Take that! Skyrim!

panthercom

I never thought I'd spend so much for a video card, but crossfired 7870XTs were

absolutely not up to the task even with vanilla Skyrim. I got fed up with the stuttering,

I tried all the various 'fixes' and concluded crossfire and Skyrim don't go together, and

a single 7870 wouldn't let me do what I wanted to graphics-wise. The sad thing is, I could

play Metro 2033 Redux on Ultra, and it worked great with those cards. The new card

will only pull half the power that the twin cards did, so I'm helping to prevent global warming ;)

What sacrifices have YOU made for Skyrim?

post-144391-0-31193500-1415756142_thumb.jpg

GTX 680 and it performs pretty well, I can run a bunch of graphics mods and a fairly decent ENB at around 30-35 fps, what I cant do however is increase uGridsToLoad, that just costs too much.

Some day, oh some day I will have a computer that can run this game with all the bells and whistles including the top ENBs and a uGridsToLoad of 13. Mark my words Skyrim!

My sacrifice = frying my cards so I can get solid 60 fps at 4k...

Fried my 780s a couple months back, but the new Maxwell cards seem to run very cool, despite the heavy OC/OV.

Tops off at ~75C-ish under heavy load:

ctggoykabr764a513.png

On a separate note, I do think you should have waited a bit longer though.

Nvidia is going to release the 8GB version of the 980 around this December; I kind of regret going for the 4GB version myself, and I doubt EVGA will allow Step-Up between the 4GB and 8GB versions of the same card...

The bike is a restoration/upgrade that I did on a 1919 Elgin, which was a brand sold by Sears Roebuck form the 1900's to the 1940's.

I did all the paintwork and mechanicals myself, and used modern lightweight parts wherever they looked period appropriate, so the bike

weighs 38 lbs instead of 55-60 lbs. It's got a 5 speed hub and drum brakes in the front, and it's the smoothest, most enjoyable

bike I've ever ridden. I'd classify it as a 'high speed cruiser', since it has a really smooth ride but will hit 25MPH

on level ground. Pashley makes new bikes of a similar mechanical specification, but they're not as pretty.

I'd really like to have a 1920's Packard automobile, but I have neither the money nor a place to put it, so the bike provides me

with an alternative and practical form of 'antique transportation'. When I ride it I can hear Al Jolson music playing in my head :lol:

That antique style bicycle is kind of interesting as well. Was it home made, restored or can you purchase ones like that now?

i7 3770, ssd, 2 big monitors and a half dead amd 6850. 20% of the games crash my pc, no not the game the pc(black screen no bsod no event log). This only happends with most indie games and some new games, skyrim and KSP work fine so i dont want to spend alot of money on it right now.

Be happy what you have, not what you dont. <-- I think its not even proper English haha.

absolutely not up to the task even with vanilla Skyrim. I got fed up with the stuttering,

I tried all the various 'fixes' and concluded crossfire and Skyrim don't go together, and

a single 7870 wouldn't let me do what I wanted to graphics-wise. The sad thing is, I could

play Metro 2033 Redux on Ultra, and it worked great with those cards. The new card

will only pull half the power that the twin cards did, so I'm helping to prevent global warming ;)

Dude.. firstly skyrim is running on the gamebryo engine which was only designed fro single GPU's.. there is however a CF profile for skyrim now but im getting 100% on one card and only 30 - 50% on the other.. i dunno if you knew about the pre-defined cf profiles... anyways i'd stick with your CF since most new games and most likely the new Elderscrolls game TES6 if it comes out or w/e will be on a new engine HOPEFULLY lol.. anyways i have everything in 2k-4k textures with two R9 270x's the only thing i have issues with is loading new area's i get massive stutters but it shoots back up to a solid 60fps even with my grass ( similar to dat grass lol ) 

If you;re running into issues with grass you can turn off grass shadows and use a preformance grass texture it will help you out SO much... however if you;re using an ENB.. you're restricted to only one GPU sadly.. and although borris has tried his best to optimize the Vram its still not practical unless you;re using a titan or  a 290x, 780ti etc etc.. i think if you wanna upgrade.. i would pick up a 380X when it drops its price point is around 500 dollars.. BUT its revolutionary in the GPU market.. almsot 5000 spu's and stacked Vram it blows the 980 out of the water.. not too mention 20nm! ( might be 22nm dont remember) but that means less power consumption and thus leads to less heat! :D.. trust me just keep your CF becasue you have more raw power than a titan black or a 780ti even a 290x

