Estelles Apropos Utility (for; text overlay, quick text edits, TTS and F-F support) (v0.5, 2015-03-09)

estelles

latest version: EAU 0.5.7z

What's New in Version 0.5
-------------------------
v 0.5
-some updates to try and minimize the low fps problem some people were experiencing. skyrim now is the topmost and active window when no message is on screen.
- added a patch to remove the apropos notifications so you just see the ones in the overlay. (requires replacing some apropos script files).
- I made is so the text is now auto centered when changing the position and you can now change the font size and opacity with shortcuts. 
- I also added a short (or long depending on settings) fade in and out effect, of the text.
-------------------------

This is a utility program I wrote to add to the functionality of the awesome mod, Apropos, http://www.loverslab.com/topic/28123-apropos/

This utility started out as a autohotkey script, to allow for better readable text overlays for Apropos. So instead of the ingame notification messages, with it's sometimes unreadable speeds, you get a text which looks more like the subtitles during normal conversation.
It works by showing the texts in an always on top overlay window from a tray program which continually reads the apropos descriptions from the Apropos log file.

Later I added some extra features:
- it keeps a history of the last used lines in the game, and shows these in a list which allows these to be quickly opened in a text editor for editing.

- I added some text to speech functionality, which reads the apropos lines out loud with any voice you have installed on your system.

- wrote some functions to allow as of yet unsupported animations from apropos to work in the overlay, for now only FF.

- added JSON parser function to check for errors in database files.

here are some screenshots, 

post-236495-0-36694900-1404660362_thumb.png

post-236495-0-77136000-1404660372_thumb.png

getting it to work requires you so set some things up, in skyrim, apropos, and in its settings.ini file. This can be a bit tricky if you don't know what's what. so here's a 'way to in-depth'  guide:

Installation:

Extract all files into a folder, don't run from the zipfile:) 
if you want to use the option to turn off the apropos messages and only the ones from this, also unzip the apropos patch archive into your skyrim dir. or use NMM and overwrite files, or use MO. (btw. patch is for version 20141018 of apropos no idea if it will work in future/past versions)

Operation:

The program (Apropos Utility.exe) once started resides in your tray menu, it has a right click menu for some toggle settings, a link to the 'settings.ini' file and a 'Reload' option (use reload to apply any changes in the settings file). 'View history' or left clicking the tray icon will open the history and voice settings. And the Exit button exits the program.

Setting it up:

Text Overlay:

first off, to get the text overlay to work, you need to run skyrim in fullscreen windowed mode.

With 'onetweak', an skse plugin for borderless fullscreen, you hardly notice the difference between fullscreen windowed and fullscreen mode. http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/40706/? .
It also fixes the double mouse cursor problem and allows you to alt-tab in and out of the game without waiting ages. you have to set the BorderlessWindow = true flag in the onetweak.ini file for the overlay to work. (don't set skyrim to 'windowed' in the launcher, it's not necessary if you use onetweak)

to get my program to read the apropos logs, you need to do 4 things:

1. check if logging is enabled in the skyrim.ini file.

these lines should be present in your skyrim.ini (My Documents/My Games/Skyrim).

[Papyrus]

bEnableLogging=1
bEnableTrace=1

Afterward, after running the game, in that same folder you will see a new folder called Logs where your papyrus and apropos logs will be.

2. specify the path to the apropos log in the settings.ini file of this utility.

the Apropos.0.log file is stored in the 'user' sub directory of where your papyrus logs are. (or just search your pc for Apropos.0.log after you have run Apropos at least once with 'enable debug messages' enabled.)

; path to Apropos.0.log
logpath= C:\Users\*yourusername*\Documents\My Games\Skyrim\Logs\Script\User\Apropos.0.log

2. enable 'enable debug messages' in the Apropos MCM.

3. enable 'enable detailed trace messages' in the Apropos MCM.

