What is the etiquette for using other people's mods?

I often see people stating that there are certain things they won't/can't do because they don't have the permission of another modder. I am interested in starting work on my own mod, but don't want to violate any written or unwritten rules of the community, so I have some questions.

1. What is the etiquette when using someone else's mod as a dependency?

2. What is the etiquette when using resources from someone else's mod, or editing portions of their mod for use in your own mod. For example, if I wanted to release a mod which used certain items from someone else's mod, but used them in a way not intended by the original modder (such as making them Devious Devices).

3. What is the etiquette when releasing a version of someone else's mod which you have modified? For example, there are several versions of SLSubmit being worked on by several different authors, and there are several version of LoverRapers. What level of permission was needed from the original author of this mod in order for the different versions to be considered not bad manners? Does the answer depend based on whether the mod author is easy to contact?

Thanks 

It's all really situational I think.

It depends on the mod being used as a resource, the modder's availability and what your version of their mod is.

Generally, most safe way is to contact modder beforehand and ask.

Now some will say, that if author doesn't respond in a reasonable time (up to your own discretion on this really) you can't do anything (Nexus).

Others would argue it's freely available so use it provided you give correct credits.

Your second question relates to modder's will. Which is more or less a matter of respect. They can tell you no, they do not wish to see the mod used in such a way. In which case the respectful thing to do is not provide a public link to it, you could instead make a tutorial about how to let users do it themselves, in which case your not breaching their will really as when you download the files your free to do with what you please on your own computer (Just don't share it if they asked you not too!). Though you'll find places where modder's will isn't much respected and rehosts/edited versions of the mods can be found on other sites/forums.

Your third question, I dunno.

Usually an abandoned mod or something where the author gives free reign in their permissions on the page.

1. Using another's mod as a dependency, AS LONG AS you don't include anything from that mod is fair game.  It is polite to ask but since you are not technically required.  Always best to give a head's up however as it is just being polite.  Sometimes it can pay off as the mod author can point you in the right direction to avoid game breaking bugs.

2. Ask first, UNLESS they post permission to do this.  If they don't respond in 30 days or so then send them another PM saying what you are using and doing and give them a way to contact you if they want it removed.

3. Depends.  As a general rule "ASK FIRST".  Specifically it depends.  Lovers with PK Japanese versions have always been fair game.  They are fine with translating and making changes.  It is a MUST to always credit the source(s).  Now with the other part of your example (SexLabs) it is not ok to post alternate versions of anything made by members here UNLESS you A) contact them and obtain permission first or B) they have posted that permissions are already granted.  

Lovers Lab does respect the will of the original modder.  If a re-post without permission is noticed by the original author and he complains to the moderator staff, we will remove it.

Cheers,

Greg

I often see people stating that there are certain things they won't/can't do because they don't have the permission of another modder. I am interested in starting work on my own mod, but don't want to violate any written or unwritten rules of the community, so I have some questions.

1. What is the etiquette when using someone else's mod as a dependency?

Just do it. There is no moral or legal grey area here.

2. What is the etiquette when using resources from someone else's mod, or editing portions of their mod for use in your own mod.

Don't do it without permission.

3. What is the etiquette when releasing a version of someone else's mod

Don't do it without permission. Release a patch esp instead if they won't grant permission / accept your changes.

Archived