Review: Diablo 3

Ok Diablo 3 has only this week been released and it already kicking up a storm. After a few hours of game play I have decided to let everyone know the good and bad bits of the game it's not going to be a game for everyone but if you have played the last two this is a must buy.

Combat

Like its predecessors Diablo 3 using the same point and click system for combat and interaction. However unlike the other game it does not have a spell tree like the other and does not allow the manual distribution of character stats, the reasoning for this is not clear.

Dialogue

Uses the same dialogue system as the two previous two games. Text boxes with voice over's.

Story

Each class and class gender has its own storyline variant. Classes are as follows,

Witch Doctor - A summoner class which replaces the necromancer, can call pets and has extremely destructive magic, curses and hexes.

Wizard - Arcane magic user with power area of attack magic. This class is considered the ultimate magic users as it can do continuous magical attacks against groups of enemies.

Barbarian - A tanks class with the ultimate edge in melee combat and the most powerful when it comes to hitting enemies with weapons. Has highest defence rate when no armour is equipped.

Demon Hunter - Diablo 3's rouge class. The Demon hunter is able to create traps and attack enemies with bows at range. Able to cloak themselves during combat it is perfect for the hit and run type of player.

Monk - This unique class is unlike any other previously seen within the Diablo series. The monk is a quick mobility and speed class with the body to channel magic throughout their body. Being the only combo hitter within the game the monk is able to quickly charge their attacks and unleash powerful protection magic and healing spells. Considered by most as more advanced paladin class.

Throughout the storyline the player will run into some familiar faces both friend and foe as well as introduce some new interesting ones. Players will also go back to old places as well as go forth into new detailed and challenging areas.

MISC

- Highly detailed enemies each with they own unique skills and appearance.

- Contains game lore and explains the origins of several enemies, heroes and NPCs.

- Hero appearance changes with levels and equipment.

- Retail version contains two guest passes to be given to friends. Not sure about digital download version.

- Real Money Auction House allows players to trade items for real money as well as in game gold. All transaction done through PayPal and overseen by Blizzard. NOTE: blizzard takes 10% for themselves of anything you sell.

- Contains coop play which allows the players to go around completely the storyline like it does in Diablo 2. Storyline is the same regradless if solo or coop.

- Requires internet connection due to achievements and defence against copyright. Cannot be played offline.

- Using hacks or back recalling Paypal payments leads to eb permanently banned. Yes there have the right to do so.

Rating:

9 of 10 ( -1 point for using previous game dialogue system)

[video=youtube]

[video=youtube]

[video=youtube]

welp aside from being hit with several updates, this game is pretty good, a lot more changes were made since the open beta and i still find playing dhalsim aka witch doctor to be the best xD

and this time i don't lag when i use spider jarate

Can't rate at the moment to be honest' date=' due to lack of game play

[/quote']

This is my conclusion.

It feels like a Diablo, but in the first 24 hours after it launched, I had 10 hours available to play (didn't miss any sleep or skip work or anything, just my normal free time) and the log in servers were up for a grand total of 45 minutes of those 10 hours.

The brief times I was able to play were after long waits on the log in screen (well, error 37 the first night, and then the US servers simply being offline the majority of the second night), so my enthusiasm to play had been greatly diminished.

I know it's the way gaming is going, but I have no desire to play my first class in any way other than solo for my first playthrough, so requiring me to log in to play single player, but not providing a reliable log in is pretty much a fail, IMO.

Curious how much of this coming weekend the log in servers will be down. If they're down a lot, it pretty much confirms Blizzard did an incredibly poor job at designing their log in process (or simply did not have even close to enough servers/whatever is needed to let people log in).

At this point I feel I have purchased a game that doesn't seemingly have any bugs (apart from buggy install process on Windows 7 for many users), but is simply unavailable more often than not - which isn't good for single player games.

The single player portion...Is it just like the previous Diablo games? Or are you required to play it online?

I was disappointed when I first heard about D3...The first news that I read, some years back now, made it out as being solely online. I have a satellite internet connection...even during the D1 and D2 days I couldn't get onto Blizzard's servers to play. I mean I could, but satellite latency and online gaming just don't mix. So if there is a single player mode like the previous 2 games, I will be VERY HAPPY!

The single player portion...Is it just like the previous Diablo games? Or are you required to play it online?

I was disappointed when I first heard about D3...The first news that I read' date=' some years back now, made it out as being solely online. I have a satellite internet connection...even during the D1 and D2 days I couldn't get onto Blizzard's servers to play. I mean I could, but satellite latency and online gaming just don't mix. So if there is a single player mode like the previous 2 games, I will be VERY HAPPY!

[/quote']

You are required to log in to Battle.net to play the single player portion, so if the log in servers are down, you can't do anything.

From what I have read on the forums, unlike StarCraft 2, which requires you to log in, but not stay connected during solo play, Diablo 3 requires you to stay connected no matter what.

I can't remember the details of D1 and D2, but there are no single player characters that are different that online characters. There are just normal characters (available for either solo or 4 person co-op play) and hardmode characters (when they die, they are dead forever) that I suspect are probably also for either solo or co-op, but don't know for sure.

The reason given is that if they allowed offline play, those characters would not be available for any activity on Battle.net, and they claim that wasn't a desired feature. I know I would have preferred it, as I would have been able to play more than 45 minutes in the game's first 24 hours.

I suspect it has more to do with making sure every single Diablo 3 player is connected with the Real Money Auction House than anything else, though.

I'm loving this game so far, just recently beat act 1. Very impressed with it, I mean aside from all the you know login bugs and such, but hey the game has only been out for 2 days now so you know its to be expected that there would be some issues particularly with login...like seriously who honestly expects perfection?

