Creatures Framework API reference not found

I had this same issue, The way I fixed it for me was extremely simple. I put more nasty critters plugin to load last after other plugins included in this mod. You have to read his description page, he has more nasy criiters loaded first before other plugins, but if you read a little further he contradicts that and says to put it last. I did that loaded my game and had no error popup. When you load your game you might have to wait, be patient, it took about 10 mins before I got the message Sexlab Creature Animations installed. I have waited 20 plus minutes for Skyrim to reconize new mcm menus, long enough to forget that I had installed a new mod. Checked SexLab and all the animations were there. Do they work I don't know haven't tried yet.  

It only took me like, 30 seconds? How many script mods do you have installed?

Also I have it at the end of the load order the same as you, and have the creature framework missing problem. Though, the animations DO seem to work, but you can't view the menu at all, which could be a problem if you need to swap anything out or adjust settings.

I do have a lot of scripted mods, its doesn't always take long to register new mods, it just has at times. Anyways my problem came back, because I uninstalled some mods and installed others. Every single time I installed a new mod I got the error. I would fix the load order and it's gone. One of the mods I installed had an esm file and I just now realized it was loading after creatureframework.esm, of course I got the error. So I had to put creatureframework as the last esm to load and problem is gone again. Go figure.

• 1 month later...

Hmm. I am new to this sexlab mod stuff. But I figured out quite a bit when I stayed up for 14 hours, reading the scripts and trying to find ways to make them work. The creature framework appears in the file, but says it is not installed.

I laughed when I noticed this.

I even waited for a few hours to see if it'd show up, and it did, though the next launch caused the framework to have an error, disabling the animations and what not. I am still trying to figure out how to make this all work, as I have Defeat, Sexlab original, companion extender, prostitution, and among other things. Some of these mods conflicted with each other, so I had to use a UNP body instead of the CBBE I usually used. Fixed many of the T post poses and generated animations of realism to bodies of races. My guess is that the Framework of creatures may need a 'Skeleton' for them.

Perhaps one has thought of this?

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem with the sentence "CreatureFramework API reference not found...".

My mistake was that I had only downloaded and installed the " SexLabFramework-v160-hotfix2-full" and totally missed that I also had to download "SexLab_CreatureAnimations_v160.zip" which is availible at the same download page as the other file (I thought it was included in the SexLabFramework file, but apparently it isn't).

After installing this second file, I went through the following steps:
1) Entered the SexLab MCM menu in the game and chose the option "Clean" to reset the SexLab installation. Exit the MCM menu and wait a bit for it to finish. A window will appear telling you it has finished installation. Click OK. Now saved the game and exit.
2) Update the FNIS Behavior.
3) Enter the game again and load the newly saved game. Enter SexLab MCM menu and activate "Allow creature animations" under the animations tab. Resave the game and exit.
4) Update FNIS Behavior agan. Load, Save and reload the game.

Have no idea if all the above steps are necessary (probably not), but this is how I did when to finally get rid of the error.

Now when it's working I have the following plugins in my load order (I have sorted my load order using LOOT):
1) CreatureFramework.esm (this has been placed pretty high in my load order)
2) SexLab.esm (placed a bit further down)

The quite a long way down in my load order (I have many mods installed).. the following 3 plugins appear:
3) SexLabNudeCreatures.esp
4) SexLabNudeCreaturesDB.esp
5) SexLabNudeCreaturesDG.esp

Hope the above information at least helps someone.

Same issue. Turned out to be mod incompatibility with FNIS_PCEA2 after disabling that it works fine.

Problem persists. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. I find toggling the mod active/inactive in wrye bash sometimes fixes it. But it often just doesn't work.

Same problem. I installed a bunch of stuff, all the newest versions. All the animations work perfectly, Creature Framework is there, I save and exit. I try to reload the game today after changing nothing at all and it reloads but gives the API error for some reason. I run Loot thinking maybe the order needs to be revised, then try and load the save and it crashes. So I'm uninstalling everything. Between this API error and True wolves of Skyrim not giving the correct colors even if I manually rename files I'm getting incredibly frustrated with trying to mod this. :\

Still working on trying to get this right myself. The first step I did to get CF to even load and register the MCM was to load the latest CF first. Then I installed  MNC after CF, not allowing MNC to override the newer version of CF. After MNC was installed, I unchecked all the ESP's associated with MNC. In-game, CF loaded and the MCM menu registered (for the first time!) even without the dreaded API warning. I made a save, exited, then checked\activated the ESP's for MNC in my load order. In-game MNC loaded and registered and that is as far as I've gotten. It's a bit convoluted but it seemed to work so far.

