Ideas for a player home mod

Asrienda

nice homey little place you made there, some good work. However, I'm finding that I'm unable to get into the cellar. I click on the rug under the stair, and nothing happens. I was wondering where the cell is for the cellar, so I TCL'd under the house and I don't see a cellar anywhere around the house.

Don't see a multi-use pole in the bedroom either. Perhaps you put an older version up for download in this thread?

nice homey little place you made there, some good work. However, I'm finding that I'm unable to get into the cellar. I click on the rug under the stair, and nothing happens. I was wondering where the cell is for the cellar, so I TCL'd under the house and I don't see a cellar anywhere around the house.

Don't see a multi-use pole in the bedroom either. Perhaps you put an older version up for download in this thread?

The cellar is in a different zone, what should happen is the rug should roll up and a floor hatch revealed where the rug was.

Look between the door and the tall wardrobe in the bedroom for the pole, it should be there.

ok, I was blind. I found the pole in the bedroom. But I cannot get that rug to move. re-ran FNIS in case it was an animation, nothing. Put your mod last in load order, first in load order, nothing.  tried long-click to activate it, in case it used the mechanism to pick up a corpse, etc. Nothing. I'm stumped.

Leave the house, save. Exit skyrim and load that save while your outside, go in and try opening it again.  I had to do that on my test and it worked.

That's really weird. I wonder why that is? It's like a 7 line script that just disables and enables things.

I'm thinking of naming this something simple like East Reach House lol. 

darksong, I tried to make the pole as inconspicuous as possible, along with all the other random things in the bedroom that are sexy-themed but if you aren't thinking like that, they would seem boring, like the rope hanging from the ceiling, the ropes on the bed posts, the shackles on the headboard, the horker tusk next to dwarven oil, etc. So it's understandable that it was missed :)

I'm probably going to release this later tonight as just a home you enter without any quest or NPCs or anything. I'll update it with a mini quest or some back story later.

tried that as well, no dice. very peculiar. makes me wonder if whatever function the rolling up rug does, is not liking that I remapped the "activate" key. 

The unrolled rug is an activator. When you activate it, it disables the unrolled rug and enables the trapdoor and the rolled rug. When you activate the rolled rug (which is also an activator), it does the opposite, disabling itself and the trapdoor and enabling the unrolled rug.

Scriptname asriHouseUnrolled extends ObjectReference  

ObjectReference Property unrolledRug Auto
ObjectReference Property rolledRug Auto
ObjectReference Property hatch Auto

Event OnActivate(ObjectReference akActionRef)
unrolledRug.Disable()
rolledRug.Enable()
hatch.Enable()

EndEvent

heh, I give up. I grabbed the latest version you put up for download, and that one works perfectly. Like I said very nice work, I just have a couple things about it I disagree with - like the combat dummy by the stairs, just doesn't make sense to me. I'd rather have a second mannequin there, and the combat dummy be outside. Otherwise a really nice homey home you got there

heh, I give up. I grabbed the latest version you put up for download, and that one works perfectly. Like I said very nice work, I just have a couple things about it I disagree with - like the combat dummy by the stairs, just doesn't make sense to me. I'd rather have a second mannequin there, and the combat dummy be outside. Otherwise a really nice homey home you got there

I'm working on a few tweaks to the clutter right now and I think I agree. Not sure I'll put a second mannequin there, but I'll either delete or move the combat dummy outside. Most likely delete.

I originally put it there as kind of a place holder since that area seemed a little empty. Then when I put the mannequin there, it was pretty obvious how out of place the combat dummy was. So it'll be gone in the next revision :)

I'm working on a few tweaks to the clutter right now and I think I agree. Not sure I'll put a second mannequin there, but I'll either delete or move the combat dummy outside. Most likely delete.

I originally put it there as kind of a place holder since that area seemed a little empty. Then when I put the mannequin there, it was pretty obvious how out of place the combat dummy was. So it'll be gone in the next revision :)

Had you considered a SPODUM mannequin? Basically it's a live mannequin that you can order around.

Had you considered a SPODUM mannequin? Basically it's a live mannequin that you can order around.

I tried SPODUM a while back and had problems with it. I'm trying to keep the number of dependencies low in this mod and full-size mannequins work well enough, it's the mini ones that give me trouble. And I don't think more than one mannequin makes sense in that location anyway, so it works as one vanilla mannequin.

• 2 years later...

It has been "my experience" that most house mods are either small minimalist homes (which is fine) or huge sprawling mansions/castles, usually with hundreds of weapon and armor displays. Sure there are enough great houses that fit into the "perfect home" category, moderately sized with just enough displays as to not be annoying. Leaf Rest and Elysium Estate quickly come to mind.

What I would like to see in a house mod (not a request) is a small abandoned village hopefully walled. A handful of simple buildings like a Blacksmith Shop, perhaps a shared General Goods/Alchemist and of course an Inn. You could recruit followers to man these shops like you do with "The Drunken Dragon". Since it is intended as a player home and village there would be a guardhouse/prison and a minimalistic player home as well.

I have attempted this several times but since my modding skills suck and I have unending problems with the creation kit it never happened.

Archived