Hello,

Back again a little over a year later from this post

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/28582-oblivion-tesedit-wyrebash-ck-version-advised/?p=714647

Eventually I will get a successful Oblivion installed and modded. I have been trying to get it up and running with Mod organizer but decided to go "old school" with this and use WyreBash/Obmm. There will be a learning curve but I believe I have the correct files at least to start with to set up my environment before modding. The versions are in the link above.

I would have responded in that thread but it was locked and archived. :(.. However will use most of the info from that thread to set up my enviroment unless some of the experts here have new and updated suggestions.

Oblivion is by far the hardest for me to set up properly.. All help much appreciated.

Trying to set up the devices to observe our Nirn ? :P

If you have whatever version of obmm and wrye v295 then you're pretty much good to go as far as installing things goes.

Install obse v21 and grab some plugins, first off pluggy 132, elys universal silent voice, these two should get many of the popular mods out there running. Perhaps menuque, blockhead, av uncapper and oblivion stutter remover too. These are quite popular. Note that some obse plugins are worth installing even if none of your mods requires it. If you want to be a helpful bug reporter, having conscribe often helps you and the author.

But you're modder and probably need some anal probesmodding tools. Get the latest versions of tes4edit, tes4file, tes4gecko (named after some weird kind of lizard from other planet) and tes4lodgen and you're almost set. Plus, since you might want to clean mods yourself, perhaps grab python 3.2 and pyffi-py3k-2.2.2 too. I don't think I'm using many more than this myself.

As to CS extender, I think I'm using 6.1 or 6.2 build but many people seem to prefer 5.x build as 6.x has some occasional hiccups in the UI part.

Later on you may want to add in the stand-alone version of WB; Wrye Bash 304.3 - Standalone Executable. You would install wrye v295 the usual way, get it configured and then export and save your settings while in v295. (It saves it directly to 7z archive file if I remember right.)

Then you can just extract Wrye Bash 304.3 - Standalone Executable to a Oblivion Tools or similar folder. You need that version mainly for face imports as it doesn't work in v295. When using Wrye Bash 304.3, it asks if you want to backup your settings select no or cancel, as those created and saved by 304.3 are not compatible with v295 so it's wasted effort.

I prefer to have OBMM be the LO controlling tool instead of WB, but just make sure you don't have them both controlling it or you'll drive yourself nuts.  :P

I also prefer CS/E ver. 5.x vs 6x due to what movomo mentioned above. If and when you get really deep into modding, those un-resizable windows in 6.x begin to become a real pain in the arse.

Make sure to get TES4Edit up and running ASAP as you'll want to clean quite a few ESPs, even the DLC stuff if you have it. Later for any MODs you create. After cleaning any DLCs make a backup archive with Oblivion and them and store it somewhere, in case you ever need to do a complete re-install. It'll save time.

Trying to set up the devices to observe our Nirn ? :P

My Hyperspace Viewer is Cloudy.. Need direct observation.. :D

If you have whatever version of obmm and wrye v295 then you're pretty much good to go as far as installing things goes.

Thanks that is what I thought. I know I would need more tools going forward but to get a basic start this should be good.

Install obse v21 and grab some plugins, first off pluggy 132, elys universal silent voice, these two should get many of the popular mods out there running. Perhaps menuque, blockhead, av uncapper and oblivion stutter remover too. These are quite popular. Note that some obse plugins are worth installing even if none of your mods requires it. If you want to be a helpful bug reporter, having conscribe often helps you and the author.

But you're modder and probably need some anal probesmodding tools. Get the latest versions of tes4edit, tes4file, tes4gecko (named after some weird kind of lizard from other planet) and tes4lodgen and you're almost set. Plus, since you might want to clean mods yourself, perhaps grab python 3.2 and pyffi-py3k-2.2.2 too. I don't think I'm using many more than this myself.

:unsure: Dammm!!! I didn't know I would need that many tools. (for Modding).. I think that would almost equal the size of the actual game lol.. I assume just finding the most current version of each of those above should be sufficient, correct? Those are alot of tools. Hope there are some on line tutorials or videos etc to follow to get the maximum out of my game. I assume I can get basic results from a basic install (not cleaned) but might have some minor issues (due to not being cleaned. )

As to CS extender, I think I'm using 6.1 or 6.2 build but many people seem to prefer 5.x build as 6.x has some occasional hiccups in the UI part.

I assume you haven't had any hiccups and these hiccups are only UI related and not effect the final product correct?

Later on you may want to add in the stand-alone version of WB; Wrye Bash 304.3 - Standalone Executable. You would install wrye v295 the usual way, get it configured and then export and save your settings while in v295. (It saves it directly to 7z archive file if I remember right.)

I heard that WB had some cool tools.. This sounds pretty cool. I am assuming that "configured" also includes getting the vast majority of my mods i wanted installed as well? This backup settings would back those up as well or is there something special I would need to do with WB to get that safely done.

Then you can just extract Wrye Bash 304.3 - Standalone Executable to a Oblivion Tools or similar folder. You need that version mainly for face imports as it doesn't work in v295. When using Wrye Bash 304.3, it asks if you want to backup your settings select no or cancel, as those created and saved by 304.3 are not compatible with v295 so it's wasted effort.

