[Question/Discussion] It's Been A While - Lightweight Bondage Mod

Jayce Dimmer

Alright lads. After gritting my teeth and, for the upteenth time, reinstalling Skyrim whilst keeping mod conflicts to a minimum, I've hit a little snag.

There are no lightweight restraining mods for Skyrim. From what I can gather, we have slavery questlines and similar overbearing mods. The main problem with these, is the script burden; Sexlab Aroused & HDT Heels being two common examples.

The issue arises with the use of invisible cloak spells applying every few seconds, cycling through every nearby NPC to see if the script should work it's magic or not.

And never mind the world additions; having Whiterun turned into a den of debauchery just so my character can imprison a careless bandit...Bleh.

So aye. I'll keep my question short 'n' sweet:

How would I restrain an NPC, using assets from XAZ and/or Devious Devices Assets, and keep them restrained until the player releases them?

When I mean keep them restrained, I mean that in the way of keeping the NPC right in that same position and idle animation; the restraints won't disappear when the cell changes, the NPC won't resume whatever it was doing beforehand when the game is loaded, etc.

The method of putting the NPC in pillories (for example), that I would prefer, would be through dialogue. I know how to set up a dialogue quest, and I can hack my way through the Creation Kit Scripting documentation. My trouble is with the above; making the NPC play an idle animation with the appropriate anim object, and stopping the NPC from doing anything except from staying in it's restraints.

Of course, someone may already have a lightweight bondage mod released. If so, would somebody mind pointing the way to it? I must have missed it, if such a thing does exist.

There's PuppetMaster and Display Model which should provide the level of control you desire.

links to follow...

http://www.loverslab.com/files/file/1255-ill-take-the-display-model/

http://www.loverslab.com/files/file/463-puppet-master/

Both stable and reliable and will do what you describe, either in concert or separately.

Ooh, that was fast. And yeah, these seem to be just what I'm lookin' for. 'Specially DarkConsole's.

Many thanks. I'll go and try them out in-game.

The modder does say this:

"

• added support for sexlab aroused. self bondage has options to raise/lower arousal levels which you can choose based on your bondage personality. i say "added support" - if you don't have sexlab aroused, and you are getting CTD, i'm sorry. it might be *required*. my save loaded ok without it. i wrapped the calls to avoid calling functions that don't exist but skyrim is a fickle thing."

So it might work without it.

And a couple of earlier versions are on the download page which might be pre- SLAroused support with few other things missing, check the update log.

:D

I have sought similar (but not for NPCs) so I knew exactly what you needed!

And it turns out that that Display Model mod requires SexLab Aroused. Going to take a look to see if I can remove that dependancy. ONWARDS!

Sexlab Aroused Redux - removes the cloak spell and replaces it with a much lighter system, otherwise it's pretty much the same. It's been around for quite a while now so why haven't you heard of it?

Sexlab Aroused Redux - removes the cloak spell and replaces it with a much lighter system, otherwise it's pretty much the same. It's been around for quite a while now so why haven't you heard of it?

Redux? I do believe it does still use the cloak effect, but is somewhat lighter on the conditions checks. I tore that mod apart a while ago, so it might have changed in the half year or so I last looked at it.

Either way, I don't want any of the SLA/SLAR features; they're just deadweight for what I want to achieve.

Anyhow, I went ahead and added in the changes from V9 to V8, sans the SLA bits. Did this by comparing the .psc files; three scripts were updated by V9. Just went in-game and checked to see if it works. From my thirty seconds of testing, it does.

Going to test it further; if it doesn't break anything, I'll share it.

Redux? I do believe it does still use the cloak effect, but is somewhat lighter on the conditions checks. I tore that mod apart a while ago, so it might have changed in the half year or so I last looked at it.

Either way, I don't want any of the SLA/SLAR features; they're just deadweight for what I want to achieve.

Anyhow, I went ahead and added in the changes from V9 to V8, sans the SLA bits. Did this by comparing the .psc files; three scripts were updated by V9. Just went in-game and checked to see if it works. From my thirty seconds of testing, it does.

Going to test it further; if it doesn't break anything, I'll share it.

Nope, the spell is still there in the mod but it is no longer used (mod could be cleaned up now that the principle has been established). It uses quest aliases now instead which evidently reduces the papyrus load, also reduced was the scan frequency so updates to arousal levels take longer but overall the papyrus overhead of the mod is greatly reduced.

Nope, the spell is still there in the mod but it is no longer used (mod could be cleaned up now that the principle has been established). It uses quest aliases now instead which evidently reduces the papyrus load, also reduced was the scan frequency so updates to arousal levels take longer but overall the papyrus overhead of the mod is greatly reduced.

Then it is improved. There is still that script overhead, and there are still character scans. I need every bit of performance I can eek out of my system, and I don't plan on gimping it in the slightest way with features are useless for my gamin'.

I'd be more than happy to add it to my load order, if there was a dummy version; one that ran no scripts, and didn't effect the game at all.

I don't know where this "if it's got scripts, it's baaaaad" myth came from, but while the Papyrus engine is indeed not exactly a great example of software design, there is no reason to completely shun scripts either. Vanilla Skyrim runs a lot of them too, you know? There are a few constructs that really kill your performance, such as firing off cloak spells every 10 seconds or cell scans, or moving full inventories between containers or triggering complex periodic events every 5 seconds, but as long as modders stay away from doing that, there is nothing wrong with a few lines of code. The Papyrus footprint of Redux is fairly marginal these days.

I don't know where this "if it's got scripts, it's baaaaad" myth came from, but while the Papyrus engine is indeed not exactly a great example of software design, there is no reason to completely shun scripts either. Vanilla Skyrim runs a lot of them too, you know? There are a few constructs that really kill your performance, such as firing off cloak spells every 10 seconds or cell scans, or moving full inventories between containers or triggering complex periodic events every 5 seconds, but as long as modders stay away from doing that, there is nothing wrong with a few lines of code. The Papyrus footprint of Redux is fairly marginal these days.

Not everyone's got a super clocked i5 proccy. And when I've already chocked the game full of script-heavy mods and added a gajillion NPCs, I don't want to throw something on top that drains resources; especially when I don't have any technical need nor want for it.

Not everyone's got a super clocked i5 proccy. And when I've already chocked the game full of script-heavy mods and added a gajillion NPCs, I don't want to throw something on top that drains resources; especially when I don't have any technical need nor want for it.

Fair enough. I was just trying to make sure you're not overestimating the load most mods are actually putting on Papyrus. The vast majority is actually fairly harmless, and lines of code is also not an indicator for weather or not a certain mod is actually a Papyrus hog.

Sacremas has a posted a good guide that can help telling apart acceptable mods from these you really should stay away from. It's a good read if you haven't already.

Fair enough. I was just trying to make sure you're not overestimating the load most mods are actually putting on Papyrus. The vast majority is actually fairly harmless, and lines of code is also not an indicator for weather or not a certain mod is actually a Papyrus hog.

Sacremas has a posted a good guide that can help telling apart acceptable mods from these you really should stay away from. It's a good read if you haven't already.

Thanks for the info on Sacremas and the modder's guide - I'd missed this and it's excellent. Also thank you for Deviously Cursed - I actually only use it for the solicitation and sex attacks, not really into 50 shades of skyrim thing (although its tempting me to get Estrus installed again).

Archived