I thought I was done with Archive Invalidation

I played Oblivion from the day it was released until Skyrim's arrival, with a few brief pauses. When I discovered Exnem's EyeCandy body mod and all the great clothes that were released, it took a little bit of fiddling but I got the mods to work. My girl looked hot and I even got the Japanese sex mod to work with TESO. This was before I found the Lovers mod.

Meanwhile, my old PC crashed hard (motherboard failure) and I've installed the bargain version from Steam (same game with expansions, but cheaper than I paid for the original Oblivion).

I'm running OBMM and I've tried using the OBMM Archive Invalidation to no avail. I've manually edited Oblivion.ini and all the redirection and all the suggestions in the Oblivion Mods FAQ, one at a time, and still no good. The ArchiveInvalidationInvalidated mod doesn't work for me, either. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling but nothing matters.

What does work: I'm using Cazy's hair. It works fine. Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul appears to work, but I deactivated it until I can get the body to load.

I downloaded the high rez textures for HGEC but I'm still wearing underwear :(

I'm about at my wit's end. The only thing left that might be a problem is that I'm using the Steam version of Oblivion, but I have a hard time believing that's the problem.

If any of you have any new suggestions I could try, I would appreciate it more than you could know. I'm sick of seeing my beautiful character in B-cups wearing dirty underwear!

NOTHING WORKS! :(

What body mod did you install?

If you are just installing textures then that is not going to help you since there is no mesh for them to show up on.

If you are going to use the HGEC hi rez textures then first install this: http://oblivion.nexusmods.com/mods/34442 and then install the HGEC hi rez textures. Then archive invalidate via bsa redirection and start a new game and enjoy the nakedness. :)

yes, I know textures require .nif meshes. I installed Exnem's EyeCandy mod then the hi-rez textures to go with it.

http://www.fileplanet.com/176514/170000/fileinfo/Elder-Scrolls-IV:-Oblivion---Female-EyeCandy-v1.0

However, I tried to install it into an existing game where I've gone through the prison cell, the King's death and the sewers.

I didn't know I had to start a new game - I don't remember having to do that with my old install and I got BBB to work?

yes' date=' I know textures require .nif meshes. I installed Exnem's EyeCandy mod then the hi-rez textures to go with it.

http://www.fileplanet.com/176514/170000/fileinfo/Elder-Scrolls-IV:-Oblivion---Female-EyeCandy-v1.0

However, I tried to install it into an existing game where I've gone through the prison cell, the King's death and the sewers.

I didn't know I had to start a new game - I don't remember having to do that with my old install and I got BBB to work?

[/quote']

Started a new game and nothing's changed.

I'm about out of ideas here. This Archive Invalidation bug in oblivion may be the most annoying legacy of the game (aside from infinite, repetitive Oblivion gates). I didn't have this problem in Morrowind, Fallout 3/NV or Skyrim.

Well, let's back up here. I tried your link but couldn't pull up the mod. I don't think exem's meshes are compatible with HGEC textures so that could be part of the problem.

The question I should have asked you first is where is your steam installed and what OS are you running? If Vista or Win7 and you let steam install to the default location then you could be fighting UAC. Best thing is to move steam out of the program files directory and save yourself all the headaches. You can actually move your games without having to reinstall all of them. Here is a link telling you how: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129

I recommend C:\games\steam\ or even a different drive is fine.

You typically do have to start a new game to see many of the changes - especially with esp driven changes.

Did you try the body mod in the link I gave you earlier? If you use it along with growlf's universal skeleton and a BBB animation set like NoMaam or pretty woman then you will have your nakedness and BBB all in one fell swoop.

Well' date=' let's back up here. I tried your link but couldn't pull up the mod. I don't think exem's meshes are compatible with HGEC textures so that could be part of the problem.

The question I should have asked you first is where is your steam installed and what OS are you running? If Vista or Win7 and you let steam install to the default location then you could be fighting UAC. Best thing is to move steam out of the program files directory and save yourself all the headaches. You can actually move your games without having to reinstall all of them. Here is a link telling you how: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129

I recommend C:\games\steam\ or even a different drive is fine.

You typically do have to start a new game to see many of the changes - especially with esp driven changes.

Did you try the body mod in the link I gave you earlier? If you use it along with growlf's universal skeleton and a BBB animation set like NoMaam or pretty woman then you will have your nakedness and BBB all in one fell swoop.

[/quote']

My copy of Steam has been installed to a custom games directory for several years.

I'm using Win7 It's a new PC and one of the first things I did was turn off UAC. I'm an advanced enough user that I don't want Microsoft making any decisions for me :)

I chose Exnem (it's actually the HGEC Eyecandy variant) because everything I read mentioned mod conflicts with BBB. I believe it was BBB I used in my old Oblivion install before the big crash, but I also remember having a problem getting certain types of armor to look right.

This is the mod I'm using (sorry about the link before): http://oblivion.nexusmods.com/mods/15802/

Yes, I saw your link but I'm already using those textures.

Maybe it's time for me to uninstall all over again. Such a PITA, but after that I'm going to try a different body mod I think and just avoid HGEC as it does not seem to want to work no matter what I do.

I am not aware of any mod conflicting with BBB so I don't know what your referring to there. Some armors that are in mods may not support bbb but all that means is the armor/clothing won't bounce. It doesn't have any other drawbacks.

I recommend the body mod in the prior post as I know that it does work and that it does support bbb.

