[Discussion] Fallout 4 Body Slots

Since now the first real outfits for Fallout 4 are starting to come out, we should also start talking about those body slots (or biped slots). There are some significant changes compared to Skyrim and previous Fallouts, e.g we now have a layered armor system. Generally the vanilla game uses slots in a more fine-grained way. Because of this we now have more possibilities already provided by vanilla games for standard clothing and armors. But this also means that we have fewer unused slots available for 'other' clothing, like e.g. underwear, jewelery, piercings, collars, ....

Let's first start with the current list of Fallout 4 body slots.
Comments represent my current level of knowledge, question marks represent things still unknown/uncertain (One goal or this thread is to advance knowledge. so post if you know anything).

Fallout 4 Body Slot List:

• 30 - Hair Top                   [Hair?]
  • 31 - Hair Long                 [Hair?]
  • 32 - FaceGen Head        [?]
  • 33 - Body                        [self-explanatory, Armors using this slot need to include a body mesh]
  • 34 - L Hand                     [self-explanatory, Armors using this slot need to include a hand mesh]
  • 35 - R Hand                    [self-explanatory, Armors using this slot need to include a hand mesh]
  • 36 - Torso                  [layered armor: under-armor]
  • 37 - L Arm                  [layered armor: under-armor]
  • 38 - R Arm                 [layered armor: under-armor]
  • 39 - L Leg                  [layered armor: under-armor]
  • 40 - R Leg                 [layered armor: under-armor]
  • 41 - [A] Torso                  [layered armor: armor chest]
  • 42 - [A] L Arm                  [layered armor: armor left arm]
  • 43 - [A] R Arm                 [layered armor: armor right arm]
  • 44 - [A] L Leg                  [layered armor: armor left leg]
  • 45 - [A] R Leg                 [layered armor: armor right leg]
  • 46 - Headband                [self-explanatory?]
  • 47 - Eyes                        [everything covering the eyes: goggles, glasses, ...]
  • 48 - Beard                      [beards? Haven't found a single one yet]
  • 49 - Mouth                      [everything covering the mouth]
  • 50 - Neck                        [everything covering the mouth]
  • 51 - Ring                        [so the wedding ring got its very own slot]
  • 52 - Scalp                       [?]
  • 53 - Decapitation            [?]
  • 54 - Unnamed
  • 55 - Unnamed
  • 56 - Unnamed
  • 57 - Unnamed
  • 58 - Unnamed
  • 59 - Shield                      [for Skyrim reenactment?]
  • 60 - Pipboy                     [the pipboy has also its very own slot]
  • 61 - FX                            [special effects]

It seems that we have 5 unused slots, and maybe 3-4 more we could repurpose. That's not much and definitely far too few to just have anyone use whatever slots he/she likes. That's why we should come up with an agreement on how we use these unused slots for our stuff. And we should also collect ideas on how we can mitigate the limited number of slots.

One idea is to use the new modding system to 'simulate' body slots. We could have an armor that uses a single slot, and provides a several modding slots for which other modder can write mods (that include their assets). An example of this is a piercing mod of mine. It includes a single armor that provides modding slots to individualy select different piercings for each nipple. I can easily add more slots for naval/labia/facial/... piercings, and other modders can easily create new piercings that integrate well with my mod. We could do the same for underwear, or any devious items. There is still a lot we need to learn about the modding system, but it seems to be pretty powerful and worth investigating further.

Talking about my mod reminds me that we should also document what slots are already in use by other mods.

Body Slots used by Mods:

(Could a mod please make it sticky)

Thanks for posting the list, No idea of the numbering but my thoughts:

Boots

Backpack

Weapon/Holster

Belt/Skirt/Chastity Belt/Vibrators

Clothing Chest ( for shirts, bikini tops etc, assuming Body is a garment always covering the lower body)

Layered Armor Pelvis

Layered UnderArmor Pelvis/Penis

I'd probably use the ring slot for any Jewelry, who wears the wedding ring anyway as it doesn't do anything yet and any mods wanting to know if its being worn can check for it by name.

Hang on, I think I'm misunderstanding this... does it mean the Vault Suit, for example, uses eight slots? 33-41 inclusive?

It seems that we have 5 unused slots, and maybe 3-4 more we could repurpose.

I suppose it depends on how important some of them are.