Probably easier to just load CF first, go in-game, let it register, save, then repeat the process for MNC not allowing it to override CF if you have installed the newer version of CF.

Still working on trying to get this right myself. The first step I did to get CF to even load and register the MCM was to load the latest CF first. Then I installed  MNC after CF, not allowing MNC to override the newer version of CF. After MNC was installed, I unchecked all the ESP's associated with MNC. In-game, CF loaded and the MCM menu registered (for the first time!) even without the dreaded API warning. I made a save, exited, then checked\activated the ESP's for MNC in my load order. In-game MNC loaded and registered and that is as far as I've gotten. It's a bit convoluted but it seemed to work so far.

Probably easier to just load CF first, go in-game, let it register, save, then repeat the process for MNC not allowing it to override CF if you have installed the newer version of CF.

Now I'm not that savvy at modding but would installing MNC first then installing new CF and allowing it to overwrite not accomplish the same thing?

Now I'm not that savvy at modding but would installing MNC first then installing new CF and allowing it to overwrite not accomplish the same thing?

I tried it that way but for me, having MNC installed and activated, CF wouldn't register it's MCM menu so I deactivated the ESP's from MNC and CF registered.  After experimenting and later reading through countless forum posts, I found that I also needed to: go into 3rd-person view,  go into the SL MCM and 'Reset Animation Registry' then go into the CF MCM, 'general' tab, and 'Re-register all Mods' (I may have gotten those last two steps reversed. It was late). After that I was able to get creature animations with 'goodies' for the first time!

Note: During this process I installed 'Sexlab Aroused Redux' (the successor to 'Sexlab Aroused')  and just deactivated it's ESM file in my load order so I could have the assets (read on CF page that this sometimes helps).

The long and short is that I did get it working yet with some crashes on load, and when I try to do too many things in-game too fast. It's likely script lag, my system starting to show it's age, and adjustments I made between saves.

EDIT: Today it's running a little smoother. Not too many crashes. Will just have to baby it for a while, while I tweak it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. Let's just call it like it is - it's a bug in CF that they haven't locked down yet. Enough people have tried EVERYTHING else possible, so nothing else is left. Just give them time to work it out.

I had the same problem. SexLab Aroused seems to be a hard dependance for CF. So if you don't want to use SLA... leave it unchecked.

Kathlen, thanks for this suggestion. This was driving me crazy. Your solution worked for me. I just needed to install SLA. No need to activate the esm.

i have just gotten it to work on my end. what i figured out was that i had downloaded an outdated version of mnc. if you go to the MNC  it says this:

"NEW: From now on newest version will ONLY be available from Mega (Go to DOWNLOAD and choose one of the Links at the Top)" on the top.  once i had downloaded the new version from the download link that looked like this " #!1FUkDCJa!ZkUcKlCS3teM32z4lcivHpsITp84dXGroMY4kQvyfnQ"

everything started working! (penises appeared on almost everything)

First: 

uninstall all your previous MNC (more nasty creatures) versions. 

make sure you have the absolute LATEST version FNIS (Fores new Idles in Skyrim) as well as the creature pack

also, make sure you have the latest version of sexlab framework downloaded.

Installing order:

first, install FNIS Behavior

then, install FNIS Creature Pack

install SexLabFramework

install MoreNastyCreatures

(after this, you can install other less important mods)

ALSO IMPORTANT:

Once you are finished installing all the mods you want,

be sure to Generate FNIS fo Users!!!

this can be done by going to your steam folder and following this path:

Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\Data\tools

near the bottom, there will be an .exe called "GenerateFNISforeUsers.exe"

run that. In the middle, there should be a large yellow button that says "Update FNIS Behavior"

click that.

if all was done right, your game should now be ready to play.

You're welcome!

ps. it helps to have "SexLab Match Maker" so you can easily test out the animations.

• 2 weeks later...

For those having the creatureframework api not found issue: The problem is that creatureframework requires PapyrusUtil which DOES NOT come with More Nasty Critters (IT SHOULD!). If you did not had PapyrusUtil and simply installed Creature Framework through MNC than you now what to do now.

Man this should really be in the opening post, Creature framework DOES require that and it's the only thing not included here in this mod.

Thanks for this man, it solved the missing API problem for me!

Edit: Okay now it isn't working again, same error even though that fixed it until next re-start. Like what is going on here?

Yeah i use papyrusutil v 3.2 and this problem persists with me so this isn't the solution sadly :(.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I had the same problem.. Installing Sex Lab Aroused didn't help...