4. There are 2 options depending on if you used the patch to disable apropos mesages:
   -no patch option) disable 'break messages into segments' in the Apropos MCM.
   -with patch option) enable 'break messages into segments' in the Apropos MCM, and set 'segment lenght' to 25 characters.
5. specify the path to the apropos log in the settings.ini file of this utility.

your settings should look like this:

post-236495-0-75722900-1425922275_thumb.jpg

* you can test the overlay by pressing, ctrl+alt+t,
* you can change the text location during the test by pressing, ctrl+shift+ {up / down / left / right - arrows}
* you can change font size with Ctrl+Shift+Alt + {up / down }
* you can change change opacity with Ctrl+Shift+Alt + {left / right}
* ctrl+shift+t toggles the overlay on and off, also during the game.
* there are a lot more settings for the text, such as displaytime, font styles, alignment, disable/change fading. etc. in the ini file. open it and read the comments. (change the font type to something else if you don't have Futura installed, or to match a font replacer in skyrim)

Text History:

To get the sentence history to work check these lines in settings.ini: 

1. enable the setting, 'searchfiles', it should be, searchfiles= 1;

2. add the path to your text editor .exe file, notepad_path=

I highly recommend notepad++, not just because it's the best, but also because if you use that, it looks up the specific line in each file instead of just opening the file

;notepad location ( use np++ for line lookup)
notepad_path= C:\Program Files (x86)\Notepad++\notepad++.exe

3. specify the directory of your apropos db, its in *skyrimpath*/data/apropos/db.  apropos_db= 

;apropos database path
apropos_db= C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\data\Apropos\db

* you can open the history by clicking the tray icon, or by pressing, ctrl+shift+o.

* you can check to see if you set the right ini settings for the notepad, db and log paths by clicking, 'open log file' and 'Synonyms file' in this window. These should both open in your specified text editor.

TTS:
to get text to speech to work:

1. have some text to speech voices installed, windows usually comes with some options. I recommend,  http://www.ivona.com/en/voices/ , because these sound great.
2. open the utility by clicking the tray icon, ignore the message, that voices don't exist.

3. change all voices on the right side to ones available on your system.

* you can toggle voices on and off, from the right click menu of the tray icon, or by pressing, ctrl+shift+v

* you can change voice volume up and down by pressing, ctrl+shift+ {- / =}

* check the ini file for more options, such as pitch, speech rate, volume offsets.

Any sentences starting with (You ...  ) will be said by femalevoice ( change female voice to a male voice if you play male char. ) any lines starting, with (....) will be said by male voice (same,  change to female voice if you play a male char.). all other lines by narrator. 
to force narrator, check 'always narrator' in the util. To change the narrator voice saying '(xxxx Says)' change, Xsays = 0 or 1, in the settings.ini.
to use voiced parts, you need a db with lines starting with the (you Say) / ({ACTIVE} says).
The one I use is in the download, all credits to decauk for the original lines. It still has a lot of errors, I'm sure. I try to correct them as I play.

Also this feature will break when the lesbian, gay, functions will be added to apropos, since {active} can by either gender, (I'll try to fix it when it's released)

Not working?:

The above covers all difficulties I could think off, but maybe I forgot something. I haven't tried it on any other install so let me know if it doesn't work as expected, and please attach your apropos.0.log file. it makes trouble shooting 10 times easier.

Credits:

gooser: for building the awesome Apropos Mod

decauk: for the huge description database

Download:

program:

db:

db (0.4a).zip

db (0.4b).zip

2 versions, with regard to 2nd person spoken language,

a )  ({PRIMARY}) 'what you say'  

b )  (You say/scream/beg) 'what you say'

old versions:

EAU 0.4.zip

Estelles Apropos Utility 0.3.1.zip

Estelles Apropos Utility 0.3.0.zip

UPDATE Female-Female support:

added Female-Female support + database validation

I wanted FF to work, and it looked like the apropos update for it will take some time, so I did some stuff to get it to work:)
there are some databases with female-female descriptions at the: http://www.loverslab.com/topic/28360-apropos-feature-request-and-descriptions-submission/page-11 
The database you can dl. here has FF descriptions done by psikochik (hope it's ok if I share it here). I used this one, because it has descriptions for the PC in the dominant role (FemaleActor_Female_Dom) and the submissive role (FemaleActor_Female), so it's the most complete one I could find. If you add Fisting, Boobjob, Footjob or Handjob files to these directories, they should work, but I haven't tested.

howto:
1. have > Apropos Beta 1, 20140618.1 http://www.loverslab.com/files/file/818-apropos/
2. have FF db files
3. click the tray icon and fill in the fields ( check 'FF support', put your player character's name, choose narrative mode) 
4. play the game

* known bugs: if multiple sexlab animations play simultaneously FF messages may stop working for the current animation.