For example, I'm assuming that slot 30 is the hair and slot 31 is for the physics part of the hair (long hairs). So then slot 46 does not take over the hair slot, unlike helmets, and what is slot 52 for? Slot 60 seems to be sacrosanct, but are slots 59 and 61 even used for anything? What the hell is slot 32?

I'd guess it's all pretty similar to Skyrim, but I never did any development with any kind of body slots. I guess the Devious Devices people would be best to ask.

What is the deal with the slots 1-29?

54- Boots

55- Backpack/Wings/RocketPack

56- Weapon/Holster

57- Belt/Skirt/Chastity Belt/Vibrators

??- Clothing Chest ( for shirts, bikini tops etc, assuming Body is a garment always covering the lower body)

??- Layered Armor Pelvis/Butt Plug/Tail

??- Layered UnderArmor Pelvis/Penis

Boots

Backpack

Weapon/Holster

Clothing Chest ( for shirts, bikini tops etc, assuming Body is a garment always covering the lower body)

Layered Armor Pelvis

I'd probably use the ring slot for any Jewelry, who wears the wedding ring anyway as it doesn't do anything yet and any mods wanting to know if its being worn can check for it by name.

I always wear the ring.

54- Boots

55- Backpack

56- Weapon/Holster

??- Clothing Chest ( for shirts, bikini tops etc, assuming Body is a garment always covering the lower body)

??- Wings?

Clothing chest I think could use the torso slot

Backpack/wings and rocket package use the same slot

Belt/Skirt would be better use diffrerent slot with Chastity Belt/Vibrators

Oh shit not enough slots-  -and anyone knows the difference between those [A] & ?

54- Boots

56- Weapon/Holster

For boots I would recommend L Leg / R Leg. Bethesda seems to occasionally use those slots for footwear, and every vanilla outfit with these slots usually already include boots. Bethesda now regards footwear as part of an outfit instead as an separate item.

Do we really need a slot for holstered weapons.? I don't think that Skyrim had one.

I would use for underwear/swimwear, maybe also chastity belts, vibrators and other toys, a single body slot, and then provide modding slots for each body part. It's more flexible that way and we can save on those body slots. For this to work we would need an .esm file defining the modding slots (and also including ready-to-use armor records) that every mod author must use.

We should use as few slots as possible, and try to use mod slots instead.

Of course another thing to consider is the non-sex modding community will come up with their own slot ideas or just plain randomness and it will probably clash badly with ours :)

They probably will. We just have to be flexible.

54- Boots

56- Weapon/Holster

For boots I would recommend L Leg / R Leg. Bethesda seems to occasionally use those slots for footwear, and every vanilla outfit with these slots usually already include boots. Bethesda now regards footwear as part of an outfit instead as an separate item.

Do we really need a slot for holstered weapons.? I don't think that Skyrim had one.

I would use for underwear/swimwear, maybe also chastity belts, vibrators and other toys, a single body slot, and then provide modding slots for each body part. It's more flexible that way and we can save on those body slots. For this to work we would need an .esm file defining the modding slots (and also including ready-to-use armor records) that every mod author must use.

We should use as few slots as possible, and try to use mod slots instead.

Of course another thing to consider is the non-sex modding community will come up with their own slot ideas or just plain randomness and it will probably clash badly with ours :)

They probably will. We just have to be flexible.

One thing that I'm thinking is why not we use "outfit mods" instead of "outfit items" to arrange our clothes.

For example , we have an outfit called "light armor". You can change its apperence by moding it on the workbench. then we won't meet the problem that your favourte outfit has 2 point of endurance instead of 2 charm

Another question , is it possible for different slots to share same nif? maybe with some .bdsg help?

30 - Hair on top of head/most hats

31 - long hair/flight cap linings/under helmet/hat hoods

32 - FaceGenHead (used if your worried about the face clipping through a full face mask)

33 - Full outfits - Separate Pants/Shorts/Skirts

34 - Left Hand

35 - Right Hand

36 - Arm Add-on (Bracelets)

37 - Torso Layered Add-on (Jackets)

38 - Separate Tops (for vanilla outfits that need a second slot to show all armatures-Cage/Spike/ChildofAtom)

39 - Leg Add-on (Tights/Stockings/Vanilla outfits that need a third slot to show all armatures-ChildofAtom)

40 - Shoes/Boots

41 - Torso armor

42 - Left Arm armor

43 - Right Arm armor

44 - Left Leg armor

45 - Right Leg armor

46 - Masks that cover face/headbands/(hats/helmets/hoods meant to show all hair)

