Ideas for a player home mod

Asrienda

So... tell me, what do you want out of a home mod?

I think it would be nice to have a quest related estate that grows as you advance. Perhaps a ghost town with one large building and a couple of small houses around. In the end, the main building will have most of the areas a player could want, like a library, a smiting area, an enchanting and alchemy area and of course a bar. And a small nearby mine and garden might be nice too.

When you start, all areas in the estate and houses around the estate are in ruin. Perhaps a miner could work there who goes to the nearby city once a while to sell his wares. He might know of a blacksmith in need of a place to work, and thus begins the quest to convince the blacksmith to move to the estate. In the end, you will have your own small town with most of the npc’s in the bar in the evening and people working in or around the estate. And perhaps a traveling mercant will visit the place as well every three days. Thus when you get home from dragon slaying out in the wild, you do not return to an empty home.

Perhaps an agorian herbalist could come in handy as well, not only making the place look nice with flowers, but also knows with plants to draw insects, how to grow mushrooms, etc. In other words, after a few stages you have your own small ingredients garden that allows harvesting a bit more often than regular.

However, modding all of this will probably take a long time…

Should the slave theme be subtile and hiden, or out in the open?

I usually prefer the slave theme to be subtle. As to an addition to my former suggestion…

The town morale determines its revenue. Over time morale will slowly decrease to 35%. But when morale gets high, you get benefits like being able to buy a filled grand soul gem very cheap, or an ebony ore or a daedra hearth. When morale is not high enough, you’ll never get to see those items. (it could be something like morale has to be higher than 95% for 48 in game hours).

There are things you can do on a daily basis to increase morale. When morale is below 55%, just visiting your estate once a day will increase morale. When morale is below 70% it still increases morale, but only little. Of course you can help out individual npc’s. Give a round in the bar in the evening is good for morale as well, although at 80% its effect will be totally gone. Then of course are the more devious quests, like serving drinks in a ‘humble state’. Or the less ordinary personal npc requests. These quests however should take the sexual preferences into account.

Perhaps the npc behind the bar could be a former slave who wears slave boots and a chastity belt while you hold the keys. She will also be the one to ask about the current morale and perhaps see the options that you have left to start those quests. Just like some quests won’t work anymore when morale in town gets high, perhaps the more devious morale increasing quests should requires a certain level of morale before they are available.

The bar npc might request an orgasm once in a while. When you grant her to masturbate only when everyone is around in the evening, everybody’s morale will increase except that of the bar npc as that one will actually decrease. To increase her morale afterwards, you can allow her to let her lock you up in a chastity belt as well for a brief period of time (1 to 5 days).

And the amount of modding this requires increases a lot…

I think an expanding town is out of the scope of this mod. I've mostly completed the exterior already and I'm working on the interior now.

It's a medium sized two story house for now with a basement and dungeon. The idea is it will be fairly normal in the regular house.

I havent gone in game to see it yet but ill get pictures shortly.

I'm taking a break from working on it for right now. Input welcome! It has a placeholder name (_rax), it has a fast travel marker, and is located just south of Dawnstar. It's navmeshed enough for a follower to get in the front door, but I'm not going to navmesh until I finish placing furniture and such.

Things to do:

Clutter everything!

Put in real lighting

Lots of work on the kitchen needed

Lots of work on the master bedroom needed

Make doors lock

Do the quest

Come up with a name

Do some work on the outside

Navmesh

Some explanation of what's going on in the home...

First floor has a dining area, bar, and kitchen. The area to the right of the door is going to be a little lounge-type spot.

Second floor contains two follower bedrooms, a master bedroom, and a bathroom. The furotub is kind of a placeholder for a real tub (lol).

The idea I'm going with in the dungeon is that not only is the dungeon itself locked, but also the cages to the crafting stations so just in case the slaves escape their cells or something, they can't gain easy access to the crafting equipment to make weapons or whatever. The house is also located pretty far from anything in the middle of a very snowy area to deter escape attempts due to the cold. But it's still reasonably close to Dawnstar.

_rax.esp

Lighting is my number one on player housing. I'm sure a lot of them are pretty in that one screenshot but useable, especially with more than one follower present +PC, - not usually so much. Much colliding ensues.

How about Morningside (or +Lodge/Estate/whatever) since it's close to dawn(star)?

