dreamtourist's Body by Race Mod

dreamtourist

I did that' date=' and the child and adult Argonians share the same mesh because of how its set up.

Is it possible to create a new ARMA JUST for Argonian and Khajiit children with different bodies?

I made a copy of the nakedtorsoArgonian Arma and named it something like "nakedtorsoArgonianchild" and added my Argonian child race to it, but it didn't exactly work.

I bet there's a lot more to it than what I'm trying to do...

[/quote']

If you want the beast childs to use meshes from a different location then the default. All you need to do, is change the nif they use in the ARMAs. If you want them to use textures from a different location as well, you'll have to make a new Texture Set and add it into their ARMA.

I'm pretty sure I did all that, but it also changed the adults.

Can I simply copy their ARMA and rename it and do it that way? The texture shows up invisible on the child version either way. I've got to leave in around 14 minutes, but I'll be back in a few hours.

Thanks for bearing with me through all this

EDIT:

I'm back. Ok, is it possible to make a child Argonian race without replacing textures of vanilla children from your mod?

As far as I can tell, it either:

1. Makes argonians and argonian children share the same mesh

or

2. Change the texture of all female children so female argonian children work

Is there a way to make a new ARMA so it doesn't conflict with everything and make them a new race?

And again, thanks for bearing with me with all this

I'm pretty sure I did all that' date=' but it also changed the adults.

Can I simply copy their ARMA and rename it and do it that way? The texture shows up invisible on the child version either way. I've got to leave in around 14 minutes, but I'll be back in a few hours.

Thanks for bearing with me through all this

EDIT:

I'm back. Ok, is it possible to make a child Argonian race without replacing textures of vanilla children from your mod?

As far as I can tell, it either:

1. Makes argonians and argonian children share the same mesh

or

2. Change the texture of all female children so female argonian children work

Is there a way to make a new ARMA so it doesn't conflict with everything and make them a new race?

And again, thanks for bearing with me with all this

[/quote']

Yes, if you want your argonian kids to use a different folder for their nifs(meshes).

SkinNakedBeast & NakedTorsoArgonian example:

-You need to have argonian kids race selected at the top of the ARMA, add only their vampire version to "additional races" if you've also made that.

-Change the location of used nifs for female/males. Remember to make the folder in DATA and have those files there.

-Change the skin texture they use, if you have an new alternate one set up for them.

-Rename and save the new ARMA, make sure to add it to the ARMO with the argonian kids race selected at it's top.

-Make sure both adult and kid versions are using the correct ARMA in their side of the ARMO, then save the ARMO.

-Skin Texture(TextureSet under Miscellaneous), open SkinBodyFemaleArgonian and change the used dds to the ones you want your kid argonians to use.

-Rename,save and add it to the kid's ARMA for torso.

Thats the routine for making new races use their own meshes&textures.

None of these changes will affect their adult counterpart. Only the New Race will be affected.

Unfortunately, to make the new race display armors&clothing. You will have to open up all those ARMAs and add it to their "additional races" section. Otherwise, you'll get nudie lizards no matter what their wearing.

I've been adding race specific armors in one by one, but one question I have is what to do about the 2 nifs?

In most mods there's a *_0.nif and a *_1.nif ...but in the ARMA, you can only select on mesh file. So I've been selecting the *_1.nif and it is replacing them but what I'm I missing? The two meshes are supposed to be the extreme ends of the wieght slider right? So how do I get that to work?

Yes' date=' if you want your argonian kids to use a different folder for their nifs(meshes).

SkinNakedBeast & NakedTorsoArgonian example:

-You need to have argonian kids race selected at the top of the ARMA, add only their vampire version to "additional races" if you've also made that.

-Change the location of used nifs for female/males. Remember to make the folder in DATA and have those files there.

-Change the skin texture they use, if you have an new alternate one set up for them.

-Rename and save the new ARMA, make sure to add it to the ARMO with the argonian kids race selected at it's top.

-Make sure both adult and kid versions are using the correct ARMA in their side of the ARMO, then save the ARMO.

-Skin Texture(TextureSet under Miscellaneous), open SkinBodyFemaleArgonian and change the used dds to the ones you want your kid argonians to use.

-Rename,save and add it to the kid's ARMA for torso.

Thats the routine for making new races use their own meshes&textures.

None of these changes will affect their adult counterpart. Only the New Race will be affected.

Unfortunately, to make the new race display armors&clothing. You will have to open up all those ARMAs and add it to their "additional races" section. Otherwise, you'll get nudie lizards no matter what their wearing.

[/quote']

Ok, I finally got it working, thanks for all the help!

I kept it in a text file in case I need to fix it or add a new race later.

Can you add some redundancy please? Set the custom textures to a higher priority and leave the default 'NakedTorso' set to all races. So if you have a race that you'd like to just use the default file path, you won't get a missing texture.

Also, is there a problem with the Orc race? I got a custom body working for it, but the hand textures always seem to screw up.

