is it worth cleaning dirty edits?

squall1151

hi i was just playing skyrim and i got a dtc im not suprised, i do have alot of mods and my game is failry stable. but it does crash a fair bit but im not too botherd since i have so many mods i expect it. so im just wondering if there are some ways to make skyrim more stable.

Im not to sure what to do, i have seen a video by gopher. showing how to clean dirty edits, i also have it in boss saying about dirty edits.

is this worth doing? or is it safer to leave it?

thanks.

edit: also strange thing, but, does a manual save make skyrim more stable than a quick save? sometime when i load

my game it loads my manual saves but i get a ctd on quick save.

Clean them. Really.

if The game engine access a reference that a mod has since deleted, that's a guaranteed CTD right there.

Identical to Master edits just have the effect of undoing part of what a mod has done. They can make scenes and quests malfunction, but they won't crash the game. Still worth cleaning them, though.

Just don't clean Skyrim.esm!

Clean them. Really.

if The game engine access a reference that a mod has since deleted, that's a guaranteed CTD right there.

Identical to Master edits just have the effect of undoing part of what a mod has done. They can make scenes and quests malfunction, but they won't crash the game. Still worth cleaning them, though.

Just don't clean Skyrim.esm!

Ok thanks, ive just done it i hope there is a diffrence thanks alot.

Skyrim stability: from the ground up

http://wiki.step-project.com/STEP:2.2.9

As for cleaning masters, it depends on the master, some mods depend on the dirty edit to function.

If your still using BOSS, some of your CTDs are from load order issues, use LOOT instead.

I normally give out the link to download LOOT, but there is information on it in the link I gave you.

You might be surprised at some of the outdated mods and utilities you have.

Skyrim stability: from the ground up

http://wiki.step-project.com/STEP:2.2.9

As for cleaning masters, it depends on the master, some mods depend on the dirty edit to function.

If your still using BOSS, some of your CTDs are from load order issues, use LOOT instead.

I normally give out the link to download LOOT, but there is information on it in the link I gave you.

You might be surprised at some of the outdated mods and utilities you have.

Ok, thank toy very much ill look into LOOT.

i get CTD on quicksave loading SO OFTEN

so i will load a normal save, then after that the quicksave will load.

no idea why this is a thing.

how do i see these dirty edits? i'm not touching boss ever again after the clusterfuck that was my load order which it didn't ask me about, last time i ran it. i got loot but i'm not seeing any useful info from it.

Guest Omega1084

To add to what everyone else said, this is a helpful guide that completely removed all my CTD and ILS features.

I don't use the ENB though, because I don't like ENBs, but everything else is awesome.

www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/50244/

@DarkConsole: Open up Tes5Edit, select the mod you got a warning about Dirty Edits from and then right click and click on "Apply Filter for Cleaning" I believe.
It'll show you where the dirty edits are, after that you can look through and delete them or let it do it automatically, just be sure you know what you're doing otherwise it can get ugly. Always make backups just in case.

To add to what everyone else said, this is a helpful guide that completely removed all my CTD and ILS features.

I don't use the ENB though, because I don't like ENBs, but everything else is awesome.

www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/50244/

@DarkConsole: Open up Tes5Edit, select the mod you got a warning about Dirty Edits from and then right click and click on "Apply Filter for Cleaning" I believe.

It'll show you where the dirty edits are, after that you can look through and delete them or let it do it automatically, just be sure you know what you're doing otherwise it can get ugly. Always make backups just in case.

yeah cleaning these "dirty edits" almost sounds like a bad idea. for example, it says heartfires.esm is full of them. if a dirty edit is just an edit that overwrites a previous version, you'd basically be undoing any fixes that that may be applying yes?

[edit] while the dirty edit report from LOOT is nice, the load order it is suggesting is just as broke as BOSS was, imho. at least it is showing it to me before it actually does it. it took me over an hour to properly resort my esp's after last time.

Guest Omega1084

That's only true for the Unofficial patches. You can clean anything else except those and Skyrim.esm I believe but don't quote me on that since I'm not an expert.

That's only true for the Unofficial patches. You can clean anything else except those and Skyrim.esm I believe but don't quote me on that since I'm not an expert.

The official DLCs and Update.ESM should always be cleaned. But never Skyrim.ESM and the Unofficial patches, as you pointed out.

There's a good viedo tutorial for TES5Edit cleaning here.

TES5Edit, Wrye Bash, LOOT, and BOSS will all report whether the masters have dirty edits.

Just be careful to research each mod to determine if the dirty edits are intentional.

i.e. If the mod is from the Nexus (or has a version on the Nexus), they will usually state whether the master can be cleaned with TES5Edit.

LOOT isn't 100% correct, can remember the changes you make and make them persistent from the report window when you run it.

Just reordering them in Mod Organizer or NMM won't help much.

Making a Bashed Patch with the default settings is also a good way to stabilize the installation.

A really good habit to get into is the following sequence:

Run LOOT

Run TES5Edit against active mods

Rebuild Bashed Patch

Run GenerateFNISforUsers

Run any ReProccer patches (Dual Sheath Redux)

Regard any warnings or errors from the above as serious

EVERY time you update, add or remove mods.

Indeed. With self contained mods, editing dirty edits is   -->USUALLY<-- a good idea, but not always. For example, AFT has 6 dirty references. Now if you started a game after having cleaned it before playing, you'll never notice anything amiss.

However. If you clean it and then add it to an existing save, any interaction with the AFT menu will insta break skyrim, and fuck your save permanently.

Same for say, Apachii hair's NPC entries. The 160 errors? They're altered NPC records to fix the black face bug. If you fix them, your npcs' head will be black.

Feel free to clean the mods as you install them, but ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS make a back up.

Cause you'll need it.

Archived