Deciding on the Specs for my new gaming rig (help Q.Q)

Skagg

First of all what's up gais~

It's been a while since I was last on here lol. I've been on about a months hiatus due to some personal stuff and even before that I was gone for like the month prior to that... BUT ANYWAYS I'm back now and I'm looking to do a bit of upgrading but since pc's really arent my thing (I'm pretty dam new to them D:) I've decided to ask any of the pros here on LL that would be willing to help me out with deciding on a build. I've been looking around at a buncha different sites like Ibuypower and cyberpower and stuff like that and I've seen some pretty cool setups that I've been wanting to check out.

I particularly want something that will last me at least maybe like 6 months to a year without any significant upgrades and the 2 main reasons I want a good new rig are Skyrim and Tera (duhhhhh.lol) But yeah any help that you guys can provide would be much appreciate. I'll just ask stuff to anyone interested in helpin me out.

Oh and I suppose a price range would help. I plan on spending at maximum 1.3k (hopefully that's enough for a decent machine ._.;;) I'd done a little fiddling on a rig that caught my fancy over on ibuy.

here is the infos~

Case

NZXT Guardian 921 RB Gaming Case - Black w/ Red Light

Case Lighting

None

iBUYPOWER Labs - Noise Reduction

None

iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion

None

Processor

Intel® Core™ i7 3820 Processor (4x 3.60GHz/10MB L3 Cache) - Intel Core i7 3820

iBUYPOWER PowerDrive

None

Processor Cooling

Liquid CPU Cooling System [sOCKET-2011] - Standard 120mm Fan

Memory

8 GB [2 GB X4] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand

Video Card

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 - 2GB - Single Card

Video Card Brand

Major Brand Powered by AMD or NVIDIA

Motherboard

ASUS P9X79 -- 4x USB 3.0

Power Supply

700 Watt - Standard

Primary Hard Drive

1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive

Data Hard Drive

None

Optical Drive

24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black

2nd Optical Drive

None

Flash Media Reader / Writer

None

Meter Display

None

USB Expansion

None

Sound Card

3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard

Network Card

Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)

Operating System

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel) 64-Bit

Thanks for looking ^^;;

Well first thing you need to figure out is if you are willing to build your own or not. It is definitely worth the time to research and build your own as it is far more rewarding and cheaper. However if you do not want to go that route then you probably have the right idea. Try to stay away from Brand names like Alienware or Dell, they are good computers, but you are paying for the name mostly.

Personally I recommend Newegg.com.

Man i wish i had the time to build my own jerbs :/

I barely get the time to even play games when i get the chance DX

Ill def check out newegg though for their completed setups.

Skagg, one thing you can do to help control cost and make sure you don't get "stuck" with some lame parts that you don't want is buy a bare bones kit.

This route usually gets you the case, power supply, RAM, and CPU all assembled and tested. Then you just buy and slap in a hard drive (or two :) ), sound card, dvd/cd drive/recorder and vid card and you are ready to rock. Assembly on this way takes only minutes.

If researched you can really cut corners on cost this way.

Sometimes you can find a rig via Ibuy or NewEgg that is great but..... and just buy the "but" item separately and replace it. When they throw rigs on specials this can work well too.

Wish you the best of luck whichever way you go! :)

PS: I have used this site to do research in the past: http://www.pricewatch.com/

1.3k budget can get you a pc that can last for way more than just 6 months to a year.

Prebuild PC often shaft you at the video card, so it might actually be worth it to get one without a video card then buy one separately. Slotting in just a video card takes less than 10 minutes...including the time to open the box.

Skagg, quick building one off of a barebones kit from price watch here is what I came up with:

Intel Core I7 920 Lga1366 Barebone Kit

Item Code: DTGMSI7BAREBON1

Show Configuration Details

Intel LGA1366 Motherboards: MSI X58M LGA1366 INTEL CORE i7 ATX MB

Intel CORE i7 LGA1366 PROCESSORS: Intel Core i7 950 LGA 1366 3.06GHz CPU

CPU Processor Fan: RECOMMENDED UPGRADE - HEAVY DUTY COOLER

THERMAL COMPOUND KITS: Thermal Grease For CPU Cooling Fans 1Pak

DDR3 240-PIN Desktop Memory: 8GB DDR3 2x4GB 1333MHZ PC3-10600 MEMORY

Memory Cooling Solutions: Thermaltake V1R RAM Heat Sink Cooler 2pc

PCI EXPRESS VIDEO CARD ADAPTERS: Nvidia Geforce GTX 560 1GB Video Card

SOUND CARDS: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme 7.1

NETWORKING: ONBOARD ETHERNET CARD ADAPTER - (LAN)

