Cult Classics

morgananinuala

A thread for discussion of cult classics, games most gamers have never heard of, etc.

Me, I grew up with Loom. The Lucasarts game with the Tchaicovsky soundtrack and the faceless protagonist, no combat system, and  randomly assigned fill in the notes magic system. And it was GLORIOUS! The story, the FEELIES (I love the Book of Patterns, was heartbroken when my copy was lost when I went to college), everything!

Anyone else? Luminar and I were talking Summoner recently, there must be others.

Gearhead Garage, 'nuff said!

It was the car mechanic simulator before car mechanic simulator, you could rebuild a car from the ground up and either store it in a collection in your parking lot, or you could sent it to auction to earn money. It was a fun game, but the vanilla game got old in a hurry. It really was the modding community that made the game thrive, modders bringing out 3rd party cars that were far superior to the vanilla models. Cars like Dodge Chargers, Chevelles, Camaros and the like, just about anything really; I remember seeing a semi and various other vehicles, including motorcycles.

I personally still have a digital copy of the game, but can't play it because of windows not wanting to be backwards compatible before the early 2000's. The game is so old it needed a patch to run on XP... I really wish I could play it again.

My favorites of about 30 years ago (in random order):

* Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders (Lucasfilm games) - Commodore 64

* Maniac Mansion (Lucasfilm games) - Commodore 64

* The Secret of Monkey Islan (Lucasarts) - Commodore 64 and then Amiga

* Dungeon Master (FTL) - Commodore 64

* Chaos Strike Back (FTL) - Commodore 64

* The Last Ninja  (System 3) - Commodore 64

* Shadow of the Beast (Reflections) - Amiga - Special mention for the amazing music made by David Whittaker

* Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge (Magnetic Fields) - Commodore 64

* Dungeon Siege [and all the sequels] (Gas Powered Games) - PC ==> This game made me go to play Skyrim a few years later...

the creepy old lady, the telescope, and the tentacle monster. Damn that brings back memories and makes me feel fucking old. fuck you for reminding me of my age. To get back on track how the hell did you not list zork?  anyway Fear Effect newer then c64 titles but a cult classic to the core

the creepy old lady, the telescope, and the tentacle monster. Damn that brings back memories and makes me feel fucking old. fuck you for reminding me of my age. To get back on track how the hell did you not list zork?  anyway Fear Effect newer then c64 titles but a cult classic to the core

I never played Zork.

I was playing these games when I was a child, and Zork was English only. I was not speaking English enough at this point in time.

Another game were I spent months of playing with friend was called Emlyn Hughes International Soccer. Probably one of the best soccer games ever made for C64.

BTW: I am old too, but my heart is still the one of a child.

It was the car mechanic simulator before car mechanic simulator, you could rebuild a car from the ground up and either store it in a collection in your parking lot, or you could sent it to auction to earn money. It was a fun game, but the vanilla game got old in a hurry. It really was the modding community that made the game thrive, modders bringing out 3rd party cars that were far superior to the vanilla models. Cars like Dodge Chargers, Chevelles, Camaros and the like, just about anything really; I remember seeing a semi and various other vehicles, including motorcycles.

I personally still have a digital copy of the game, but can't play it because of windows not wanting to be backwards compatible before the early 2000's. The game is so old it needed a patch to run on XP... I really wish I could play it again.

Use DOSBox, with this PC on PC emulator probably you can play it.

I never played Zork.

I was playing these games when I was a child, and Zork was English only. I was not speaking English enough at this point in time.

Another game were I spent months of playing with friend was called Emlyn Hughes International Soccer. Probably one of the best soccer games ever made for C64.

BTW: I am old too, but my heart is still the one of a child.

Use DOSBox, with this PC on PC emulator probably you can play it.

I already have Dosbox, but in order to run Gearhead Garage I need Windows 95, 98 or XP to run in Dosbox.

ZXspectrum 1982 8bit was my first from Clive Sinclair dunno if i played games on that i think it was simple pong or programming forgot why i bought it and do with it hehe.

Played teh commodore 64 also can't remember almost any game i know some skiing games winter games summer games some race i think beat em ups.

I know i changes floppy disks with my sisters husband and try beat his records(no internet that was kind pre internet playing agains each other :P

Also remember those joysticks which i never liked.

Even played commodore vic20.

Coleco vision with Qbert donkey kong MR do pacman.

Know i played many games also adventure games but forget all there names.

Many classics.

But most classic i played on my PC online is chess in 1993 on dial up 20min sometimes for move so much lag  hehe:)

I already have Dosbox, but in order to run Gearhead Garage I need Windows 95, 98 or XP to run in Dosbox.

Ok, second option (in many cases works):

Install Oracle VirtualBox (it is completely free), and create a small virtual machine with Windows 95 inside. Of course you need to have Windows 95 somewhere.

Enable the 3D graphics in the VM, and then try to install and play the game in the VM.

Often it works pretty well, because the 3D card required is pretty basic.

* Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders (Lucasfilm games) - Commodore 64

* The Secret of Monkey Islan (Lucasarts) - Commodore 64 and then Amiga

* Dungeon Master (FTL) - Commodore 64

* Chaos Strike Back (FTL) - Commodore 64

* The Last Ninja  (System 3) - Commodore 64

* Shadow of the Beast (Reflections) - Amiga - Special mention for the amazing music made by David Whittaker

* Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge (Magnetic Fields) - Commodore 64

* Dungeon Siege [and all the sequels] (Gas Powered Games) - PC ==> This game made me go to play Skyrim a few years later...

Even Dungeon Siege 3? and the expansion?

Tell me how does someone who started from the beginning feel about the changes in that game?

Even Dungeon Siege 3? and the expansion?

Tell me how does someone who started from the beginning feel about the changes in that game?

Yep, all of them. 4 games in total + the expansion for the last one.

From the first to the last there was a huge difference, that's normal.

But more or less always the save ambient.

The last two were my favorites.

(But in Legends of Aranna there was a place in the woods, a small island with a cemetery were zombies at similia were going out, it was amazing.)

• 2 weeks later...

Cyber Knight 1 and 2 for the Super Famicom. Glorious space opera RPGs where you got into random battles using mecha, and you could get parts from fallen foes to turn into upgrades for your machines, from a new lens to make lasers do more damage, compounds to make flamethrowers do more damage, alloys to increase mecha HP and even create whole new weapons. Plus in CK2, characters not in the active party, if you weren't in caves or underground, would start every random battle providing support fire; they could, in essence, wipe out an enemy party before you even needed to even start the battle, and you still got all the rewards!

The Jagged Alliance series. 

This franchise was so under loved it's downright criminal. Despite the praise it got pretty much all around critically, it just never seemed to hit the level popularity that other RPG's...shit, that other tactical RPG's....achieved. All that despite that the series, especially JA2, executed both RPG and tactical combat just so damned GOOD. 

Archived