Anyway the class I played first was the barbarian, why? Cause I love the classics. Its also a pretty damn badass class, though the demon hunter is also a pretty good class. The wizard is pretty neat also...though they are very weak and keeping distance between you and the enemy is a definate must. Haven't tried the monk, heard good things though. Not ever gonna try the witch doctor though, I've seen the magic and stuff he can do its just not to my personal tastes you know?

Anyway I've played both of the other games and my absolute favorite thing was getting to see some old faces...and I don't mean the friendly ones. Time for round 2.

I'm loving this game so far' date=' just recently beat act 1. Very impressed with it, I mean aside from all the you know login bugs and such, but hey the game has only been out for 2 days now so you know its to be expected that there would be some issues particularly with login...like seriously who honestly expects perfection?

[/quote']

no one, but it is and was purely stupid to make the game only playable if said servers work.

i mean you have to wait in a queue to be able to play a single player game! how stupid is that?

blizzard shot themselves in the foot on that one, i already abhorred the idea when ubisoft did it, but blizzard really fucked up by requiring single player games to only work if games can talk to their servers.

multiplayer games? sure, single player games? fuck no.

I honestly didn't feel this was necessary to explain, I mean I assumed that anyone who had experience with Diablo 2 would have been capable of realizing exactly why diablo 3 is strictly online...then again its been years since I last played diablo 2 and likely years since some of you have. So I'll explain why its online only...by saying just this. Open Battle.net. Thats the reason.

Not explanitory enough for you? Alright I'll go into greater detail, stay awhile and listen :cool: .

For those of you who don't know or simply don't remember on diablo 2 there were two different types of online choices, 'battle.net' and 'open battle.net' Whats the difference between the 2? The 'battle.net' was for online characters only whereas 'open battle.net' was the online choice that let people bring there single player characters online to play with other players, now you may be saying to yourself "So? Whats so damn bad about that?" Well hush and eat a cookie whilst I explain.

The reason its so bad is because well on single player characters it is easier for a person to hack and mod their game, you know create god items like the oh so famous Black and White armors remember those? No? Well when you equipped them you were basically a god. Now just single player this wasn't a problem at all, but when those people brought their characters online...yep you guessed it all those hacked and modded items circulated through 'open battle.net' like a wild fire, and Blizzard...hated that, they always hated that.

"But regular battle.net had people hacking on it too like with treasure hunting bots and map hack" Yes thats true, but anyone caught using either of those got in serious trouble didn't they? Yes...yes they did, because it was against the rules, but if you got caught and didn't get in trouble well then you were just damn lucky, now keep eating your cookie.

At anyrate, IF blizzard made diablo 3 single player capable people would want, nay demand that they get access to online multiplayer, and blizzard wouldn't necessarily have to give it to them, but they still would've or at the very least allow them access to the online Auction house. Lets face it, some people like me can live with leaving the game alone, but others...many others cannot. They would mod and hack that game and create all kinds of godly items, and if they went online with it...it would circulate like wild fire thoughout Diablo 3's battle.net, and would indefinitely find their way onto the online Auction House, and so Diablo 3 would be ruined within less than 2 months of its release. I bet blizzard could probably handle it, but to keep track and deal with ALL of it, would require ALOT. It would be more trouble than they should have to put up with. Now you may ask "Well why not just make an open battle.net for diablo 3 huh?" Well because that would cost extra...for them.

Incase any of you forgot, Blizzard is not very fond of any of their games being hacked or modified to the point where bots and player created items...especially items that turn you into a god, are involved. So thats actually why there is not really any single player. It really is, thats the truth of it right there.

So yeah, don't blame Blizzard for there not being a single player. Blame 'open battle.net' no, not even that, blame the people who created and used those hacked and modified godly items. I mean really, making Diablo 3 online only is really a damn good way of ensuring that not no one can cheat. Everyone has to play fair, whether you like it or not. Sure it may not be the best way to ensure that no one hacks/modifies/whatevers the game, but if you can't think of a better solution then you really got no right to complain about it, and if you CAN think of a better solution, write an email to blizzard and tell them about it, who knows maybe they'll listen and even use it.

But I am serious, open battle.net from Diablo 2 is the main reason there is no offline single player. Blizzard does not want you modifying their product and adding godly items to it and damn it they are gonna do what it takes to keep it from happening. I mean yeah like this other person said, they probably will put in a single player later on, but they would have disconnect your single player characters from the online auction house and cut them off from being able to share gold and the stash and crafting skills with your online characters, cause you know all that stuff IS shared across all characters on the account. I mean yeah its do-able but it will take some time to set up, but I'ma tell you right now if Blizzard does that people are gonna bitch and complain about not being able to take those single player characters online...you just know there will be people who are gonna do that.

So with all that said, thank you for having stayed awhile and listening, now do go and enjoy yourself another cookie. I know I'm gonna go get me another cookie, cookies are awesome.

Who give a shit about auction house if he plays singleplayer only.

If they don't want to get their stuff touched they should change business.

Oh thank you mighty blizzard for eliminating offline(singleplayer) cheaters... oh what are you saying? There will be cheats but sold as DLC lol ;)

Main reason why they did that is money, nothing more nothing less.

I honestly didn't feel this was necessary to explain' date=' [wall of text']

So if the problem was "open battle.net" and not regular battle.net, why remove single player altogether and not to the intelligent thing and prevent single-player characters from transferring online?

Main reason why they did that is money' date=' nothing more nothing less.

[/quote']

No offense, but HERP DERP.

Of course they did it for money. That's what companies do. They take your money. Always been that way. Their first job is not and has never been to provide you with fun. Fun is just a beneficial factor in taking your money; that is, it's a lot easier to convince you to part with your cash if you're convinced you're getting fun out of the deal.