[Idea] The Next "Gray Fox"

Randomwower

Possible spoilers ahead, if you haven't played the previous game. - Back in Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, you could go through a questline with the thieves and learn the story of the Gray Fox who inherited a cowl stolen from Nocturnal Herself; with the cowl was a curse, whosoever wore the cowl, the Mask as it were, would lose their identity. Their name would be stricken from history and they would be unknown.

I always have liked Nocturnal's robes, but what I dislike is how many mods just throw her robes around willy nilly without any respect or means of truly -earning- them... I want to propose a heist.

One of the great joys of master pickpocketing is the ability to swipe Equipped items from people. I set out to do this myself and swipe it from Nocturnal, but lo, cinematic mode kept me from getting behind her during her speech and robbing her of the garment she wore...

I would like the chance to be able to do this, rob Nocturnal of her very dignity as she rewards her new "Nightingale." Rather than belong to her, you will interrupt her condescending speech and leave her speechless by proving you have a godlike trait of your own, and perhaps with her newfound immodesty, her powers are in your hands? So long as you possess those robes, you could maybe have her as a follower with a great power-but unable to harm the bearer of her garment. Or, perhaps, -you- become Nocturnal? So long as you wear those robes you gain the powers and traits of the goddess, and she becomes a mere mortal to gape up at your daring.

Maybe I'm putting too much emphasis on the effect the robes will have, maybe you just rob her while she's talking and then you just get a nice set of robes while she goes "Hmph" and portals out, but honestly, who doesn't want to show her up after that speech she gave?

I say Down with the queen, and let the robes mean a great achievement!

...Thoughts?

Hmm, the idea itself sounds nice, but I think you expect to much of such a simple robe. Yes, it looks nice ;), yes it's worn by a goddess, but still it's only a piece of clothing.

So, I don't think that the powers of Nocturnal herself are bound in her robe, but maybe some mighty enchantments, that will help thieves and burglars.

So maybe something like, if you're senaking and there is no lightsource nearby you're getting literally invisible, or similar to Dark Brotherhood shoes let the wearer move completely silent.

And at last idea, maybe the robe has the effects of all three alternatives to choose as Nocturnals champ as enchantment at the same time (still understandable? Soryy, im Ger :P)

Don't care much for Nocturnal herself actually. Her robe is pretty nice as far as vanilla item goes, it would make a decent quest line reward, but really all that work just for the ability to get that when there are plenty of mods out there with all kind of variation of the robe sort of undermine it a little or a little too late.

Also the skeleton key itself is arguably more useful. Think of it worth as much as the investment in the pick pocking level/perk or save you the effort of ever having to invest that far into pick pocketing.

Now better heist quest on the other hand...

When I read the title, my first thought was a questline where the PC gets the Gray Cowl... that stucks to his/her face Devious Devices-style. Kinda the inversion of Oblivion's Thieves' Guild questline where you helped the Gray Fox get rid of the cowl... now you have to un-curse it yourself or you're screwed. That would be nice.

Gods aren't weak, she would snap her fingers and you'd die. 

If she would feel ashamed by losing her robes then everyone present would die. 

I do not think she was ashamed but more amused. Which is why Purloined Shadows ends with "Oh, who  am I? I'm the distraction." Emer Dareloth makes off with the cowl but is cursed ... his name erased from history and his home - a guild hall - sealed until the curse is lifted via the Hero of Kvatch securing an elder scroll and becoming the next Gray Fox thus changing the course of history. The cowl imbued feather, life detection and fortify sneak... but also raised infamy.  

A more interesting book on the Cowl of Nocturnal is "Song of Hrormir"  where he trades his freedom for his brother's, is enslaved to her bidding and beds with her for endless nights. He steals the cowl and she being without it the sun rises.. and he trades the cowl back for his freedom. 

The idea of her reacting in amusement would also be fun, though I don't believe we have the soundclips to voice for her in that regard. How would her amusement play off? Would she put a horrible curse down, or leave you with a boon for your initiative?

One of my thoughts for how to play this out was, rather than "Returning" the key, you use it to open the gate and keep it in hand... Then either she comes out and you have the chance to grab the garment, or you chase her into her realm... Although, if you did that, she'd be able to mind-kill you without a second thought, however, the Daedric Princes are not at full power when on Nirn... She would not have so much ease performing such retribution if she projects herself into nirn as she did in vanilla, that is one of the reasons Daedra don't rule over Tamriel.

