Light Setup for Body Normals Map [3DS Max]

View File

Description:

Simple but useful light setup to render body normalmaps for skyrim.

Can used for all body parts with a "world coordinate" normal map file. (non flat normalmap)

• Hands
  • Head
  • Body
  • SoS Schlongs

Usage:

Just open the file and import your model, put a plain white material on it and use "render to texture" to export the "lightmap". (sample body is in the file)

@EvilReFlex

Have you tried this with armor or clothing meshes?  I HATE baking normals.

This will not work with armors because they uses a flat normalmap. 

(it will work with flat surfaces like wall textures but it will need a other light setup. )

Okay, two more questions and then I'll stop bothering you.

(1) Will this work with creatures like draugr and falmer?  Looking at the meshes themselves, they do not have hair or other parts.  Delete the NiNodes for armor and they are naked.

(2) Do you think this will work with other Bethsda games like Oblivion or Fallout?

Okay, two more questions and then I'll stop bothering you.

(1) Will this work with creatures like draugr and falmer?  Looking at the meshes themselves, they do not have hair or other parts.  Delete the NiNodes for armor and they are naked.

(2) Do you think this will work with other Bethsda games like Oblivion or Fallout?

Fallout didn't use "Model Space Normal Maps" (femalebody_1_msn.dds). It uses "Tangent Space Normal Maps" (_n.dds).

I never had Oblivion installed, but I suppose it also uses tangent space.

If I understood correctly, this tool is for specifically baking the model space maps, which are only used in Skyrim and only for things such as bodies and heads. Basically, model space maps define from where and how the light shines on the model, while tangent space maps only define how.

Bethesda used this to create a smoother shading for bodies and heads that would otherwise not have been possible with tangent space maps (because of the rather dated shading and shadow techniques they're using). For Fallout 4 they upgraded all this, so maybe we will get tangent space maps again.

http://www.3dkingdoms.com/tutorial.htm#space

(Object Space = Model Space)

I never tried using msn's for FO but I will.  Pain in the ass to make but it's worth a shot.

I don't think Fallout 3/NV have a shader for the model space maps, at least there's no setting in NifSkope for it. It should have come with Skyrim, but I could be wrong.

• 5 weeks later...