of your Mod Organizer folder? I'd like to figure why it's not recognizing it.

Setting Mod Organizer directory

That directory doesnt seem to contain a ModOrganizer installation:

C:\Programm Files (x86)\Mod Organizer

Could you post a directory listing of your Mod Organizer folder? I'd like to figure why it's not recognizing it.

DLLs

downloads

license

logs

loot

mods

NCC

overwrite

platforms

plugins

profiles

stylesheets

tmp

translations

tutorials

webcache

categories.dat

helper.exe

hook.dll

ModOrganizer.exe

ModOrganizer.ini

msvcp120.dll

msvcr120.dll

nxmhandler.exe

nxmhandlers.ini

python27.dll

python27.zip

uibase.dll

uninstall.exe

Are you running from Mod Organizer?

There is a bug in Mod Organizer which causes it to not work properly with 64 bit applications; so if you run Restringer in Mod Organizer and you are using the 64 bit version of Java, Restringer will not function correctly.

There is a bug in Mod Organizer which causes it to not work properly with 64 bit applications; so if you run Restringer in Mod Organizer and you are using the 64 bit version of Java, Restringer will not function correctly.

the java is 32 bit but windows is 64 and yes i am running from MO

the java is 32 bit but windows is 64 and yes i am running from MO

32bit Java should work from MO... but try running it outside of MO. See if that work better.