For me its basically about the theme. I like an interesting home, and one that functions well. I usually enjoy simplicity but in a game home its really hard to say that. Play around with the area its in. Size doesn't really matter to me, the extremely large ones can be a bit of a nag to run around in, but the very small ones can be just as annoying. I guess its all about layout. Most of the Skyrim homes feel very cluttered to me.

For me its basically about the theme. I like an interesting home, and one that functions well. I usually enjoy simplicity but in a game home its really hard to say that. Play around with the area its in. Size doesn't really matter to me, the extremely large ones can be a bit of a nag to run around in, but the very small ones can be just as annoying. I guess its all about layout. Most of the Skyrim homes feel very cluttered to me.

Can you take a look at the download I posted above regarding home size?

A little late for putting in opinions, I suppose, but in the interest of getting ideas out there for any future project, the ideal, complete home mod that I'd like to see someday would be one with the following features:

1. It's buildable using the HF system, both for the previously brought up point about having the player work for the home and for the aspect of being to build up the home as you play, so that you're always on the lookout for useful stuff to improve your home.

2. Support for Hearthfire Multiple Adoptions, because adopting the orphans gives me the warm fuzzies.

3. Plenty of display rooms and the like that have areas both for specific unique items like artifacts and dragon claws and for anything else the player might want to show off, like mod-added equipment or anything. This means copious numbers of mannequins!

4. NPCs that can live and do business on the town's land. Merchants, craftsmen, farmers, guards, I just like having characters around.

5. It has adult themes, but is also fully feasible as a wholesome home. Many house mods like to hide away secret chambers behind false walls or the like which usually have things like vampire lairs behind them. Some other house mods include a prison-like area so you can have the satisfaction of locking away particular characters you hate named Nazeem. So I'd like to see something where the home has a prison area hidden away, in a separate cell so that you can't get any distressing conflicts with having this stuff around and having kids living in the house, and you have the option of building kinkier things in there or keeping it as a standard prison. (Or, if it's one's prerogative, keeping it as a standard prison and using other mods to simulate the adult stuff) Honestly adult stuff is optional though, I just really want some place I can cram those NPCs we love to hate.

Now that I think about it, I think my ideal home would be pretty much something like the Underground Bathhouse home if it included a home building system rather than being the old sort of completely free home that's just magically yours. That and more interesting interior decor rather than taking so much space for baths.

I took a look at the home when it had no basement....(don't know if it changed). The layout seems fine, even with no basement lol.

I may have changed the layout upstairs a tad, I don't remember too much how it was. I went through numerous revisions of the upstairs, first with a large 6 unit master bedroom and 4 two unit follower rooms, then with a 6 unit master bedroom, 2 two unit follower rooms, and a balcony, and now I think it's a 4 unit master bedroom, 2 two unit follower rooms, and a 1 unit bathroom and a balcony. I like this layout the best so far.

The first floor layout is what I'm having the most problems with to be honest.

I took a look at the home when it had no basement....(don't know if it changed). The layout seems fine, even with no basement lol.

I may have changed the layout upstairs a tad, I don't remember too much how it was. I went through numerous revisions of the upstairs, first with a large 6 unit master bedroom and 4 two unit follower rooms, then with a 6 unit master bedroom, 2 two unit follower rooms, and a balcony, and now I think it's a 4 unit master bedroom, 2 two unit follower rooms, and a 1 unit bathroom and a balcony. I like this layout the best so far.

The only part about the 1st floor I don't get is what I guess should be the kitchen....there is a small room too the left that I don't get. Unless you removed it.

The only part about the 1st floor I don't get is what I guess should be the kitchen....there is a small room too the left that I don't get. Unless you removed it.

I removed it, it was going to be a pantry or cold storage (with some ice and stuff!) but I needed to put an oven somewhere and it didn't really fit anywhere else but the end of that room.

Sure thing!

There isn't much in it so clutter wise I can't really speak on it, but the basic layout is really nice. The upstairs may need a bit of work as it is a bit jammed up close together, but besides that I really liked it. I thought it was an interesting house. I'd add another room or area downstairs myself but I am not a modder. As it is, pretty 8/10 in the space department. 