47 - Eyes (Glasses/Eyepatchs)

48 - Beard (surgical mask/lower face masks)

49 - Mouth (surgical mask/lower face masks)(toothpick/cigarette/joint/cigar/blunt/lip rings)

50 - Necklace/Scarfs

51 - Ring

54 - Backpacks/Satchels - Capes/Cloaks

55 - Belts(utility belts/gunbelts/sword belts)/ Gun on Hip

56 - Shoulder Harnesses/Bandoliers

57 - Plate Carrier/Cargo Pack Vests(front and back torso) - Capes/Cloaks(alternate backup slot)

58 - Body Jewelry (piercings)/ Gun on back

61 - Off-Hand Accessories (Sword Sheath/Decorative Gun/SOS if they need a Dong slot)

From the 3rd porpular mod on Nexus :http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2228/?

• 36 - Torso                  [layered armor: under-armor]
  • 37 - L Arm                  [layered armor: under-armor]
  • 38 - R Arm                 [layered armor: under-armor]
  • 39 - L Leg                  [layered armor: under-armor]
  • 40 - R Leg                 [layered armor: under-armor]

What does those under-armor slots actually does? I've seen some outfits using them but I dont understand how are different from normal armor [a] pieces?

What does those under-armor slots actually does? I've seen some outfits using them but I dont understand how are different from normal armor [a] pieces?

From what I've seen there are some outfits like dresses that allow you to add arm armor but not torso/leg armor.

By default a large amount of the vanilla armors list up the body armor slots making it so you can not wear said outfit/clothing/armor with add on armor.

Example - Courser armor by default takes up the regular 33,34, and 35 Plus the armor slots of 41, 42, 43, 44, and 45.

Example 2 - Hazmat by default takes up 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, and 49.

Example 3 - Sequin Dress by default takes up 33, 37, 38, 41, 44, and 45 (41 armor torso, 44 armor L Leg, 45 Armor R Leg). So you can wear L and R arm armor bits but not torso, or leg armor bits and in a Stripped Power Armor you get the Sequin Dress Bare Arms.

I think the U slots (36, 37, 38, 39, and 40) are for the Power Armor wearable/3rd person visible slots (can be worn while in a power armor and show in game in third person)....But I could be mistaken.

I know when I step into a stripped PA with anything that uses the 41 to 45 slot it is removed in third person.

But the Vault suit which has the U slots enabled (36 thru 40) is not stripped, same with the BOS Uniform and BOS Officers Uniform.

But any armor that has both UnderArmor and Armor slots used (IE hazmat 36 thru 45) gets removed and replaced with an item in your inventory has u slots (worst case you step out of the power armor in your birthday suit).

I like ArmorSmith Extended as it makes all basic clothing and armors use the 33, 34, and 35 slots (and only if they have gloves do they get 34 and 35). This free's up the rest of the body slots for more items like jewelry, and or piercings.

I'ld say gags could set in the same slot used for the bandana, and surgical mask.

Blindfolds could occupy the same slot as Patrolman shades, or wrap around googles.

Vibrators, chastity belts, underwear could take up the Torso Under Armor slot (use LE666's format to make modular restraints for this slot).

Arm and Leg Binders could probably be used in the other Under armor slots (that way they stay on the character even if they get into a PA).

That way you can wear armor upgrades, but not clothing that takes up the u slots and when you step out of a power armor your in your restraints.

Handcuff's and other gear... need an armor slot I guess (along with an animation set to call on).

Damn now I want to take the handcuffs meshes and apply 4 of them to the cbbe body (one on each wrist and ankle) and apply some hdt physic's to them (then stick that in the U slots) and wear it in game while running around in a harness get'n freaky with a baseball bat (maybe throw in a sack hood like I just got away from a bad S&M session).

Back on subject... shit I'm lost... okay that does it for me (for now anyway).

By default a large amount of the vanilla armors list up the body armor slots making it so you can not wear said outfit/clothing/armor with add on armor.

Example - Courser armor by default takes up the regular 33,34, and 35 Plus the armor slots of 41, 42, 43, 44, and 45.

Example 2 - Hazmat by default takes up 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, and 49.

Example 3 - Sequin Dress by default takes up 33, 37, 38, 41, 44, and 45 (41 armor torso, 44 armor L Leg, 45 Armor R Leg). So you can wear L and R arm armor bits but not torso, or leg armor bits and in a Stripped Power Armor you get the Sequin Dress Bare Arms.