The body mod that you are trying to use is one that has no esp (which is fine), so it depends on you installing the meshes and textures to correct locations and archive invalidating via BSA-redirection. Failing to have both meshes and textures in the correct locations, causes the archive invalidation to fail and you won't see any of the changes. I strongly recommend you switch to the bbb HGEC body mod I gave in post 2 as it is a much later version of the same thing (the one you linked to was last updated in 2009).

Thanks, Greg. Most of the things you're talking about I've already done, including about 3 different methods of archive invalidation (I'm an expert on opening and editing oblivion.ini by now as well as using the OBMM invalidation). I even wondered if it had something to do with Steam, but running the .exe directly offline didn't change a thing.

I'll give your mod a try tonight. Maybe the dates matter more than i thought.

Thanks' date=' Greg. Most of the things you're talking about I've already done, including about 3 different methods of archive invalidation (I'm an expert on opening and editing oblivion.ini by now as well as using the OBMM invalidation). I even wondered if it had something to do with Steam, but running the .exe directly offline didn't change a thing.

I'll give your mod a try tonight. Maybe the dates matter more than i thought.

[/quote']

No problem. The only issue you should have with a steam version is in installing/using OBSE. That is easily resolved with following the instructions in the OBSE install instructions readme.

Hope that gets you working!

That mod doesn't work either. The EyeCandy body mesh it includes was already installed before. I deleted the old one and installed this newer one.

There are no instructions included in the download. There is no OBSE included in the mod. The OMOD version wouldn't work for me either ("central directory not found") so I manually replaced the .NIF and textures. Removed previous Archive Invalidation and re-ran "ArchiveInvalidationInvalidated!" again.

I've tried a couple of experiments running Oblivion offline and launching it from the exe. I double-checked folder trees and my version of .NET 64-bit. I find nothing wrong. My Skyrim installation is also through Steam and occupies the folder tree directly next to Oblivion, and the body and armor mods I've installed for Skyrim work just fine.

I'm beginning to think Oblivion is mad at me for not playing in a long time :(

EDIT: I found the newest version of OBSE and followed the instructions for Steam installation. As i suspected, this is not a script issue. It may be a steam issue, but mainly it's a mesh/texture issue.

Archive invalidated is an outdated utility that should not be used anymore if you are talking about this one: http://oblivion.nexusmods.com/mods/10724

Completely uninstall that mod if you have used it as the methods it uses are no longer ideal. Instead use OBMM to do all your archive invalidation.

If the OMOD did not function correctly it sounds like part of your problem may be OBMM. I recommend uninstalling it and then reinstall it again. Link: http://oblivion.nexusmods.com/mods/2097 (I hope you are not using the Nexus Mod Manager!)

There are no instructions inside the mod because they are all in the OMOD (which functions kind of like an exe through OBMM). OBSE will not be included in any plugin and if it is then don't install it. OBSE should always be obtained from the silver lock website to make sure you have the latest version.

Remember you also will need growlf's universal skeleton (the controllable version) as well as an animation set that includes BBB to see breasts bounce. NoMaam's animation set is a very good one for that and it can be found at the nexus along with growlf's universal skeleton.

I only used ArchiveInvalidated as yet another of the many methods to get my mods to show up. OBMM didn't work and neither did various manual methods. The good news is that it's easy to undo in oblivion.ini. It's now been removed.

I also uninstalled OBMM and downloaded a fresh copy. Same version number as i was using, and I activated the redirection utility in that program.

Installed Growlf's universal skeleton and NoMaam's animation set.

NOTHING WORKED.

The only other thing I can think of to try is to just uninstall the Steam version and try to find one that doesn't use Steam. I used to have the Oblivion CDs here but the CD fairy seems to have stolen them all.

If that doesn't work, I'm done with oblivion forever. Too many other games to play to spend this much time fussing with a stupid mod just to play the way I wanted. :(

Yea, something is definitely upside down with things somewhere on your end. It may be something simple or something that has never been encountered yet - hard to say. I have not seen anyone have such a difficult time with the steam version so I don't know what else to tell you.

I wish you the best of luck as there really are some fabulous mods for oblivion.

I'm very pleased to report that I was finally able to get the HGEC BBB body mod to work.

I first tried using Steammover to move only the Oblivion folder to C:\Games, but that just kept Oblivion from working.

So, I ordered the GOY edition of Oblivion from Amazon for about $20, then had to wait all weekend for it to arrive.

Removed my Steam version completely, then installed from CD. Added OBMM and went to work.

Haven't added any of the custom clothes for the body yet, but that will come with time.

Whatever the problem was, I'm leaning towards blaming Steam. I have lots of Skyrim and F:NV mods that I run through Steam without this problem so I don't know what conclusion to draw. I'm just happy it works now.

Great news!!!! Now to spend the next month modding the crap out of your game.....:)

On a serious note - be sure to make periodic backups of your game after installing a couple of things and never install more than a couple of mods at one time without testing in between.

Great news!!!! Now to spend the next month modding the crap out of your game.....:)

On a serious note - be sure to make periodic backups of your game after installing a couple of things and never install more than a couple of mods at one time without testing in between.

If I've learned nothing else from this past month of hair-ripping frustration, this is it.

That's what my 2TB USB drive is for :)

Now I want to find a good pair of thigh high boots for BBB. The HGEC Boots I installed are about 1 size too small for my body.

Archived