I had to uninstall Nasty Critters because Skyrim was impossible to play. I couldn't save the game anymore, because loading every newly creates Save resulted in CTD. Is there still no fix for this problem? Weird that only a few users are having this issue..

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I had the same problem that Skyrim coulden't find creature framework API, and loading any savegames would crash, I could start 1 game fine though with a fresh install. but as others after I installed Sexlabarousedredux it worked for me to.

http://www.loverslab.com/files/file/1421-sexlab-aroused-redux-8-august-2016/  with MO (Mod Organizer)

also from nasty critters i downloaded the top megadownload file MoreNastyCritters9_3_fomod
and installed it with MO, unclicking creature framework, and Jcontainers newer versions here

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/41270-creature-framework-110-preview-2-updated-2016-6-3/
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/49743/?
installed both with Mod organizer to also I installed Sexlab Framework with MO instead off coping it into the skyrim data folder

last check load order

Morenastycritters.esp
SexlabNudecreatures.esp
SexlabNudecreaturesDG.esp
SexlabNudecreaturesDB.esp

HentaiCreatures.esp   

DG needs to come before DB, im pretty sure the first 4 needs to be right next to each other but, hentaicreatures can go anywhere after
Not sure if that helps but whatever works, last Alternative Start for me was also messing with Creature framework

Not sure if this topic should be in this forum. I aplogize in advance.

Regardless, I've been having trouble with some SexLab mods I've been using. I recently installed SexLab and Defeat and they were working fine. Then I tried installing the creatures framework, along with More Nasty Critters and their prerequisites. The game will work for a time, animations will play, everything goes smoothly. However, the game will most certainly crash at some point, even if I avoid animations all together. Obviously these mods are typically unstable and should be treated as such, but, two new things occur in my games. One is that certain saves will never load. They will be stuck infinitely within the loading screen. Second is that, when a game does load, it often brings up an error message that says "Creature Framework API reference not found. Make a clean save and try again". The animations will still work splendidly, but creatures will not become erect. Activating FNIS for users will sometimes help the API problem, if that helps.

Can anyone help with these three issues?

the author of nude creatures had the solution formulated a year ago, ironically enough 2 days before the OP created this thread. lol:

As for the CF API error... which version of the mod do you use? fomod or normal one? Also do you run MO or not?

In my case: Tried it with fomod (both from ll and mega (hag thingy)) and normal (from ll) and is using MO. Also tried installing CF (RC12) and jcontainers (3.4) separately (both tried having them overwrite mnc and not including them in the mnc install (only with fomod versions)).

This is with sl 1.6 hotfix 2 and using both a "cleanish" (uninstalled mnc, cf, jcontainers and used save cleaners) save and just upgrading from 8.33 to 9.0. Still haven't tried it on a fresh game (like new game with just sl, mnc and their dependencies). Only permanent way to get rid of the API-thing for me so far has been to use aroused.

I'm using MNC 8.5  normal  and I run MO ( but sometimes use NMM when MO doesn't work ( rarely) .

I haven't tried installing RC12 since i saw the problem still persists even with it

but when i first installed MNC 8.5 without RC  it had that API problem and I thought ihad to install the RC framework as well so i separately installed RC 11 then but still came with the same error :P

I am still using SL 1.59 because I am afraid of big changes :P

I am by no means gonna  try a new game because I don't wanna start another char :(  and I'm pretty sure the game will crash when I start a new game due to integrated mods

That was a clean save/character made specifically for this issue though.

Made a new, clean save/character again. On first game restart and save load I got the API error pop-up.

MNC 9.0 with Hag, and SexLab 1.60 hotfix 2. Made sure everything was functional, registered and re-registered before saving.

Load order:

Skyrim.esm

Update.esm

Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp

Dawnguard.esm

Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp

HearthFires.esm

Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp

Dragonborn.esm

Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp

CreatureFramework.esm

SexLab.esm

HighResTexturePack01.esp

HighResTexturePack02.esp

HighResTexturePack03.esp

Unofficial High Resolution Patch.esp

SkyUI.esp

MoreNastyCritters.esp

SexLabNudeCreatures.esp

SexLabNudeCreaturesDG.esp

SexLabNudeCreaturesDB.esp

HentaiCreatures.esp

Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp

If I'm stubborn enough, playing russian roulette with the error is an option, as I can reload the same save until CF is functional again.