Enslaving a projection is something normal conjurers do all the time... Maybe the key isn't only for Opening locks, but can be used to create them as well?

Yeah, stealing her robes probably goes almost exactly like stealing her cowl.

... maybe the new identity is different, though.

You are no longer known as "The Last Dragonborn: Vanquisher of Alduin, Liberator of Solstheim, and Savior of the Sun", but instead, as "The Grey Vixen: the Sluttiest Slut in all Nirn" (Even if you're male; there might be a player.sexchange involved, or there might not)

The effect is that people expect to be able to have sex with you whenever they want, and won't even ask, they'll just walk up and say "give me a blowjob", or just grab you, pull off your clothes, and stick it in.

Honestly? I mostly have posted this because I never felt right having the robes come in on a mod, they're Nocturnes robes...

I always wanted them...

from the source.

Maybe my original idea has its flaws, but honestly, show of hands, who here wants to best the Daedric imbodiment of thievery by stealing its projected knickers? I know I do. I think the route I like best at this juncture is using the key against its owner, because, as said, that key is probably the most powerful artifact the dragonborn has held. Using it in the sepulcher, the DRAGONBORN able to slay the first dragon without the key now wields it against its creator? There's got to be an interesting direction to go with That!

At the end of the day, what makes those robes so desirable isn't that they're the chosen attire of a Daedric prince(ss), it's that they're pretty sexy, as far as vanilla Skyrim outfits go. I can't speak for the others, but in my mind, there was never any particular connection between those robes and Nocturnal herself, not any more than Sheogorath's colorful suit is particularly important to him. I don't think it's supposed to be the same thing as the fabled Gray Cowl, seeing as that one was stolen ages ago and seems to keep popping up across Tamriel.

Honestly? I mostly have posted this because I never felt right having the robes come in on a mod, they're Nocturnes robes...

I always wanted them...

from the source.

Maybe my original idea has its flaws, but honestly, show of hands, who here wants to best the Daedric imbodiment of thievery by stealing its projected knickers? I know I do. I think the route I like best at this juncture is using the key against its owner, because, as said, that key is probably the most powerful artifact the dragonborn has held. Using it in the sepulcher, the DRAGONBORN able to slay the first dragon without the key now wields it against its creator? There's got to be an interesting direction to go with That!

I may understand that... and as carnifex pointed out I also think most people are intrigued with her robes due to it being pretty sexy as far as vanilla skyrim goes (So yeah, among the base  we've tavern, some fur, forsworn,  ancient nord, falmer, savior's hide and nocturnal robes showing any amount of skin). 

I can understand your idea from role-play point of view with current mods which provide the robes for player use... lacking any story or reasoning in obtaining them. Your idea is to place some merit and goal in obtaining them... which adds content and play-ability to the game...

What I would suggest however...  In my mind, the daedric princess of darkness, the night and luck is extremely powerful and knowledgeable as such recognizes the power of the dragonborn among mortals... The mistress of the night and shadows being patron of the thieves guild would wish fealty, promise, oath and in-turn control of such a hero/heroin. After-all, this is the nightingale who restored the key to the Evergloom.

Demeaning as it may seem, like a stern mother "See that the key remains." as nocturnal commands, and the promise of protecting the Twilight Sepulcher is not quite enough, After the Sepulcher is restored Nocturnal foresees much more potential so the PC is in her mind a tool or worshiper in sense, a candidate to be a quasi-priestess. So obtaining the garment, is actually a plan devised by Nocturnal herself - for both her amusement and personal means to an end. Thus the pc obtaining the robes more of a test and pledge of contract.. such rewards not only the robes, but commits the PC to the mistress along with a form servitude...

Scope: Sometime after the Sepulcher reopened the PC is summoned or guidely stumbles upon a ritual scene akin that described in Purloined Shadows... and required  to participate within it, the pc and witches drink, strip and dance by light of the moon and as the Mistress of darkness appears disrobes and they prostate themselves upon the ground as total darkness envelopes them, within the darkness the pc seeks opportunity to obtain the robes - does so - and she acquires them and makes a hasty get-away...  However... The first time the pc  dons the robes Nocturnal appears under a veil of twilight, and commends the PC "I knew you would do my bidding well little nightingale, surrender to my will and my darkness shall embrace you for evermore." 

So the robes shall grant the wearer some perk to sneaking or invisibility from other mortals - only under night - but as such the wearer must amuse Nocturnal on occasion while under this veil by stealing the seeds of mankind - enticing mere mortals sexually.

Archived