So until I need the face imports (which I don't know if I would need or want it at least to start) I could avoid this step. Thanks for telling me that it wasn't compatible. I assume that it is safe to state that each version would not be compatable with any other version of settings.

I prefer to have OBMM be the LO controlling tool instead of WB, but just make sure you don't have them both controlling it or you'll drive yourself nuts.  :P

I had that problem before. Years ago when I started this site I had an Oblivion install and have about 100 to 200 hours on it until I just had so many issues that I scrapped everything. This was one issue. How to you make sure that OBMM is the controlling tool?

I also prefer CS/E ver. 5.x vs 6x due to what movomo mentioned above. If and when you get really deep into modding, those un-resizable windows in 6.x begin to become a real pain in the arse.

So light tools and basic opening and tweaking would work regardless of which version I use however the v6 version and the un-resizable windows would be a pain. Is there any reason to use 6 over 5 for someone that has no experience with CS?

Make sure to get TES4Edit up and running ASAP as you'll want to clean quite a few ESPs, even the DLC stuff if you have it. Later for any MODs you create. After cleaning any DLCs make a backup archive with Oblivion and them and store it somewhere, in case you ever need to do a complete re-install. It'll save time.

I have never cleaned mods before Skyrim, and even now only have the main game esm cleaned not the other mods I install. Not confident in the process to clean other mods yet. Also not sure on how to clean the main Oblivion esms to start with. Again for the baby steps .. I should be able to post phone this part until after getting some mods installed and functional.. correct?

So

OBMM, OBSE21, TESedit, CS x5 and WB v295 is the start. along with

Pluggy 132, Elys Universal Silent Voice

Should get me moving into having a basic setup.

Then install a few mods.. get the main core mods from here installed etc. Then I can move deeper into processes.

Sorry this process to set this up is quite complex. Not difficult but complex for someone coming from Skyrim or even Fallout. I have been really wanting to revisit Nirn at this time ;). So I do want to get this up and running. I had originaly wanted to use MO as I used it with Skyrim and know it pretty good however I rethought it and decided using the native tools that are here that people like you two use would be better at least until I am sufficiently versed in the process to be able to resolve most if not all of my problems. Then I can move to whatever tools I want. Besides it seems like I would have to use WB anyway and figure some way to unpack and repack any OBMM mods as well. Lots of work on that.

Thanks for the replies I will follow up when I get the base setup.

The WB backup is just a backup of the WB settings, not all of the MODs, at least I don't think it is. And yeah, configured in this sense is WB settings, but I would suggest do the main ESM/ESP of MODs and LO via OBMM. Then tweaks in WB. I also personally don't use the merge ghosting feature of WB. I find it gets confusing going back and forth from OBMM (which won't show the ghosted ESPs) to WB. Ghosting IMO only becomes useful when you get up to or past the max ESM/ESP limit; 255 I think. A ghosted ESP is basically invisible to OBMM and the game, so the game loads faster.

The otheer thing you'll want to read up concerning WB is BAIN packages and their install, and building one. Much like OBMM and building omod files directly from 7z or other archive file types, you can do the same in WB, but BAIN IMO is much more sophisticated. See the WB documentation for more details.

Yeah, something to do with either where the older versions of WB vs. newer save them, and/or the format they just don't play well together. And yeah, face importing is more of a intermediate or advanced bit of work. I've gotten more into lately, pulling faces out of ESPs and other players saves, importing them into my PC or for use with other NPC characters. We can get more into that later, but it saves a ton of time when you want your PC or an NPC to have a certain and decent look.

If I remember correctly, OBMM is by default your LO controller and it's more a matter of turning off control in WB. Been a very long time since I had to set that up.

Once you get your LO perfected, do an export of your LO from OBMM under Import/Export. That way as you add more MODs in as you go, you can just create a new export and then import as needed. I typically keep about a dozen or so saved exports of my LO at various stages of adding in or removing MODs.

I never found a good enough reason to move to 6 vs 5 of CS/E. I tried it for a while and pretty much hated it. Oh! Just remembered. Set the CS properties to run in XP mode. It loads all of the resources and doesn't just hang.

Cleaning  an ESP (you typically won't do ESMs)  is not hard at all, surprisingly simple compared to other stuff you'll eventually be doing if you intend on modding. The DLCs are definitely dirty and should be cleaned, but only if you are using them. You can get a report of dirty MODs via WB, but you can potentially wait till you get a preferred LO set up, then post your LO for one the 'vets' here to review. 

that is a big tutorial :D..

Baby steps.. baby steps.. lol.

But yes. I guess I just need to start installing stuff..

I thought you little baby Alien are new on earth, so you need baby steps. ;)  :D

Actually being only three feet high my steps are almost like baby steps... ;) .