Changelog:

v 0.5
-some updates to try and minimize the low fps problem some people were experiencing. skyrim now is the topmost and active window when no message is on screen.
- added a patch to remove the apropos notifications so you just see the ones in the overlay. (requires replacing some apropos script files).
- I made is so the text is now auto centered when changing the position and you can now change the font size and opacity with shortcuts. 
- I also added a short (or long depending on settings) fade in and out effect, of the text.
v 0.4.2
- hopefully finally fixed the QGREP problem, so now database search really times out if noting is found, (so no more QGREP hogging all your cpu if descriptions aren't found in database)
- pressing alt+f12 will shift focus to overlay, so hotkeys for third party screenshot apps will register, then it will send the hotkey ctrl+alt+f12. I use screenshot program picpick and configured it to use ctrl+alt+f12 as screenshot hotkey. (only program I could find that got the overlay to appear on screenshots.)
v 0.4.1
- resets overlay to always on top, every line.
- database search times out if not found.
v0.4
- updated database
- updated util, (orgasm messages for ff after animation switch, added support for female masturbation messages)
v0.3.2
- new icon
- Unicode support (utf-8)
- small fixes
v0.3.1
- added FF support
- fixed bug which prevented the program from working correctly if your skyrim folder was in any directory path with spaces.
- JSON validator for db files.
v0.2.1
- fixed the bug with hotkeys not working when skyrim is running

- fixed some log messages being shown in the overlay..

post-236495-0-75722900-1425922275_thumb.jpg

Awesome, it worked fine for me other than one thing that is nothing to do with your mod.

Fullscreen windowed stops your from adjusting brightness, which can make alot of ENB's not look right.

Anyway around that?

Nice! good to hear it works for you:)

about those colors, here are some suggestion.

maybe use your monitor's brightness adjustments, (not sure if this is the best option, you might lose lot of color information)

or, you can create a monitor calibration profile in windows (probably should take a screenshot with your uncalibrated ENB, or alt+tab into skyrim to get it too look good, while adjusting it.) you can than enable your custom monitor calibration when you play skyrim and go back to the default calibration during normal use.

the color settings can be found in advanced part of your display settings, or create a desktop shortcut to; C:\Windows\System32\colorcpl.exe 

the first tab is where you choose the color profiles for your monitors, so select your monitor, check the 'use my settings' box and choose your custom calibration here, or the default sRGB (which you might have to add), and set it as default to switch your gamma settings.

In the advanced tab you have the button to calibrate your monitor. the first step is the gamma adjustments you need, you can skip all the other steps.. when you're done it should show up as a new profile to choose from in the first tab.

I'm quite sure that suggestion will work, because I use it myself to keep the excessive blue color my monitor shows more balanced. (that color profile would not work when I set the brightness to anything other than default in fullscreen mode, so I think it's basicaly the same thing as skyrims gamma, but in windowed mode windows handles it instead of skyrim.) 

So try that:)

I'm looking at the steps for installation and the various things going on and wondering how I might install this in Mod Organizer...

Not sure which pieces or parts would need to be run through MO. Then again... I might be over complicating this like I normally do and maybe MOST of it doesn't have anything to do with MO. The One Tweak files that go into SKSE\plugins, I would install through MO, just so that if I don't like it, or it doesn't work well out-of-the-box I can shut it off while I figure out why.

OR.... if SKSE comes through with a new display area (in the works last I heard) I might want to try that....

hmmmmm.......

ok, this isn't working at all for me. 

If I press Control+Shift+T, I go into Sneak and then open the Wait dialogue. 

I have it installed, utility running, followed the directions, etc. 

I can ALT+TAB easy enough and in fact the game is running behind my browser window as I type this.

I just have no control over the overlay and can't toggle it on and off or test it.

Did I miss something somewhere?

ok, this isn't working at all for me. 

