Eve Online

Playing the game solo is murder. Both boring and deadly if you venture out of safe space. If you can find a decent corporation (guild) the game changes drastically though. Pvp in EVE can be extremely exhilarating as you have something to lose every time you start a fight (the ship you fly, any implants you might have and even skill points if you don't have a clone ready). The mechanics of the combat are perhaps not as fun as in an RPG or FPS, but the stakes change an otherwise dull affair into something quite different. 

I stopped playing years ago but I can still remember many of the fights I had. My first loss (ganked at a 0.4 gate before I knew what low-sec space was).  Getting my first Battle cruiser and losing it later the same day to a pair of pirates - my corpmates avenged me though. Flying through the space of one of the big bad alliances (BOB if anyone can remember them) in cruisers and frigates and shooting up lone stragglers. Camping some dudes in a station while our CEO's daughter taunted them for not daring to duel her...good times.

That said, EVE demands a lot more time commitment from a player than most games - which is why I stopped playing. 

Playing the game solo is murder. Both boring and deadly if you venture out of safe space. If you can find a decent corporation (guild) the game changes drastically though. Pvp in EVE can be extremely exhilarating as you have something to lose every time you start a fight (the ship you fly, any implants you might have and even skill points if you don't have a clone ready). The mechanics of the combat are perhaps not as fun as in an RPG or FPS, but the stakes change an otherwise dull affair into something quite different.

I stopped playing years ago but I can still remember many of the fights I had. My first loss (ganked at a 0.4 gate before I knew what low-sec space was). Getting my first Battle cruiser and losing it later the same day to a pair of pirates - my corpmates avenged me though. Flying through the space of one of the big bad alliances (BOB if anyone can remember them) in cruisers and frigates and shooting up lone stragglers. Camping some dudes in a station while our CEO's daughter taunted them for not daring to duel her...good times.

That said, EVE demands a lot more time commitment from a player than most games - which is why I stopped playing.

Since you mention it, what is low spec space?

Every solar system has a security rating (1.0-0.5 is highsec, 0.4-0.1 is lowsec and 0.0 is nullsec). In highsec you can't attack a player (unless he's a war-target, a criminal with a bounty or has attacked you in the past) without popo running at you with guns ablazin'.

In lowsec you won't get police protection, but crimes are still registered and you can't use the biggest ships there.

In nullsec anything goes.

Bear in mind I am writing from memory and I last checked out the game in 2009 (I think).

Ah, sec=security. Well, I'll stop when it gets boring. Kinda like WOW - every now and then I get an urge to visit Stormwind and sign up for a couple months.

Thanks for you help.

Training for me is the main thing. If you want to do mission running then gunnery/armour and ship skills is what you aim for. manufacturing then it's contracting/and social skills you need to concentrate on. basically choose want you want to do and be then concentrate on the appropriate skills sets to maximize. definitely not a solo game though joining a guild is a must when you're a noob.

http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Main_Page and http://eve.battleclinic.com/index.php will give the best indication of what eve is about though expect trolling and bitchiness at battle clinic

I expect trolling and bitchiness just about everywhere. This site is a rare exception to the norm. That's why I prefer to play solo even in mmo's. thanks for your help. :)

Some random tips:

* EVE University provides good teaching and you do not have to join EVE Uni to get to the classes.

* Listen to this podcast: http://highdrag.wordpress.com/2014/07/24/hd-38-a-noob-hope/

* Listen to this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1QQ7rVD8LE

* Really, listen that song and take heed of the advice. It is good. And should you ever get titan kill, please do funky chicken on the comms. It would be awesome.

* Do what you want and enjoy the game. It is not a job. It is a game to be enjoyed.

* If you want to have organized PvP,  but don't want to lose your freedom, join NPSI fleets (not purple, shoot it) like Spectre Fleet. They are not the only one, either. No diplomacy, no hassle. Just universe full of valid targets.

not my case, 14 € monthly fee is just too much. first you have to buy this game and then this high fee,

it reckon to times on a year, easy as 200 euros are due. no thanks.

I don't think you have to buy the actual game. I downloaded the client and started a trial account then gave them ten bucks for a month's game time because they were running a deal. They haven't asked me for any more money.

Wow. No, no big battles for me, although the scale of that is pretty amazing. My goal is to maximize speed and defensive counter measures so I can rabbit away from danger.

actually you can buy online time with ingame money. buy a plex ingame with earned ISK from mining or whatever at around 650 million to 750 million ISK and convert it. mining is the easiest ( and most boring) of achieving that. The top players find a way of using passive earnings like research and manufacturing so they don't rely on being online everyday

EVE Online is very addictive!  It is the ONLY MMO I keep thinking about trying again.  Good Fun, but pay close attention to your money and expenses, hard to earn, easy to loose. And definitely check out the EVE U, and the battleclinic.  Particularly ways to set up your HUD and how to hotkey a quick exit for your "survival egg" so you can skip away before some pirate decides to put a missle up your eggs A** and send you to the clone factory.