I've got a GTX 670 4GB, which I got purely to run skyrim with lots of mods. It's getting to the point where I'm wanting to play some modern games now I can afford to buy them, and find that my GPU is starting to struggle running it on ultra. It's not that big of a problem, but a new GPU like a GTX 970 would make skyrim better as well, not just the more modern games. 

Actually I guess it is not only for skyrim only but for games in general (even if my skyrim was vanilla during this time, my old laptop did really get old fast. *have to change the heat paste again*).

I did spend ~1.100€ for my computer winter 2013 and did work 3 weeks in the summer ( it was my first job ).

I had my computer for my birthday(~200€) + work(~900€).

Dude.. firstly skyrim is running on the gamebryo engine which was only designed fro single GPU's.. there is however a CF profile for skyrim now but im getting 100% on one card and only 30 - 50% on the other.. i dunno if you knew about the pre-defined cf profiles... anyways i'd stick with your CF since most new games and most likely the new Elderscrolls game TES6 if it comes out or w/e will be on a new engine HOPEFULLY lol.. anyways i have everything in 2k-4k textures with two R9 270x's the only thing i have issues with is loading new area's i get massive stutters but it shoots back up to a solid 60fps even with my grass ( similar to dat grass lol )

If you;re running into issues with grass you can turn off grass shadows and use a preformance grass texture it will help you out SO much... however if you;re using an ENB.. you're restricted to only one GPU sadly.. and although borris has tried his best to optimize the Vram its still not practical unless you;re using a titan or a 290x, 780ti etc etc.. i think if you wanna upgrade.. i would pick up a 380X when it drops its price point is around 500 dollars.. BUT its revolutionary in the GPU market.. almsot 5000 spu's and stacked Vram it blows the 980 out of the water.. not too mention 20nm! ( might be 22nm dont remember) but that means less power consumption and thus leads to less heat! :D.. trust me just keep your CF becasue you have more raw power than a titan black or a 780ti even a 290x

ENB works really well with multi card set ups. Only thing you have to disable is temporal AA.

I get 90-95% scaling with 2 980s, and am even getting ~60% out of my third, which is pretty amazing for multi card configurations.

Also AMD pretty much announced during their event in Japan that their 380X is intended to compete against 970 and 980, so I'm expecting its performance to be similar to the 980 but at a lower price point.

Rumored specs really don't mean much until you see the actual real world performances. Just look at AMD's promises with bulldozer/piledriver: 8 physical cores, amazing scalability, efficient architecture, etc., yet they perform quite badly in the real world, even just against Intel's dual core i3s.

AMD's big one is going to be the 390X, but that card's delayed to oblivion, so it'll be competing against nvidia's 20nm when it comes out, likely the 980 Ti or Titan 2.

The fact that the 390X comes with a water cooler is going to be a deal breaker for me though. Even with my fairly large case (900D), I still doubt I'll be able to find the room for 3 big radiators; the whole idea of separate closed loop blocks is just terrible for multi card set ups.

Also kind of alarming when AMD has to use water cooler for a single card solution, 20nm no less. I'll probably just upgrade to 980 Tis when they come out. If the 980 is any indication, the 980 Ti should run really cool on air, given the die shrink.

My crossfired 7870's put out enough heat to heat my computer room all by themselves, with the single

980 the air coming out the top of the computer case is room temperature. After all the bullshit I went through

with the crossfire setup on Skyrim causing stutter and lag, I'm happy to retire them. I'll put one in my old quad

core system and sell the other one. I don't want to deal with endless tweaks to attempt to get something which

isn't suitable for the game I want to play to work decently. I'll see how far I can get with my single card, and do the

SLI thing if I need more horsepower. I don't really enjoy games that much unless they're an open world and can be

modded; if they aren't then they're just an interactive movie as far as I'm concerned, so I pretty much stick to

Skyrim and Fallout.

Archived