LOOT, MO, and NMM not speaking to each other

deltarno

Got a small problem when it comes to loading mods.  New computer, new instillation, but this batch has not been kind.  When I try a load order in Loot, MO doesn't see it.  When I try to load mod orders in MO, it doesn't take.  (Also, running the game from MO forces the game into window mode for some reason.)  Loading up the steam launcher and using the Data Files in that has been the only way I can get the game to run, and it shows a different load order than the others.

I'm currently using the desktop launcher of SKSE to play, but I'd love to get this game in order.  If push comes to shove, I can load the order manually by looking back and forth between the steam and loot versions and manually adjusting, but I was hoping that this was a common problem and had a simple solution.

At least the Lab mods work, at the moment.  :P

MO has its Virtual File System. Settings are seperate in "...\ModOrganizer\profiles\".

Mods only load when Skyrim is started from MO.

Setting are seperate, start the Launcher from MO. The Puzzle-Dropdown Menu at the top has the INI editor if you need manual edits.

If you want to use LOOT, start from MO.

LL MO Thread and STEP Guide.

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/20492-mod-organizer/

http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Mod_Organizer

And why NMM as well? Dont use both.

Got a small problem when it comes to loading mods.  New computer, new instillation, but this batch has not been kind.  When I try a load order in Loot, MO doesn't see it.  When I try to load mod orders in MO, it doesn't take.  (Also, running the game from MO forces the game into window mode for some reason.)  Loading up the steam launcher and using the Data Files in that has been the only way I can get the game to run, and it shows a different load order than the others.

I'm currently using the desktop launcher of SKSE to play, but I'd love to get this game in order.  If push comes to shove, I can load the order manually by looking back and forth between the steam and loot versions and manually adjusting, but I was hoping that this was a common problem and had a simple solution.

At least the Lab mods work, at the moment.  :P

Don't put your mods into your skyrim/data folder. Install them through mod organizer. Get rid of NMM.

If MO is set up properly, you should have a no mods when you launch through steam.

LOOT, Skyrim, etc. should all be ran through mod organizer.

For what it's worth, as a noob to mods myself, I started with NMM and found it hard to make stuff work.  I was pleasantly surprised when I switched to MO.  There are other tools such as FNIS (which you will almost certainly need at some point) that can be invoked from within MO as well.

While you are at it, move Steam and MO out of your Program Files folder so they no longer ask to run elevated.  It will take you 10 minutes and you will never regret it.  I have a C:/Games/Steam and C:/Games/Mod Organizer folders, but you can put it anywhere you want.

Thanks for all the advice!  Going to try this out, fingers crossed.

Oh, and I still use(d) NMM due to not quite figuring out how MO installed mods.  Guess I should learn, though.

@senopeso That sounds like a good idea, but I run on windows 8, which has a hate/hate relationship with logic, so if skyrim isn't in /programs, it refuses to work with it.  Like, at all, I couldn't run any mods at first until I figured it out.

Guest endgameaddiction

You can learn it's features through Gophers Mod Organizer videos. Just google it and you should find it. Start from the first video. You'll come to realize it's not really that complex at it seems.

Well, on the plus side, going pure MO has sorted out most of the problems.  Still some crashes, of course, but this is Skyrim, so I assume it's a modding issue.

On the downside, it's running in some strange windowed mode, with pale bars around the edges of the screen.  My settings are all for full screen, and it runs normally if I SKSE by itself, and MO ignores my changing from full to windowed and back in the settings, so I assume it's a MO thing.  Anyone know how to fix this?  (And no, f4, shift and enter and all the usual work around do not work with this problem.)

Archived