I think the U slots (36, 37, 38, 39, and 40) are for the Power Armor wearable/3rd person visible slots (can be worn while in a power armor and show in game in third person)....But I could be mistaken.

I know when I step into a stripped PA with anything that uses the 41 to 45 slot it is removed in third person.

But the Vault suit which has the U slots enabled (36 thru 40) is not stripped, same with the BOS Uniform and BOS Officers Uniform.

But any armor that has both UnderArmor and Armor slots used (IE hazmat 36 thru 45) gets removed and replaced with an item in your inventory has u slots (worst case you step out of the power armor in your birthday suit).

I like ArmorSmith Extended as it makes all basic clothing and armors use the 33, 34, and 35 slots (and only if they have gloves do they get 34 and 35). This free's up the rest of the body slots for more items like jewelry, and or piercings.

I'ld say gags could set in the same slot used for the bandana, and surgical mask.

Blindfolds could occupy the same slot as Patrolman shades, or wrap around googles.

Vibrators, chastity belts, underwear could take up the Torso Under Armor slot (use LE666's format to make modular restraints for this slot).

Arm and Leg Binders could probably be used in the other Under armor slots (that way they stay on the character even if they get into a PA).

That way you can wear armor upgrades, but not clothing that takes up the u slots and when you step out of a power armor your in your restraints.

Handcuff's and other gear... need an armor slot I guess (along with an animation set to call on).

Damn now I want to take the handcuffs meshes and apply 4 of them to the cbbe body (one on each wrist and ankle) and apply some hdt physic's to them (then stick that in the U slots) and wear it in game while running around in a harness get'n freaky with a baseball bat (maybe throw in a sack hood like I just got away from a bad S&M session).

Back on subject... shit I'm lost... okay that does it for me (for now anyway).

Power armor- -

OK It's not important since geting into a PA means twisting your skeleton.

Maybe we'll need a PA with mankind skeleton?

Power armor- -

OK It's not important since geting into a PA means twisting your skeleton.

Maybe we'll need a PA with mankind skeleton?

Honestly one of the first mods I'll be installing or making when GECK comes out is one that strips all outer armor to enter power armor, I just can't see how you could wear that bulky stuff under power armor comfortably.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the newest revision of what we're using.

30 - Hair on top of head/most hats
31 - long hair/flight cap linings/under helmet/hat hoods
32 - FaceGenHead (used if your worried about the face clipping through a full face mask)
33 - Full outfits - Shoes/Boots
34 - Left Hand
35 - Right Hand
36 - Arm Add-on (Bracelets)
37 - Torso Layered Add-on (Jackets)
38 - Separate Tops (for vanilla outfits that need a second slot to show all armatures-Cage/Spike/ChildofAtom)
39 - Leg Add-on (Tights/Stockings/Vanilla outfits that need a third slot to show all armatures-ChildofAtom)
40 - Separate Pants/Shorts/Skirts
41 - Torso armor
42 - Left Arm armor
43 - Right Arm armor
44 - Left Leg armor
45 - Right Leg armor
46 - Masks that cover face/headbands/(hats/helmets/hoods meant to show all hair)
47 - Eyes (Glasses/Eyepatchs)
48 - Beard (surgical mask/lower face masks)
49 - Mouth (surgical mask/lower face masks)(toothpick/cigarette/joint/cigar/blunt/lip rings)
50 - Necklace/Scarfs
51 - Ring
54 - Backpacks/ Capes/ Cloaks
55 - Satchels/ Belts(utility belts/gunbelts/sword belts)/ Gun on Hip
56 - Shoulder Harnesses/Bandoliers
57 - Plate Carrier/Cargo Pack Vests(front and back torso) - Capes/Cloaks(alternate backup slot)
58 - Body Jewelry (piercings)/ Gun on back
61 - Off-Hand Accessories (Sword Sheath/Decorative Gun/SOS if they need a Dong slot)

We swapped boots and pants to add support for high heels.

Slots 32,52,53,59,&60 are all unusable.

Boots

Backpack

Weapon/Holster

Layered Armor Pelvis

Well there's actually this : http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2712/?

Nope that was all the slots, no 1-29 or 62+.

slot 32 is facegen, you use it for a form fitting face mask that you would worry about the face clipping through.  I removes the face part of the head mesh.

slot 52 is scalp and slot 53 is decapitation.  They're both used by the dismemberment system.

slot 59 is the grenade slot.

slot 60 is the pipboy slot.

Archived