I've been adding race specific armors in one by one' date=' but one question I have is what to do about the 2 nifs?

In most mods there's a *_0.nif and a *_1.nif ...but in the ARMA, you can only select on mesh file. So I've been selecting the *_1.nif and it is replacing them but what I'm I missing? The two meshes are supposed to be the extreme ends of the wieght slider right? So how do I get that to work?

[/quote']

As far as I know, just using _1 in the ARMA seems to magically make it work.

Great Mod' date=' thanks! Is it possible for me to specify that the child males use the vanilla model or a specific custom? The mini adult males are creeping me out :P

[/quote']

Use vanilla kids version of CustomBody or open up the adult version in CK, and switch the males to use vanilla body&headparts.

This whole thread, has all the tutorials you'll need.

Let me know if you run into a problem.

Can you add some redundancy please? Set the custom textures to a higher priority and leave the default 'NakedTorso' set to all races. So if you have a race that you'd like to just use the default file path' date=' you won't get a missing texture.

Also, is there a problem with the Orc race? I got a custom body working for it, but the hand textures always seem to screw up.

[/quote']

Yes, I know what your describing.

The reason I didn't include it is because, it's a nuisance when your testing your custom meshes & textures for a race.

It's alot faster and easier, to spot invisible body parts then differances in meshes/textures.

You can achieve the same result, by keeping the vanilla meshes & textures readied in an archive.

If you really want it in your CustomBody, open it up in CK:

-Goto ArmorAddon, and open NakedTorso, NakedFeet and NakedHands.

-Add all the missing races to their "additional races" section and save em.

-Next, goto Armor and open SkinNaked.

-Use the race at the top to flip thru all the races you added before. Add NakedTorso, NakedFeet and NakedHands to their used ARMAs.

-Open the ARMAs they already had, and change those to have a priority of 1, instead of 0.

-Save the SkinNaked ARMO when your done.

Thats all it takes.

As for Orcs, no there shouldn't be a problem. Only difference they have with the other races that I know of, is to do with walk anims.

I've already done that in my copy of your mod, as well as added Orc's custom body. It would just feel much more official if you did it.

EDIT*

I'm actually having an issue, no matter how much I play with the priority "NakedTorso,Hands,Feet" always take priority over all the other races. Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a question Dreamtourist, I have added Orcs and Beasts to your mod and was wondering if I could put it up for download. I'm making an Apparel by Race mod that works independently with yours but complements it. This is a great mod that I think everyone should use and it should become the standard for body replacement. I would hate to see this die. Oh, I also fixed the Orc females to use female animations.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so i went ahead and did it myself.

There's still some work to be done. If anyone is interested, i'm happy to share my data. I'm hesitant to release what i have anywhere, even as strictly a modder's resource, simply because of the massive amount of modders i would need to get permission from.

I feel like i'm in a relay race, started by Dreamtourist and Rain-the-wallflower, with the baton passed to 4udik, to Illuminati, god-knows-who-else, and myself. I'm ready to pass it along, i think.

My current setup is working amazingly well. I have:

Race-specific meshes, textures, and skeletons.

Body-mod-specific armors/clothes.

Tweaked heights.

Two custom races.

No grey faces.

But.

My file structure is a little all-over-the-place and not particularly fit for public consumption. In the hands of another modder, the esp would probably be fine, though.

I do have an archive that bundles up my esp and all relevant meshes and textures, if anyone is particularly interested. It's...a large archive.

• 2 months later...

Hey, first of all I would like to thank both dreamtourist and angelmeats for all their hard work puttin this together and explaining how to make unique bodies and armors based on race work, I managed to put this all together and it works fine.

But I found myself a problem when I decided to vary npc even further by assigning different face/lips/brows textures. For some reasons skyrim doesnt load all the textures, for example, if i set pc as an imperial, all female npcs will start using lips and makeup assigned for imperials, regarding their race. Of course, setnpcweight fixes it and makes the npc reset to their own textures, but still.. Is there any workaround for this?

for example' date=' if i set pc as an imperial, all female npcs will start using lips and makeup assigned for imperials, regarding their race. Of course, setnpcweight fixes it and makes the npc reset to their own textures, but still.. Is there any workaround for this?

[/quote']

You may want to create custom form lists for your new brows/etc and only include the races that should be using them.

for example' date=' if i set pc as an imperial, all female npcs will start using lips and makeup assigned for imperials, regarding their race. Of course, setnpcweight fixes it and makes the npc reset to their own textures, but still.. Is there any workaround for this?

[/quote']

You may want to create custom form lists for your new brows/etc and only include the races that should be using them.

Yeah, I dit that.. It just looks like a bug in the game itself.. I mean whenever you switch your race using showracemenu, the surrounding npcs switch their makeup textures to the race you picked in showracemenu. Using the setnpcweight or leaving/reentering the cell fixes it though..