If I press Control+Shift+T, I go into Sneak and then open the Wait dialogue. 

I have it installed, utility running, followed the directions, etc. 

I can ALT+TAB easy enough and in fact the game is running behind my browser window as I type this.

I just have no control over the overlay and can't toggle it on and off or test it.

Did I miss something somewhere?

ctrl+shift+t is just a shortcut to switch the overlay on and off, I recommend switching it on from the rightclick menu of the tray icon, so you're sure it's on.

then press ctrl+alt+t, this should show you the test overlay. it should work in any program not just inside skyrim. and you can position it using, crtl+shift+ arrowkeys.

If the shortcuts really don't work, and the utility is running, I have no idea what's going on. 

I'm looking at the steps for installation and the various things going on and wondering how I might install this in Mod Organizer...

Not sure which pieces or parts would need to be run through MO. Then again... I might be over complicating this like I normally do and maybe MOST of it doesn't have anything to do with MO. The One Tweak files that go into SKSE\plugins, I would install through MO, just so that if I don't like it, or it doesn't work well out-of-the-box I can shut it off while I figure out why.

OR.... if SKSE comes through with a new display area (in the works last I heard) I might want to try that....

hmmmmm.......

I think you only need to install onetweak in MO. Es.Ap.Util. should work from any installation directory. as long as the paths to your database and log file in settings.ini are correct.

for me it works ...... sometimes

i have the problem that the messages have a delay of about two minutes.

wow, so they show in the notification area, and then 2 minutes later you get the overlay? I cant explain that.

you can try opening the apropos.0.log file when skyrim is closed, but my util. is still running.

then in the logfile delete some of the last lines, so that a line with a spoken sentence is the last one. save the file, and see if the overlay still has a lag of 2 minutes.. in that case it's something wrong with my util, otherwise, it's your skyrim being super laggy with writing logfiles.

Ok I might have another idea what causes this, do you have 'enable debug messages' enabled in the apropos mcm?

It should be enabled, otherwise only the sentences without synonyms are displayed. and they will be displayed late. I dont know why they are displayed late, but i just tried without and got some laggy output too.

I just realize that I did not put the right description in the OP.. I put, 'enable logging in the MCM', and it should read, 'Enable debug messages in MCM'. I'll change that.

but, if that's not it, maybe change your, fUpdateBudgetMS=  fExtraTaskletBudgetMS=, in skyrim.ini. google it, but both should be something around 2.

Very cool, but papyrus logging eats a lot of resources...

I don't think there's any way around that... if it would be possible to only write the apropos log, and not the papyrus log, that would save some resources, but I'm not aware of a setting for this.

Very strange, I can get the Test Text if I tab out of the full screen and leave skyrim so I can see it over the task bar, but if I have skyrim running and I am playing, not text comes up, not even the Test Text.

I've gone through the steps quite a few times, but I can't get it to work properly.

Windowed FullScreen, when using OneTweak, Skyrim should take up the whole screen, right?

Very strange, I can get the Test Text if I tab out of the full screen and leave skyrim so I can see it over the task bar, but if I have skyrim running and I am playing, not text comes up, not even the Test Text.

I've gone through the steps quite a few times, but I can't get it to work properly.

Windowed FullScreen, when using OneTweak, Skyrim should take up the whole screen, right?

I think you need to try running it as admin, windows UAC can block some hotkeys send to programs in background..

maybe adding a ~ in front of the hotkey bindings in the ini file will also work. 

Here is an updated version which starts the program with admin rights if it does not have them already. ( I also added an ini settings to disable this, more settings yay:)  ) (this update also includes the ini updates, and improved history list, no longer have to press refresh every time ) 

let me know if this works for you, then I'll put this one as the main download.

Estelles Apropos Utility 0.2.1.zip

Guest Noova

I tried this out and so far I atleast got the overlay to work. The problem I have right now is that it also displays the Stages. So it displays the stage (Stage 1), followed by the Apropos message, then Stage 2, Stage 3 etc.

Is this avoidable? Is it because I'm using the stable version of Apropos rather then the beta version? (which has messages for each stage?)

