Divinity Original Sin..

Mebrilia

So who owns this little gem? Been a while since someone did a nice old school in depth RPG... I am loving the game so fare and i also play coop with friends...The game will have also a nice toolset to create your own custom content.. What do you think about it?

Playing it at the moment ... and after some hours I feel readyto say: Yeah, its good. Not on par with BG2 though, its just a bit too clunky, and what is this that so-called oldschool/hardcore RPGs hardly get inventory-management and other small things convenient? Oh well, Skyrim etc got so much flak for their console-interface, but DDOS isn't much better in that regard...

Anyway: Story so far? Not very impressive, but than I am still only in the first town, killing hordes of undead and orcs. Though the first little twist after meeting a kobold didn't leave me impressed that much. Why do Fantasy-RPGs always aim so high, with time dying, demons conquering the world, extraplanar creatures and what not. Whatever happened to good old megalomaniac dark evil sorcerer-kings? But its entertaining, though mostly due to the humourous approach (Yet sometimes I feel I am more underway in Discworld, I actually prefer more serious settings ...). Chars are okay, I love the banter between the main chars though...should become standard in all RPGS .

Music/Sound/Voices are good, though the NPCS on the market etc get a tad annoying after the hundretth time ...

Graphis are okay, maybe a bit too brightly coloured for my taste, looks more like an action-RPGs

Battle? Turn based? Not my thing, but I have to say: Its the battles that make this game outstanding for me. Every little encounter with some skeletons can easily become a tough battle ... and damn how much did I curse this game already. But once you eventually succeeded, it feels ... wonderful. Also arrows and magic feel a lot more potent here. Especially arrows ... even in BG2 and all other RPGS that followed they hardly had an impact. But here? Can't think how I would have succeeded without my Rogue-Archer so far. Also the combination of elemental damages/spells/the enviroment is great, and can win you battles. I also like it to create choke-points, a floor lit on fire can win you battles ... or be your doom. I only wish there was an "undo"-button, so many misclicks ... ^^

Levelling? I've seen more rewarding level-systems, and some skills seem rather useless, while others ... ah well, I have to see how much it impacts the later game. At least every little skill point etc feels precious, and one yearns to level up and get stronger!

Puzzles? Yeah, always my weak spot. Levers, riddles, all that stuff that slow me down. So glad the internet is invented. After half an hour I usually take a peek at what I am missing.

So overall, even if some of the above sounds too critical: No, I am glad I bought the game. I do not the slightest regret having spend the full 40 € (instead of taking an opportunity earlier with Steam etc). Its worth the money, already entertained me more than some triple A games. But you really have to be patient and work yourself into it. Take your time, look around, experiment.

And yeah, some sexy-armours ... I bet there will be some content, seeing how prominent the game could become with RPG-Nerds :angel:

I brought it on the strength of the reviews and all the good opinions about it from peeps that have tried it but personnally after 3-4 hours I'm struggling to get into it.

Yeah, it's start is not too good. Apparently it didn't even have the optional tutorial dungeon at first. But just go on with it until you get to the good parts.

Turn based no thanks, never liked turnbase.

I find that the older i get, the more i like turn based games :P

It's a great game for people who love oldschool rpgs (Infinity engine games, fallout 1-2 etc). I haven't seen a game like this in a while. Very well made, with nice story, dialogues, humor, beautiful locations and visual effects. Also long and slow paced, me and my buddy played it for 50 hours in coop and barely reached act 3. Challenging as well, we had to reload saves frequently after being beaten in fights, revisit places that was too hard to go through before, puzzles require some thought, we even browsed steam forums for solutions. Combat system kicks ass and very fun to get into. It's probably one of my best buys in 2014, definitely GOTY.

• 2 months later...

The game is a lot more fun in co-op. It's a little clunky when you're controlling multiple party members, and I think that's a downside of the fact that it has co-op at all... But When you just play one character the model works great.

Any word of whether anyone's started adult mod development for Divinity though? It seems like a game ripe for it, with a modding framework that includes functions which aren't even utilised by the main campaign... Co-op support for up to 6 players (main campaign is locked to 2), 360 degree free camera controls (main campaign has a limited perspective), synced animations on furniture, the competitive style of party dialogue. It's got me quite hopeful.

Archived