I find the most significant problem issue is trying to create a new character (like Helgen when starting a new "vanilla" game), or simply editing an existing character outdoors. The potentially tremendous variety of custom textures in use, in addition to the scenery textures, chokes the game's engine to death, usually resulting in a CTD.

I believe it's because most of the vanilla scenery textures are reused over and over again, all over Tamriel, so the game tries to render as far as the visual settings allow, and then the distant textures on top of that. Usually just lowering the screen resolution as far as feasibly possible until after character creation (and getting indoors), generally bypasses this problem, after which you can set everything back to normal.

The BBPBBR mod I created a few weeks back uses 10 different bodies, all with numerically assigned indexes, so bodies can easily be swapped around between the races.

For armors though, it isn't really feasible because even though meshes are generally small in size, when you start stacking them up by race/body type (and then expanding that further with custom races), it starts to grow the mesh folder exponentially, eventually equaling or surpassing the texture folder in file size. It's simply too much for the engine to render reasonably, so it just quits and dumps you to the desktop.

I'm currently looking into an alternative to the vanilla Helgen, by perhaps putting a secondary Helgen into it's own worldspace. Currently it's a child cell of Tamriel. If I can manage to trigger the script that destroys vanilla Helgen once you enter the Keep, then it's just a single line to place into the Skyrim.ini to make it indistinguishable from the vanilla start. If I can manage that, then loading more meshes/textures will be much less of a problem.

Trykz

Yeah, maybe I went too far with the amount of meshes/textures the game has to load.

Currently running on 7 bodies with its own skeletons and textures (+vanilla for kids/beast races),3 brows/lips/upper eye socket/eyeliner sets (+vanilla) and 7 sets of clothing replacers, one for every body type (+vanilla). Haven't started with armors yet.

Yeah' date=' maybe I went too far with the amount of meshes/textures the game has to load.

Currently running on 7 bodies with its own skeletons and textures (+vanilla for kids/beast races),3 brows/lips/upper eye socket/eyeliner sets (+vanilla) and 7 sets of clothing replacers, one for every body type (+vanilla). Haven't started with armors yet.

[/quote']

It's doable if you set things up right.

Like using a single texture set for more than one body, such as CBBEv3+CHSBHC+Numenume+Mak and UNP+UNPB. The main issues arise when you start including stuff that can't share texture sets. Like ADEC or Lady Body.

The way my setup works is each body folder path (mesh and texture folder names MUST match) is assigned a numerical index:

Body01 meshes:

Data/meshes/actors/character/character assets/femalebody01/ <--- into which I place the CBBEv3 body

Body02 meshes: (these never change)

Data/meshes/actors/character/character assets/femalebody02/ <--- into which I place the CHSBHC body

Body01/2/3/4 textures: (these never change)

Data/textures/actors/character/femalebody01/2/3/4 <--- into which I place CBBE/CHSBHC/Numenume/Mak compatible textures

I then do the same with normal UNP and UNPB, indexing them at #'s 5 and 6 (and they never change either).

Keeping ADEC at number 7, Lady Body at number 8 and so on, I can swap bodies between the races at will on the race form, by simply creating new armo and arma forms in the CK, assigning them the proper mesh/texture index, and then switching the body type on the race form itself.

skinnakedfeet01 arma is shared by bodies 1 through 4

skinnakedfeet02 arma is shared by bodies 5 and 6

same with skinnakedhands01 and 02

The only difference being the torso arma containing the body mesh for each body type

Never moving the bodies and only changing the body armo index on the race form is a LOT easier than swapping bodies around and trying to keep track, and there's no need for swapping meshes between races, since you're just reusing the same Body.esp by saving over it after every swap.

The armo form for each body holds the data for that body's meshes, and each arma form points to the individual meshes and texture sets.

Body 1 and 2 will always share the same texture set regardless of what races are using them. Same with bodies 3 and 4. And ALL bodies will utilize whatever customization mods you have installed in the vanilla folders, such as eyes, brows, hair, lips, etc..

And you only need to keep a current index of what body is at which index number. The Body.esp will direct and redirect specific bodies to specific races each time you change them on the race form, with no need to ever move a single mesh or texture set.

You can leave vanilla NPCs in vanilla clothing/armor (which almost covers the entire body anyway), and only use custom clothing/armor on your characters to keep things looking nice in the world, without blowing the mesh and texture folders up too much with excessive amounts of vanilla clothing/armor.

Trykz

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, between adding in the custom body-types to the dummy data folder structure, using the bodyslide to edit the nifs, editing the settings in the CK for custom texture usage and the armor usage configurability....

This is the ULTIMATE NPC MOD!!!

Wow, I haven't even installed any of it yet and I'm just flabbergasted!

The custom configurability of this mod is just frickin stupefying!

I can literally do ANYTHING with this, PS6, the CK and Bodyslide!

If I could hug you I would...wow.

Dreamtourist...you are the FRICKIN MAN!!!!

• 2 months later...

Archived