EDIT: I tried it with voices enabled and I got that to work as well. However, the voices where saying the various Stages aloud which is kinda annoying.

EDIT 2: I get this anytime an npc event happens and the orgasm stage triggers:

"NPC W&T disabled and this is not the player  "

Apropos would still trigger the messages in the upright corner, but this is what the utility displays.

On a side note, is it possible to disable the original Apropos messages and still have this be displayed?

I tried this out and so far I atleast got the overlay to work. The problem I have right now is that it also displays the Stages. So it displays the stage (Stage 1), followed by the Apropos message, then Stage 2, Stage 3 etc.

Is this avoidable? Is it because I'm using the stable version of Apropos rather then the beta version? (which has messages for each stage?)

EDIT: I tried it with voices enabled and I got that to work as well. However, the voices where saying the various Stages aloud which is kinda annoying.

EDIT 2: I get this anytime an npc event happens and the orgasm stage triggers:

"NPC W&T disabled and this is not the player  "

Apropos would still trigger the messages in the upright corner, but this is what the utility displays.

On a side note, is it possible to disable the original Apropos messages and still have this be displayed?

the NPC W&T message should be fixed in 0.2.1 update.. or change blacklist= in the settings.ini yourself. see 'edit' of the first post.

the animation stage messages should already be filtered by these same blacklisted words. but I'm using beta, so maybe the stable messages are different, 

ok yes, in beta, it's '---- StageStart ---- Stage: 1'

if in stable it's just 'Stage 1' 

then try changing you blacklist variable in settings.ini to:

blacklist=Values|Synonyms|Initializing|Arousal|Token|Initializing|Apropos|^----|nimation|Actors|]:|Tear =|wear and tear|reduction amount :|Found|Log closed|lost .* virginity|^[123] .+\w$|tracking now|NPC W|^Stage \d

if that doesn't work, please attach your apropos.log  file, so i can see what to filter.

ok, thanks for the log. I see there's a colon after 'Stage',  then it should be:

blacklist=Values|Synonyms|Initializing|Arousal|Token|Initializing|Apropos|^----|^Animation|Actors|]:|Tear =|wear and tear|reduction amount :|Found|Log closed|lost .* virginity|^[123] .+\w$|tracking now|NPC W|^Stage: \d

Hey Estelles, I appreciate your effort on this util so far. It will definitely mitigate a lot of the convenience issues with Apropos.

However, I never got your util to fully work, and I got a critical bug to report.

Your util spawns a great number of "Find String (QGREP) Utility" processes, with image name findstr.exe. They consume 100% of available CPU resources and they never actually find the string they are looking for. They also persist when the util is exited. 

Basically, every time a new apropos message begins, a QGREP process is started and fails to find anything. If I manually end the process, the overlay appears and the line gets added to the history. If I do not, the process will continue to consume an entire CPU core worth of resources indefinitely, and nothing happens.

I set searchfiles= 0; as I suspected that is where the error would occur (QGREP never finds text), but that did not affect the behavior in any way.

All my paths are correct. I made sure the appropriate files open when I click on any of the apropos file buttons in the utility.

Hey Estelles, I appreciate your effort on this util so far. It will definitely mitigate a lot of the convenience issues with Apropos.

However, I never got your util to fully work, and I got a critical bug to report.

Your util spawns a great number of "Find String (QGREP) Utility" processes, with image name findstr.exe. They consume 100% of available CPU resources and they never actually find the string they are looking for. They also persist when the util is exited. 

Basically, every time a new apropos message begins, a QGREP process is started and fails to find anything. If I manually end the process, the overlay appears and the line gets added to the history. If I do not, the process will continue to consume an entire CPU core worth of resources indefinitely, and nothing happens.

I set searchfiles= 0; as I suspected that is where the error would occur (QGREP never finds text), but that did not affect the behavior in any way.

All my paths are correct. I made sure the appropriate files open when I click on any of the apropos file buttons in the utility.

ok that's weird, first off all findstr.exe should not be run when searchfiles is 0. did you restart the program, to have the setting take effect?