There isn't much in it so clutter wise I can't really speak on it, but the basic layout is really nice. The upstairs may need a bit of work as it is a bit jammed up close together, but besides that I really liked it. I thought it was an interesting house. I'd add another room or area downstairs myself but I am not a modder. As it is, pretty 8/10 in the space department. 

Where do you think the other room should be downstairs?

Back behind the dining room table. It doesn't have to be a full room, maybe an expansion of the existing space or just an open doorway. Its just an idea. I liked what you had so far and have been looking for a good house mod to go with all of my loverslab content.

Back behind the dining room table. It doesn't have to be a full room, maybe an expansion of the existing space or just an open doorway. Its just an idea. I liked what you had so far and have been looking for a good house mod to go with all of my loverslab content.

What do you mean by behind the dining room table?

Here's a thought: The one thing I've seen most problematic with towers isn't the roundness, it's the huge spaces It's extremely difficult to make those giant rotunda's and superwide hallways and rotating stairs feel like home . . . not to mention all the friggin ugly stone.

Something I've done with personal spaces is using wharf walkways as dividers and what I call "front walls"  . . . take a short section (of the wharf), set it just in front of an interior wall with a bit of space in between (not big enough to walk in between them). My skyrim is hosed at the mo (has been since before Cities Skylines came out) otherwise I'd just bump a screenshot. 

Anyway this does 3 things... adds depth, adds color (a bit of red/brown cuts the grey nicely), and helps manage the space. I used the helgen tower (the very first interior space you enter in the game) as the basis for a home and using those walls I was able to make a nice living room/kitchen area with stairs up to a 2nd level for bedroom and storage. You could do this kinda thing >>   __----__   (bottom facing the room) against the curved wall.

I also found that using really large pieces like the dragonsreach dining tables, or even some of the odder shaped wharf pieces, but clipping them mostly into the walls until you get a nice shape, also does wonders for squaring the usable space without necessarily squaring the 'feel'. Wall-based lighting also makes it feel more homey. top dead center is more efficient, yes, but it's ... uninteresting.

Just a couple thoughts.

Oh also quest . . . Next travel to Dawnstar, the town is under bandit attack. When they're quelled, you should go speak to the Jarl. He asks you to clear out bandits from this potential homestead. You get there and it's not just bandits, it's <something more heinous>. Then after you're done, jarl offers you the deed as payment for services rendered and says he'll get townfolk to "clean the place up in a couple days." Voila... useful home-gaining quest.

Yeah I tried to divide up and color the walls a bit in my last mod, but it was my first home and I have no desire to go back to it to be honest. Thanks for the pointers though :)

I like that, although it seems a bit too "vanilla" for me personally. Then again, maybe I shouldn't be so ambitious with my first quest project so that might be just the thing!

yeah it is vanilla (= but as you said, ambitious which is why i suggested vanilla.

Of course, it could just as easily work as a seed for something less vanilla. Instead of bandits, it could be trolls or vamps or hagravens or spriggans or anything really where nobody has any idea where the lair is but "they came from the west" 

Also, while a quest is kinda cool, sometimes people just want the player home. A light :30 quest isn't much of an addition to it while being a little something extra.

I'm currently looking for a new player home, something along the lines of this.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/65673/?tab=1&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fskyrim%2Fajax%2Fmoddescription%2F%3Fid%3D65673%26preview%3D&pUp=1

Also best player homes are not within the vicinity of whiterun or riverwood, i don't like it when they are by the starting areas, better when they are hidden and far away from them. Maybe around the beaches or hills of Dawnstar or the mountains by Markarth, nothings ever over there.

I'm currently looking for a new player home, something along the lines of this.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/65673/?tab=1&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fskyrim%2Fajax%2Fmoddescription%2F%3Fid%3D65673%26preview%3D&pUp=1

Also best player homes are not within the vicinity of whiterun or riverwood, i don't like it when they are by the starting areas, better when they are hidden and far away from them. Maybe around the beaches or hills of Dawnstar or the mountains by Markarth, nothings ever over there.

Personally, I like homes that are centrally convenient. That doesn't mean Whiterun/Riverwood exactly, but it's hard not to be near there.

If you look at the map, the space between Whiterun and Rorikstead is relatively empty, but nobody ever puts anything in there. There's some nice plains and alcoves in there for homesteads.

Archived