Help using Blender to create damaged versions of outfits

Halstrom

Ok, I've seen this done with Vaultsuits, in FO New Vegas I have a damaged Armor swapping system I'm working on and I want to create a simple damaged armor version of the Mantis suits for Fallout New Vegas and hoping this also might be a helpful tutorial for other Blender Noob's to do similar for any game. This is only the third time I've played with Blender. And hoping if I pull this off I'll get motivated to learn some more.

The Samus Zero/Mantis suit is a skin tight bodystocking like outfit, I basically want cut and tear sections of the mesh away to leave exposed flesh underneath. So I'm wondering firstly do I need to just delete chunks of the mesh and then add a Type 3 Cali Body mesh under it so it's exposed underneath?

Or can I just somehow retexture the torn sections to use skin texture, but I'm suspecting this won't work with exposed nipples etc.

I have Blender and can import the nif mesh into Blender ok. Assuming I just click ok to all of these.

post-12141-0-92608200-1402789913_thumb.jpg

But I notice this box of texture errors probably because I haven't stuck the textures in the same folder as the nif, but as I plan to add different color texture variations in GECK later anyway, so I'm guessing this isn't a problem.

post-12141-0-34423600-1402790021_thumb.jpg

Is that box at the bottom going to be a problem I need to delete or is it just a guide box? I'm suspecting I need to delete it somehow.

I'm also having a bugger of a time working out how to just rotat my view around to look at the front easily by middle button mouse/ctrl/alt/shift combo's I get a close view of the shoulder or but can't raise the camera to look at the hips.

post-12141-0-98022400-1402789971_thumb.jpgpost-12141-0-99925900-1402790968_thumb.jpg

Now I select edit mode, then Select EdgeLoop which is how I managed to delete bits yesterday, but today it just makes dents or mountains or rotates the whole mesh instead of highlighting areas for me to delete.

post-12141-0-98344700-1402791170_thumb.jpgpost-12141-0-09618400-1402791185_thumb.jpg

And when I got to export I get this, should I just click OK to all this and assume the mesh is ready to go in GECK?

post-12141-0-98976300-1402793883_thumb.jpg

Damn this seems to be counter intuitive software, I did try the later version of Blender and it seemed nicer but apparently could use the nif import/export scripts?

Help, please?

What version of blender are you trying to use here?  If you are using the latest then that is likely your problem as the nif scripts don't work for it.

Version 2.49b is the latest version that I am aware of that works with the import\export scripting.

Instead use blender portable which is a self contained version with everything you need to start.  Just download, unzip and use.  Nothing to install.

Link:  http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/42755/?

I'm using 2.49 as it's what the nif import files recommended and the nifs seem to be importing ok, bearing in mind I know nearly nothing about any mesh editing software :)

I had already installed the Python PiFFY & Scripts stuff.

Is Blender Portable easier to use for newbs perhaps?

don't know how to multiquote... I'll answer UPPERCASE

So I'm wondering firstly do I need to just delete chunks of the mesh and then add a Type 3 Cali Body mesh under it so it's exposed underneath?

THAT WOULD BE THE RIGHT WAY, YES. NOTE THAT YOU WILL ERASE THE PARTS WHO ARE NOT EXPOSED, SO YOU DON'T RISK CLIPPING ETC.

Or can I just somehow retexture the torn sections to use skin texture, but I'm suspecting this won't work with exposed nipples etc.

YOU COULD DO THIS TOO, BUT IT'S A PAIN, IT WOULD REQUIRE TOO MANY STEPS LIKE DO THE UV, I DON'T SUGGEST THAT

Is that box at the bottom going to be a problem I need to delete or is it just a guide box? I'm suspecting I need to delete it somehow.

MMMH I GUESS YOU HAVE TO REMOVE IT, YES.

I'm also having a bugger of a time working out how to just rotat my view around to look at the front easily by middle button mouse/ctrl/alt/shift combo's I get a close view of the shoulder or but can't raise the camera to look at the hips.

TOO MOVE, YOU CAN ALSO USE NUMERIC PAD (WITH NUM LOCK ON) TO ROTATE, AND CTRL + NUMERIC PAD TO PAN, COULD THAT HELP YOU?

Now I select edit mode, then Select EdgeLoop which is how I managed to delete bits yesterday, but today it just makes dents or mountains or rotates the whole mesh instead of highlighting areas for me to delete.

MMMH DON'T KNOW. MY GUESS IS YOU'RE GRABBING THE VERTEX (G).

HERE FEW COMMANDS YOU COULD USE FOR SELECTION:

- "A" SELECT ALL /DESELECT ALL

- RIGHT CLICK TO SELECT A SINGLE VERTEX

- KEEP SHIFT PRESSED TO SELECT MORE VERTEX (LIKE SELECT MORE ELEMENTS IN WINDOW)

- "B" ALLOWS TO DRAW A SQUARE, A WINDOW, EVERYTHING INSIDE THE SQUARE WILL BE SELECTED

- KEEPING PRESSED "B" GOES IN BRUSH MORE, AT THAT POINT YOU CAN KEEP LEFT MOUSE BUTTON PRESSED, THIS WILL SELECT ALL THE VERTEX YOU'LL PASS OVER. NOTE THAT YOU CAN SELECT A SINGLE ZONE, THEN YOU KEEP SHIFT PRESSED AND YOU SELECT A DIFFERENT ZONE, THIS WILL ADD SELECTION. ALSO, KEEPING ALT SELECTED WILL DO THE CONTRARY, WILL REMOVE THE SELECTION. THESE TWO ARE VERY VERY USEFUL

And when I got to export I get this, should I just click OK to all this and assume the mesh is ready to go in GECK?

YOU MISS THE EXPORT PART ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE WINDOW, TRY TO CHECK IF YOU INSTALLED EVERYTHING FINE (NIFSCRIPT)

Archived