Ill try to put a timeout on it next update, so it closes if nothing is found within a few seconds, but that's not really a fix.

please try this, so I get a better understanding of whats going wrong.

press windows key + r

type 'cmd' and press enter.

if you still have the default line 'I let out a gasp as I feel {CUM} fill me for the first time.' in the FemaleActor_VirginityLost_Vaginal.txt file in your database continue, otherwise put it there.

enter this command: (replace <apropos_db> with the value in your settings.ini )

findstr /spinmrc:"I let out a gasp as I feel .* fill me for the first time." <apropos_db>\*

you can also copy it then go to the cmd window right click the titlebar, choose, edit > paste, and press enter.

does it find the file, or does it also keep running forever without finding anything?

ok that's weird, first off all findstr.exe should not be run when searchfiles is 0. did you restart the program, to have the setting take effect?

Ill try to put a timeout on it next update, so it closes if nothing is found within a few seconds, but that's not really a fix.

please try this, so I get a better understanding of whats going wrong.

press windows key + r

type 'cmd' and press enter.

if you still have the default line 'I let out a gasp as I feel {CUM} fill me for the first time.' in the FemaleActor_VirginityLost_Vaginal.txt file in your database continue, otherwise put it there.

enter this command: (replace <apropos_db> with the value in your settings.ini )

findstr /spinmrc:"I let out a gasp as I feel .* fill me for the first time." <apropos_db>\*

you can also copy it then go to the cmd window right click the titlebar, choose, edit > paste, and press enter.

does it find the file, or does it also keep running forever without finding anything?

If I follow your instructions to the letter, it does not find the file. It just keeps going forever. I think you forgot to enclose the path within double quotes. 

For example:

findstr /spinmrc:"I let out a gasp as I feel .* fill me for the first time." C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\data\Apropos\db\*

Goes forever (presumably searching in the entire computer). This is due to the space in the folder Program Files (x86).

whereas

findstr /spinmrc:"I let out a gasp as I feel .* fill me for the first time." "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\data\Apropos\db\*"

finds the file instantly.

I reloaded the util many times after I set searchfiles= 0. Are you sure that parameter is implemented correctly?

ah yes, thanx, I totally overlooked those quotes, I don't have any spaces in my skyrim path, so it all worked for me, but this was a pretty major bug indeed, strange you are the only one that's reported it :huh:
A new version is up, with the bugfix,
the new version also has some support for female-female descriptions, so content creators can test their 'FF' description in the game.
0.3.1 also has a button to check for valid json format in your db files.

Thanks for this add-on!  It's nice to be able to test the text statements and edit them on the fly. I did notice a couple of things which may be due to the features not being implemented in Apropos. For the F-F animations none of the worn strap-on types are being picked up.  Also if the animation switches from one to another like BJ to Cowgirl the second set of descriptors are not being picked up.  I noticed in the apropos log it doesn't pick up the switch. It goes from stage-5 of the first set to stage-1 of the second w/o change in animation type being tagged. 

works fine  :), would be better if add support for utf-8.

any way, it's really cool!

Hey glad you like it, and good point about the utf-8. I recompiled with unicode support, it should show characters like ÀÆÖßéöÿ correctly now.
also some other small fixes in the new dl.

Thanks for this add-on!  It's nice to be able to test the text statements and edit them on the fly. I did notice a couple of things which may be due to the features not being implemented in Apropos. For the F-F animations none of the worn strap-on types are being picked up.  Also if the animation switches from one to another like BJ to Cowgirl the second set of descriptors are not being picked up.  I noticed in the apropos log it doesn't pick up the switch. It goes from stage-5 of the first set to stage-1 of the second w/o change in animation type being tagged. 

hey, yes I noticed that too, about the animation switches, I was gonna try to fix that but forgot about it.

as you said, the new animation tags are not in the log when it goes to the stage 1 of the new animation set. So I'm able to get the descriptions to continue but they might be for the wrong animations. I'll try it in 0.3.3:) (maybe there's a difference between the switch after foreplay, and switches that are added by mods such as sexlab misc. features.) 

the worn strapon types I can't get out of the logs, so, no way to fix that now.. did you use those in your descriptions? If so just replace them with {STRAPON} for now, I guess.

btw. thanx for writing your FF descriptions, kinda the reason I decided to support FF in this addon ;)

Archived