WIRELESS NETWORKING: None Selected

Hard Drive: 1-TERABYTE 1000GB SERIAL ATA HARD DRIVE

ADDITIONAL STORAGE: None Selected

HARD DRIVE COOLERS: None Selected

DVD / DVD±R / DVD±RW Drives: DVD±RW BURNER DVD/R/RW READER / WRITER

DVD / DVD±R / DVD±RW Drives: None Selected

INTERNAL MODEMS:None Selected

FLOPPY / LS120 DRIVES:None Selected

TOWER CASES: RAIDMAX TORNADO ATX-238WU BLUE MIDTOWER

HOUSE BRAND: RECOMMENDED - 650WATT ATX POWER SUPPLY

CASE COOLING FAN: 2x Case Cooling Fan 80mm (Regular Speed)

OPERATING SYSTEM: MICROSOFT WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM 64BIT

PRODUCTIVITY SOFTWARE: Microsoft Office 2010 Home and Student

ANTIVIRUS: None Selected

UTILITIES: None Selected

Assembly & Testing Options: Standard Assembly & Test-Ships 2-5 Days

KEYBOARDS: None Selected

COMPUTER MOUSE: None Selected

SPEAKERS: None Selected

MONITORS: None Selected

GRAND TOTAL: $1,352.55

The direct website link is: http://www.ascendtech.us

You may be able to do better but this could be used for a template to compare to other sites.

Here is another link for a complete system: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1400112&Sku=C447-14001

or here: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=306251&Sku=I455-92602

You can also check NewEgg and other sites.

Others can can critique these systems and give you further feedback. :)

Personally, I'd stay as far away from Tiger Direct as you can and just stick with Newegg or Frye's. Too many people I've talked to have said that T.D. is a nightmare waiting to happen. But gregathit is right, building your own unit will save you money and give you a system customized to your own tastes, not the tastes of the company you buy one from. I've had my unit for 6 years, upgraded every so often and I've never had a major problem with it. You just need to take a little time, research the components you want and then get them from a cheap, reputable supplier and go.

Alrighty well thanks to all the helpful input and a friend whos pretty good with comps I have come up with a build. How does it look o.o?

1 x Case (CoolerMaster HAF 922 Gaming Case - Black))

1 x Processor (Intel® Core™ i7-3770K Processor (4x 3.50GHz/8MB L3 Cache) - Intel Core i7-3770K))

1 x Motherboard (Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H -- 1x PCI-E 3.0 x16, 4x USB 3.0))

1 x Memory (8 GB [2 GB X4] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand))

1 x Video Card (AMD Radeon HD 7850 - 2GB - Single Card))

1 x Case Lighting (None))1 x Power Supply (700 Watt - Standard))

1 x Processor Cooling (Liquid CPU Cooling System [sOCKET-1155] - Standard 120mm Fan))

1 x Video Card Brand (Major Brand Powered by AMD or NVIDIA))

1 x Primary Hard Drive (1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive**Free Upgrade to 2TB SATA 6.0Gb/s Single Drive**))

1 x Data Hard Drive (None))1 x 2nd Optical Drive (None))

1 x Optical Drive (24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black))

1 x Sound Card (3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard))

1 x Speaker System (iBUYPOWER 2.1 Channel Stereo Super Bass Subwoofer Speaker System))

1 x Network Card (Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)))1 x Monitor (None))

1 x Keyboard (iBUYPOWER USB Keyboard))1 x Mouse (iBUYPOWER Internet Mouse))

1 x Operating System (Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel) - 64-Bit))

1 x Warranty (3 Year Standard Warranty Service))

1 x Rush Service (Rush Service Fee (not shipping fee) - No Rush Service, Estimate Ship Out in 5~10 Business Days))

1 x Advanced Build Options (Professional wiring for all cables inside the system tower - Achieve exceptional airflow in your chassis))

1 x Advanced Build Options (Professional wiring for all cables inside the system tower - Basic Pro Wiring))

1 x Video Camera (None))

1 x Meter Display (None))

1 x Flash Media Reader / Writer (12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer - Black))

1 x 2nd Monitor (None)

)1 x iBUYPOWER Labs - Noise Reduction (None))

1 x iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion (None))

1 x iBUYPOWER PowerDrive (None))

1 x USB Expansion (None))1 x Intel Smart Response Technology (None))

1 x Case Engraving Service (None))

You don't need an i7. A high-end i5 is perfect for gaming. In fact' date=' hyperthreading on i7s can get in the way.

And where's your video card? That's the most expensive part.

[/quote']

o.o oh really? I did not know that Q.Q

And the video card is in there its a amd radeon HD 7850 2gb single card

Oh, I kept looking at "Video Card Brand". Yeah, that'll do. But you might as well go better if you can, especially after saving ~$100 by going down to an i5.

Also, get 2 4GB sticks. If you have 4 2GB sticks, you'll have to get rid of your existing ones if you ever want to upgrade.

EDIT:

RAM sticks. Probably should've been more clear about that.

I agree a good i5 will play any game there is out on the market without a hitch. I also agree with Chase that you really should spend any savings on your vid card as that is the 1st thing that will become "out of date" in any gaming rig. Buying the very best you can afford on it will help extend the time till you have to upgrade again.

With these adjustments you will have a fast and dependable rig!

Archived