[Guide] How-To: Muscle Texture Changer Mods

Well if you already have memory problems, using a mod like Bijin which adds a full set of textures to all affected NPCs is not a good idea :)

And you might want to read up on STEP how to configure ENBoost, i'm using 9GB+ of VRAM right now without any problems.

When you just use a custom race like the Ningheim, easiest way is to use the same body and textures you have installed as vanilla replacer - best to patch the race so it uses those by default.

And you probably should do the same with NPC replacers like Bijin because as mentioned they are massive performance killers.

Also you can try to delete the "texture swap list" entry for the affected races/NPCs (explained above). Worked fine for me to remove the effect from RS Children for example, although i only made a very brief test and can't say if there are possible drawbacks from doing that.

If you don't want or can't mod the things above yourself, then you have to decide:

Do you want the variety and quality for everyone that a texture changer mod provides? Or is it more important to have a couple of NPCs with 10 different textures?

Just saying, that practically all other NPC overhauls do not have this issue, because they use vanilla texture paths in the first place.

Yeah, I realize what you're saying. For this playthrough I'm using BW, so I'll pass on the mod this time around, but for a different profile I just might use it. My computer doesn't have memory issues, but I do have several hair mods installed, and I managed to make it crash when I looked through all the different hairs, and then started looking through them again backwards. It killed the 512 memory limit and made me ctd, but can easily be avoided most times. Right now I'm just using texblend to edit Lydia's normals and any other Bijin npc's manually.

I like to think I have a fairly decent clue of what I'm doing, just learning MO as I started using it a month ago. Still don't get why this mod overwrites texturepath and normal maps from a mod that comes after in the loadorder and left window of MO though, and it says there's no conflicts.

I like to think I have a fairly decent clue of what I'm doing, just learning MO as I started using it a month ago. Still don't get why this mod overwrites texturepath and normal maps from a mod that comes after in the loadorder and left window of MO though, and it says there's no conflicts.

It's because no other mods touch the vanilla race texturesets; apparently having several texturesets is an unused vanilla feature because this mod only adds a list of entries (it doesn't modify the existing one) and Skyrim "knows" what to do with that. There are no scripts or anything else involved.

The problems seem to be with the mods that depend on the "DefaultRace" entry (although they have their own paths), and those that add a 2nd texture swap list (or rather use the vanilla swap list to be precise).

I haven't really bothered reading up why those entries are there in those race mods - for hairstyles etc. it is there so the race can use vanilla assets, but why for skin textures? No idea :)

• 1 month later...

Guk, I'm trying to apply the Muscle Changer to a custom race. How would I go about doing this? Btw, your S.E.F.A.P. preset reminds me of the Amazon from Dragon's Crown. Thanks.

For a custom race with its own textures, you should probably just pick the muscle texture you want and install that.

Otherwise you could check in TES5edit what exactly the Muscle Changer mod does, then recreate the same in the CK for your custom race.

Should work like this:

Create additional Texture Sets for the body -->

Create a FormID List with those Texture Sets (not sure if the CK actually creates this automatically) -->

In the custom race's "Armor Addon" for something like "NakedTorso", enter this FormID under "NAM3 - Female Skin Texture Swap List

• 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...