HELP! HDT-based Followers Going Invisible.

C5Kev

I had this problem a while ago in save that went full potato. Script lag like crazy, and the disappearing follower problem. I was never able to fix it and ended up having to go back to an earlier save.

This isn't a "save" issue since it happens over a plethora of games. I believe it's an HDT issue. In a different thread that's somewhat related, i.e. HDT-based, there is a newer (I think Korean) follower and her description actually states that she can disappear and recommended / link to a mod called HDTAlphaFix . I just installed it, so I'm not sure if it solves the problems I've been experiencing.

I had this problem a while ago in save that went full potato. Script lag like crazy, and the disappearing follower problem. I was never able to fix it and ended up having to go back to an earlier save.

This isn't a "save" issue since it happens over a plethora of games. I believe it's an HDT issue. In a different thread that's somewhat related, i.e. HDT-based, there is a newer (I think Korean) follower and her description actually states that she can disappear and recommended / link to a mod called HDTAlphaFix . I just installed it, so I'm not sure if it solves the problems I've been experiencing.

I'm just saying it's possible your problem is caused by massive script lag, rather than HDT. Try doing something like getting a soul trap weapon and a soul gem, then go kill a spider and see if it takes longer than usual to fill the soul gem. (In my case, it could take minutes before the effect would play.)

I'm no techy so take my input with the required pinch of salt,  but in my practical experience  HDT suffers in tandem with fps. So if there's already something eating up performance, be it ENB or scripts, HDT will also start to choke. 

I've tried the latest ENB thread patch and I can't run any combination of those settings. I'm on an AMD chip (curse it) so I'm hoping Boris will perform further wonders so I can get in on the miraculous action. Until then, those of us hovering around the 35fps mark outdoors are going to see these issues manifest themselves though how much depends on how genuinely tortured your setup is. And the only way I've ever found to reduce them is to cut right back on the stuff I'm running.

After trying a myriad of patches, tweaks, "fixes", etc., I'm still convinced that (in my case) my follower's disappearing is due to HDT earrings. Why? How? Don't know and at this point, don't care. I had started a new game yesterday and have had no problems. So, I decided to gave earrings to my follower to see what happens. I turned around and she was gone. Took earrings off, she faded back in.  Oddly, the earrings don't affect my character, so I can live with that.

So that's that...   :)

Whew! This stuff is complicated - to me anyway.  I've attached my HDT log file. Note that I don't use my hdt.xml file (when trying to get collision to work initially, I discovered I never had an hdt.xml file, only hdtm.xml and found what I thought was a generic hdt.xml here on LL) because I don't want the collision to work. I have really nice boob bounce with my ...DefaultBBP.xml, but when enabling collision via the hdt.xml file, my boobs become like tightly wound springs and I don't like it.  The fact that I don't have the hdt.xml file enabled prolly is causing "something" to happen, but my character seems fine, so...  ??? 

hmm, i have an hdtm.xml but not a hdt.xml. i've had hdt since the beginning tho. but what is "hdt.xml" for and should i have it lol?

Whew! This stuff is complicated - to me anyway.  I've attached my HDT log file. Note that I don't use my hdt.xml file (when trying to get collision to work initially, I discovered I never had an hdt.xml file, only hdtm.xml and found what I thought was a generic hdt.xml here on LL) because I don't want the collision to work. I have really nice boob bounce with my ...DefaultBBP.xml, but when enabling collision via the hdt.xml file, my boobs become like tightly wound springs and I don't like it.  The fact that I don't have the hdt.xml file enabled prolly is causing "something" to happen, but my character seems fine, so...  ??? 

hmm, i have an hdtm.xml but not a hdt.xml. i've had hdt since the beginning tho. but what is "hdt.xml" for and should i have it lol?

You're asking the wrong guy dude!  :)  But the way I understand it, hdt.xml is for female, hdtm.xml is for males. Is that true? Hell, idk! I just read that someplace and afterward realized I didn't have the hdt.xml file like you. So I did find a copy of both that someone posted on LL and have been using them. As far as I know, it helped me get my collision working, which I don't like - collision looks cool, but it turns my nice boob bounce into like tightly wound springs vs a slow-ish to respond, big boob bounce.

So idk man. Hopefully an HDT guru can chime in here about this...  ???

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/73411/?

there's a good way to test this enb stops stretching theory...use that mod. she's got hdt hair and is the most stretchiest invisibili-est mod i've ever used lol. i would but i'm trying to get 303 to work at the moment

Thanks Mook, but I'll pass. I'd rather have HDT problems or my GPU melt than have to look at that mug!  It's a personal preference thing - I don't like followers that look like children or have bodies like 10 year old boys.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/73411/?

there's a good way to test this enb stops stretching theory...use that mod. she's got hdt hair and is the most stretchiest invisibili-est mod i've ever used lol. i would but i'm trying to get 303 to work at the moment

Thanks Mook, but I'll pass. I'd rather have HDT problems or my GPU melt than have to look at that mug!  It's a personal preference thing - I don't like followers that look like children or have bodies like 10 year old boys.

hah see i don't think she looks like a kid, unlike so many out there.

she reminds me of a girl i dated way back. she was 23

so anyone test this stretching theory in say Riften, which is the worst area i think?

• 1 month later...

Okay, been researching this for a bit, and found one possible fix (for some of us anyway).

Aranea Lenith, the mage at the base of the big statue of Azura, has been invisible for me for a while now.  Same goes for other female mages turning invisible/visible randomly.  I thought it was costume add-ons that were causing it, or some kind of mod conflict, but nope, tried all that and nothing helped.  Then I read this thread, and started experimenting.  Turns out I can fix her by simply deleting the following file from the SKSE Plugins folder (I use Tiwa44's Minidresses mod, which is excellent) :

hdtPhysicsExtensions Tiwa44 cloakClothF dot xml

I can live without the cloak physics if it means visible NPCs, for sure!  Hope this helps.

I've got an Intel/Nvidia Setup

i5-4690k OC'd to 4.6

SLI'd GTX 970 SC ASX 2

I'm running windows 10, which I think is one of the main problems. Microsoft seems intent of fucking gamers with their bullshit updates.

I don't know what the deal is. I was running .262 for Poupouri ENB Morning Star. Everything was running great. I updated to .303, and then the 16fps lock kicked in.

I had made a backup of all my files before updating, deleted the files and replaced them with the backups, and the fps went back to normal, but I started getting severe camera jitter indoors, and I'm running 60 fps indoors, no exceptions.

Sometimes I feel like I spend more time troubleshooting this game than anything else, and then I wonder why the fuck I bother.

I know this is an oldish issue, and you may have already figured it out, but your getting 16fps because you have the limiter ticked in your ini file. shift-enter to open it after ~ and looke toward the top left find the limiter with 16 below it and un-tick it. Then find what Hot Key is set to turn in on and change it to something you wont accidentally mash.

• 2 years later...

Archived