Sorry this process to set this up is quite complex. Not difficult but complex for someone coming from Skyrim or even Fallout. I have been really wanting to revisit Nirn at this time ;).

well i am just assembling some staff for skyrim install   and it seems more nuts than oblivion  :MO ,  skse + plugins , hdt , fnis  + requierements ,body difference and a slider for it .     and from what i remember FO  was not better

Sorry this process to set this up is quite complex. Not difficult but complex for someone coming from Skyrim or even Fallout. I have been really wanting to revisit Nirn at this time ;).

well i am just assembling some staff for skyrim install   and it seems more nuts than oblivion  :MO ,  skse + plugins , hdt , fnis  + requierements ,body difference and a slider for it .     and from what i remember FO  was not better

Start..(basic)

Install MO..

Install SKSE (separate the "data" folder from the SKSE you install into the Skryim folder. Use that Data folder for your MO installation. so that you can see the conflicts better and easier. that is the reason for not installing the data folder into the main game folder and having MO control it.  ;)

Clean the Skyrim Masters. (advised and pretty much necessary if using the Unofficial patches (advised)

Install FNIS, and addons.. Spells Creature etc. Set it up for MO.

Install the Unofficial Patches (strongly advised)

MCM Menu

SkyiUI

Test play start. (create a save if desired where character creation is at. Gives you opportunity to have a nice start regardless if you use Alternate Start mod and the previous mods are a basic main stay and so far don't require a clean install ;). ) You will always have a version of those mods.. :)

Optional 

Install TES and set it up (advised and needed for clean masters unless you have a backup.. ;). (installed directly into the main folder along with SKSE and CK)

Install Creation Kit and set it up..

Set up MO for direct downloads from Nexus. Minor settings (compact Download Interface, Download Meta Info etc) 

Backup MO and your Skyrim folder (7zip)

Now you have a base that you can start to move from.

The other stuff is add on stuff .. might be needed to get where you want to be but not needed to start basic mods. The problem like I am having is there is so much to do that people loose the basic setup in the process. In order to even know if you can continue or want to you need a basic setup. Something that you can jump from and know is solid and reliable.

Ask MO questions in the MO thread I am there quite often. Other than Body slide I am pretty versed in most basic setup and problems R/T MO.

I concur, fejeena's 'tutorial' is a good place to start.

And you can create a basic setup at first and evolve it over time with the more intermediate and advanced features later.

I agree. That is what I needed most. A basic start .. core needs. I am not even talking about the lovers mods and such. ;). Is there a safe way to back up this.. ? I mean with MO I just copy it. and done. Don't care about the game folder. I should be able to copy the game folder.. OBMM and WyreBash and be safe. correct?

Yeah, that should about do it. In fact you could even hold off on WB till you absolutely need it too. Mostly it's for the Bashed Patch, when some MODs need to be merged together and loaded near last. If you don't have any of those on your initial kill list, put WB on ice too.

And I do strongly suggest being very very careful with omod files. They will overwrite prior installs, mostly of textures, but sometimes NIFs too. I prefer to unpack them, with just a few exceptions; HGEC Body, PC/NPC Animation sets and some others I know I will never ever change again. And Pose Compendium, which I turn on and then off again after a screen capture session.

Yeah, that should about do it. In fact you could even hold off on WB till you absolutely need it too. Mostly it's for the Bashed Patch, when some MODs need to be merged together and loaded near last. If you don't have any of those on your initial kill list, put WB on ice too.

And I do strongly suggest being very very careful with omod files. They will overwrite prior installs, mostly of textures, but sometimes NIFs too. I prefer to unpack them, with just a few exceptions; HGEC Body, PC/NPC Animation sets and some others I know I will never ever change again. And Pose Compendium, which I turn on and then off again after a screen capture session.

Yes. I know if I have some texture on the same path or skeleton I will overwrite when I install it.. It is such a pain now as I don't know all the pathways but I can figure those out after I get a basic game running. No problems. If something happened I can reinstall the mods over again from the download folder/backup.. and install over the mod(s) that installed over.. lol. Like painting a wall. The last color or wallpaper is the only thing seen. .. I will likely postphone the WB but only a while. Even if I don't really need it right away it is almost a requirement and I would like to have it ready and setup to be sure I don't mess up a game in process if I start one. (not testing games of course).

Great info given by all here. Thanks to all. Everyone that posted deserves credit for this solution.  I had missed some links here despite my trying to find info on a basic through semi advanced setup.

Anybody reading this check out the links and explanations below.

The solution is

Follow over to here:

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/36443-oblivion-install-gametoolsbodiesbbbmod-sorting-and-cleaningcs-cse-body-stretching/?do=findComment&comment=915257

as most of the tools and tricks are explained and supported very well.

Check here:

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/4487-please-read-before-posting-here/

If questions or problems arise not covered by the previous link and basic setup. Helps resolve basic things that might have been missed.

Then if you want to add a little perversions go here.

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/21241-lapf/

Any questions on those setups can go there.

Now that everything works and you have everything you need and some room to spare.. go here

http://www.loverslab.com/files/category/4-oblivion/

and check out the other selections of mods that might suit your taste.

More resources for Oblivion Tweaks

http://wiki.step-project.com/User:Hishutup/OblivionGuide

This should cover most resources. AS soon as I have some time I will even placed these great links in my sig.. .. So I never loose them again.. :P

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Added to Sig.. :)

Archived