I cannot reload the save if this happens neither can i make a new save game

i always have to close the game and then reload and MAYBE it might not appear and i can play normally

but it happens often :/ 3/5 times

also if i manage to save the game via console when the API error appears that new save game becomes corrupt when i try to load it

( so i just delete it afterwards and here we go again :/ )

I dunno what to do :/ and to be honest this .. is my main character , everything was goin' well so far while i was on MNC 8.33

The only two problems i have now are the API one and the animal mansion dialogue glitch "Oh my god, look at that... that's incredible" .

I currently have an issue involving Creature Framework. After installing it, running FNIS, modifying my load order to match this one, I get an error message when I load my game stating "Creature API reference missing." (Either that, or something very similar to that), and I believe this prevents the erections from happening on the creatures. Any suggestions on how to fix it? (I'm tried reinstalling Creature Framework several times already.)

I am running out of ideas to solve the problem. Every log related to that problem I have seen so far contains lines with "Unable to link types associated with ..." and "... the object is flagged as invalid" mentioning CF scripts. Judging from these messages it sounds like a linker problem, but since I didn't develop the Papyrus VM and have no access to its source code, I don't know the exact context which causes these lines to be emitted. That I am not able to reproduce the problem on my system does not help either.

I hoped that the problem is caused by leftovers from older versions and can be solved by doing a clean save, but apparently it is also occuring with new games. The last thing which comes to my mind is that user stepanBo said something about a script limit he thinks he has encountered. Maybe his and your problems are somehow related. @MannySauce: Did you enable all your mods when starting a new game? If yes, could you try again with a minimal selection of mods?

When someone else may have some ideas what is causing these problems, please tell me.

Well i had the same problem with the API thing, seemed randomly. I installed aroused redux and the save game started without error message. Maybe it is a requirement now. Have to see how it works on my next load

So.. We got three people able to solve the API issue by Installing aroused so far. Anyone who installed the damn thing with no effect on the "API missing"?

Well i had the same problem with the API thing, seemed randomly. I installed aroused redux and the save game started without error message. Maybe it is a requirement now. Have to see how it works on my next load

well I USED to have SL aroused ( not redux) in my modlist ... but that was a loooooooooooong time ago and it didnt pose a problem till now..

I don't really like it because my save is already kinda script heavy and this mod might pretty much go overweight if I install it as well

btw guys I will link the papyrus log I get the next time because I had forgotten to enable papyrus logging till now XD

so I didnt have one :P

@lordescobar666 ty bro for requoting my post , I thought ppl went past our problems for a bit and got worried it won't be solved and that we're just a minority :/

I do not like having it installed either, but since it seems like it's either MNC 8.33 and no aroused or MNC 9 and aroused atm (for my install at least): it's a matter of preference and what you got saved on your harddrive (i use redux with pc set to perma -2 arousal in a possibly futile attempt to minimize script impact).

Edit: quoting got funky.

i have over 150 mods installed some script heavy like wet and cold ,campfires, bathing in Skyrim, And sexlab and I run sl aroused redux with no problems, I have some script lag but that is due to the age of the cpu of my computer and I get 20 to 50 fps it depends on if there are a lot of npcs or not on if I have 20 fps or 50 fps

I investigated the "API reference" problem further and can now reproce it: I created a new minimal profile with USKP + skyUI + RaceMenu + Alternate Start + SexLab with Creature Pack + MNC, and got the "API reference not found" message every time i start a new game. The strange thing is that installing any mod (Aroused, ZAZ, Falskaar or SexLabUtils where the ones I tested) on top of that minimal profile caused the problem to go away, at least for a while. I need to restart the game a lot to get the error message again (restarting MO seems to increase the change of getting the error again. Can anyone confirm this?). The more scripts I have installed the more seldom it seems to occurs.

My best guess from the evidence so far is that the problem is caused by a rare race-condition when the Papyrus VM builds the type table. CF references the class slautilscr from SexLab Aroused, and when this type is missing, the types defined by CF seem be not correctly created sometimes for some still unknown reason. The higher the number of other types the more seldom the race-condition is triggered.

To solve the problem we need to avoid that race-condition, but how to we do it? There seem to be two possible solutions according to my observations: (1) install a lot of script-heavy mods :D, or (2) install SexLab Aroused (Redux). Actually you only need the script folder of SexLab Aroused. So if you don't want to play with SexLab Aroused, just disable the SexLabAroused.esm and you are good to go.

The author of MNC talked about it a week later:

Aroused is not and never was a requirement. CF currently has a bug where a racing condition with checking the presence of Aroused MAY cause these issues.

Also you dont have to activate Aroused, only install it.

All other things required to run MNC are included except the prerequisites which still are SL 1.57+ (and ITS requirements) and FNIS Creatures.