Review: Diablo 3

The game is still great. I have had it since release and still play quite a bit. The only problem I have is Inferno difficulty is just ridiculous. It's so difficult that it destroys the fun.

Also I am not pleased that you need to have a cellphone to use the RMAH' date=' that is bullshit. Sorry Blizzard but I don't have a phone and I don't want to buy your stupid authenticator either. Guess you don't get my money. They need more options for people without a phone. It's ridiculous that they just assume that everyone has one. (I realize that a lot do...but a lot of people do not either)

[/quote']

Inferno was always a pita even in D2. As for the RMAH it seems to be more of a CYA issue especially with real money transations, if they have a way to protect actual money exchanges, then they're also protecting themselves from legal responsibility if it gets stolen because it's two-factor authentication. Besides, if you're dropping $60 for a game what's $6.50(if you're in the US) going to really hurt you? And if you're in Canada it's $17.50(thanks customs). If you're going to use the RMAH you're going to make it back fairly quickly anyway. I already have, in 3 days I've already paid for my D3 and covered my authenticator I bought back april while I was out west. And I was playing the normal AH, not the hardcore AH.

The game is still great. I have had it since release and still play quite a bit. The only problem I have is Inferno difficulty is just ridiculous. It's so difficult that it destroys the fun.

Also I am not pleased that you need to have a cellphone to use the RMAH' date=' that is bullshit. Sorry Blizzard but I don't have a phone and I don't want to buy your stupid authenticator either. Guess you don't get my money. They need more options for people without a phone. It's ridiculous that they just assume that everyone has one. (I realize that a lot do...but a lot of people do not either)

[/quote']

As for Inferno - it wasn't tested (as released) per their project manager. Their internal testers were fine with the difficulty, and what they did was simply "double it". I'm guessing double the health and damage of the mobs.

My only issue (and the reason I'm not playing at all right now) is the fact that the drops are terrible. Inferno Acts 1 and 2 don't drop level 60 items most of the time.

The general consensus is that, barring a bit of death zerging and exploiting or corpse running, the "proper" way to get through Inferno Acts 1 and 2 involves having drops from Acts 3 and 4...which makes no sense.

I farmed Inferno Act 1 (Butcher runs - killing him with 5 stacks of NV) and then cleared Act 2 last weekend - and those 8 days I got not a single drop that was an upgrade for my character (and not all my items are level 60 required - or ilevel 62's or 63's, which only drop in Acts 3 and 4).

At that point, this item game that didn't drop a single upgrade on my level 59ish gears in a week of farming (3-4 hours a day) was simply...not fun.

So I'm waiting to see what patch 1.03 does - which among other things is supposed to allow the possibilities of ilevel 62 and 63 items to drop in Acts 1 and 2 Inferno (like 2% chance in 1 and 4% in 2).

I have no plans to ever use the RMAH, as farming gold (or "farming money" by going to work) and then buying gear from an Auction House...simply isn't fun, and the longer I played the more convinced I became that the game, at some level, was designed to force you to use the AH (and Blizzard hopes you use the Money one so they get 15% of your purchase).

If 1.03 allows me to farm my own items and progress - that's the game I paid for. But right now the items that upgrade my character simply do not drop in Act 1 and 2, and while I can clear Act 2, it's much slower than Act 1, so Butcher runs are where I'm at. Act 3 is another pretty steep step up in trash mob damage dealing, but didn't seem as large a jump as going from Act 1 to 2.

• 3 weeks later...