Can't even get the thing to install

background:

So I got oblivion goty on a steam sale, since I can't get the DLC any more and I didn't save them. I have the original game on DVD plus SI as well.

Then I found out that steam royally screwed over modding oblivion.   I figured in that case I'd keep the DLC etc and just install my original oblivion from the DVD.

Issue:

I put the dvd in, tried to install. When install shield gets 25% of the way through loading it quits, no error Just quits.

I copied the installation files to my HDD and tried again, same thing.

I tried getting it to run with admin, same thing.

I tried disabling my AV, same problem.

Tried compatibility settings, same issue.

Oblivion set up refuses to load.

I am on windows 7 64bit.

I would rather not have to purchase oblivion a third time because frankly that will be taking the piss.

Anyone know of any possible solutions?

Modding with Steam is perfectly fine.  You just have to read the notes on how to run obse and how to archive invalidate.  If steam games could not be modded then Fallout New Vegas would be fucked.........

Go back to the steam version and read the obse instructions and mod away.

I've tried every method online to get custom bodies to work, no success so sod the steam version.

I am using Mod Organiser. I'm not going to use oblivion mod manager or nexus if I can help it because Mod Organisers use of individual directories for mods lets me instantly go back to an vanilla install and quickly deactivate mods without the annoyance of waiting for installs and uninstalls is an absolute must to work out what mods are causing conflicts and crashes.

OBSE runs fine, I got that working as I used blockhead for the character overhaul.

However the issue I was having was custom bodies, I could not get them to work at all.

After seeing http://www.loverslab.com/topic/8423-i-thought-i-was-done-with-archive-invalidation/ I figured I'd use a non-steam version.

Ok so I got oblivion to install... but not in the way it should....

I'm running the DvD set up, the install shield starts, disappears and then under processes there is a *.tmp file that under desc is called setup.exe and it installs oblivion into the default location, it won't let me alter it. I don't remember it doing that when I installed oblivion the last time.

Hmm.

... Why aren't you using Wrye Bash? Save profiles allow you to have as many mod lists as you like.

Sooooo for example you can use a "Vanilla" save profile, and a "Fully modded" profile, an "Experimental" profile and whatever other profile you want.

And no, without archive invalidate there are no custom bodies. So pick your poison.

Oh, and there's no reason you can't download OBMM\TESMM just for the archive invalidate then never use it again ever. That's pretty much what I did.

... Why aren't you using Wrye Bash? Save profiles allow you to have as many mod lists as you like.

Sooooo for example you can use a "Vanilla" save profile, and a "Fully modded" profile, an "Experimental" profile and whatever other profile you want.

And no, without archive invalidate there are no custom bodies. So pick your poison.

Oh, and there's no reason you can't download OBMM\TESMM just for the archive invalidate then never use it again ever. That's pretty much what I did.

I tried OBMM for its invalidate and it didn't work.

Well, given that OBMM's been working for years you have two choices: Get it to work, or give up on mods that replace meshes and textures.

I really don't understand how you want us to help you. There is no magic solution that will suddenly make things work unless you tell us WHY it didn't work. WHAT was the error message you got. What SETTINGS you used.

Saying "It doesn't work" doesn't help anyone, least of all you.

The install shield starts to load up the installation process for oblivion, then closes. At first I thought it was auto quitting because of some weird windows 7 64bit issue working with an older game, however looking at my processes it seems to be using a temp file as the setup.exe to install oblivion in the background without any option to accept the EULA, change the installation directory.

It it supposed to load up the "Welcome to the install shield wizard for oblivion" thing and then let me accept the EULA and then change the installation directory if I so choose. It doesn't do that.

I'll go ask on an actual tech support forum, sorry for any inconvenience.

Hope you know what you are doing.

Uninstall Oblivion before new Installation ! Not only press the uninstall button ! Delete the remaining files in your game Folder (best delete the whole Folder )

And delete the Oblivion Folder in Documents\My Games\Oblivion (INI and save files) at least the INI

A new Installation does not overwrite existing files.

New Installation:

Do not install Oblivion in the folder specified by the Installation ( C:\ programfiles (x86) \.....   ), Change it, best not in C: (if your Windows crashed/virus and you must delete whole C all your mods are gone). Problem are the fucking administrator rights, some Oblivion programs do not work right with the standart Folder, or you have Problems to overwrite files,......

Some people have  posted they have problems with OBSE when Oblivion is in the standart Folder.

Also not Steam in the "standart" Folder (Best not C)

Install Steam in Different Locations https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7710-tdlc-0426

I also use/have windows 7 64bit and installed Oblivion DVD Version about a month ago without Problems. ( Game in E: and "Documents\My Games\Oblivion in I:  and OMods in H:  ! Nothing in C: )

( Skyrim and Steam in E, also no Problems)

set "archive invalidate" in the OblivionModmanager  http://www.loverslab.com/topic/15185-xeo-sp/?view=findpost&p=496940

Or use WryeBash ( I don't use WryeBash)  see  gregathit's post

Steam

OBSE 21: Copy obse_1_2_416.dll, obse_editor_1_2.dll, obse_steam_loader.dll and the Data folder  to your Oblivion Directory

OBSE 20 : Copy obse_1_2_416.dll, obse_editor_1_2.dll, obse_steam_loader.dll to your Oblivion Directory

Sart your game with the  original Oblivion.exe ! Ensure you have enabled the Steam ! see  OBSE readme.

If it still does not work shoot your ComputerOr grant him a 1 minute Ultimatum. "Work or die ! "

yea I have revo uninstaller pro to root out all the stuff the uninstaller misses.

Right now im going to retry steam, I had to redownload it but thankfully it didn't take too long.

The issue with the folder situation is that I can't actually alter it. I'm getting odd behaviour from oblivions installation process from the DVD. It is meant to load up the install wizard and then let you tailor the install. Mine however doesn't show the wizard and just installs everything default without ever popping up the window.

As you can see from the initial post I didn't think it was working at all and then suddenly I had the oblivion readme.txt and my SSD was 4gb free space smaller. That is the issue I'm tryin to fix.  What was really aggravating me to the point of throwing my PC of the window was I had gone through all the admin rights, compat settings, tried to remove install shields data to force it to redo everything from scratch etc, and nothing worked. That means its something really specific and uncommon.

I'm going to try a clean boot and see if it is a 3rd party program messing with the installer.

edit: and that didn't work either, well im out of ideas and so are my tech support buddies. Bollocks :(

This is really strange. Normally with the DVD Version the "select install Folder" not appears only if there are still files from the old Installation, so the old install path is used.

Ok your Computer had his chance "Work or die ! " He chose to die.

post-3205-0-75887000-1408384978_thumb.jpg

Archived