"Help Me Find A Game" Thread

Presto

*Thought it would be a good idea to start a thread for people that are looking for a certain type of game and what other people may suggest.

Been in the mood lately for a strategy/exploration/rpg type of game and I can't seem to find one that fits the bill. In an effort to scratch the itch I picked up the last Civilization game but found it to be very lacking and not as epic and engaging as I hoped it would be. In another thread I mentioned how one of my favorite games of all time was "Uncharted Waters: New Horizons" and I'm looking for a successor in that same vein. What I enjoyed so much about that game was the ability to fight, explore, trade, and strategize at my own freedom.

So far I've come across a game like Warpgate (iOS) but I'd prefer to not play on my iPhone. I do like the apparent freedom to go where you want, fight who you want, upgrade a ship, and be good or evil as you see fit. Even if the game has a little more structure I've always enjoyed games that let me tinker with a craft, are slower paced with strategy rather than real time, and give you some freedom to wander off the main path. I also appreciate being able to develop my gear to adapt to my own play style instead of being forced to use specific gear.

Just to sum up I'm looking for:

- game that allows me to explore a world/space/sea at my own free will

- Strategy/RPG with turn based or slower paced flow

- freedom to choose profession, good/evil, fighting enemies way above or way below my level

- Historic, current, or futuristic setting

Similar Games:

- Uncharted Waters: New Horizons

- XCOM UFO Defense

- Front Mission 3

- The parts in Mass Effect 1/2 where you could explore the galaxy and randomly come across various encounters

Any have any ideas or suggestions of games that may be similar in some ways?

You mean for pc?

- Battlecruiser 3000ad or BC millennium, buggy like shit, hard to play but this is most epic space sim ever. You can fly Battlecruiser, jump to fighter or transport, send tanks to planet, drive them, send marines to planets command them on foot and more more. But as I said old, and buggy like shit. BC Millennium is free.

Unfortunately it is action game not turn based.

http://www.3000ad.com/download/

Other that you may like:

- Imperium galactica I

- Jagged Alliance 2

- Sea dogs (well this is action/rpg not turn based)

- Frontier Ellite II or X3 (but this are more like space(action) sims but damn, you can do whatever you want. But no planet landing/exploration)

I would like to find good sci-fi citybuilding games. The ones I have tried (off the top of my head) is Anno 2070, which I found decent, but still lacking, and an OLD OLD game that I remember playing way back that was called (I think) Fragile Alliance, it was about building mining colonies on asteroids, which I basically what I am looking for, but something newer...

I don't like 4X space games, I want something that is about developing individual cities/colonies in a sci-fi setting, preferably in space.

I would like to find good sci-fi citybuilding games. The ones I have tried (off the top of my head) is Anno 2070' date=' which I found decent, but still lacking, and an OLD OLD game that I remember playing way back that was called (I think) Fragile Alliance, it was about building mining colonies on asteroids, which I basically what I am looking for, but something newer...

I don't like 4X space games, I want something that is about developing individual cities/colonies in a sci-fi setting, preferably in space.

[/quote']

Anything "new" close to it is Space Colony, and that's it. I don't believe that there is something newer that that (and anno) in sc settings without X4. Maybe you cant try Startopia but this is far from what you expect.

Space Colony

From old ones, I remember that I played to death "K240" on amiga.

I figured as much... alright, another request.

I want tips of games that let you carve out a place for yourself from the wilderness, citybuilding games that is. I was very dissapointed with Cities XL 2011/2012, it just feels like an entire city pops up out of nowhere.

I am looking for games that give you the feeling of really conquering the wilderness, like The Settlers 6 (Settlers 7 was just horrible...), Imperium Romanum, Children of the Nile, that style of game. I don't really have any high hopes of finding a game I haven't already played in this genre, but it's always worth a shot. If I hadn't gotten Mass Effect 2 free with Dragon Age 2 I never would have heard of that series, and now it's my favourite game, so I never assume I know all games any longer...

@ Kashked

You know what? This probably isn't what you are looking for, but fuck it, I'm gonna recommend it anyway.

Outpost

http://www.outpostuniverse.net/outpost1.php

It's old enough to be a free download. (By the way, I never tried the second, so I can't say anything on that.)

The game looks really fun. It looked really fun when I was a kid too. It was one of the few games we had for our first family computer. I could never figure out how to do any-goddamn-thing. All my colonist always ended up dying.

So, many years pass, and one day, I suddenly remember this game! Hell, I'm awesome now! I'm great at games! I'm sure it will be fun this time!

*downloads game*

*Spends fucking forever reading through the entire manual*

*Starts up game*

"Ohh the nostalgia! This is going to be so much fun!"

*Proceeds to attempt to do exactly as the manual stated*

"WHY THE FUCK CAN'T I DO ANY GODDAMN THING!"

*Gives up*

But you know what? You may just be able to figure it out.

Hell, I may give it one more go.

I'm looking for some good zombie survival horror games for PC. Since it needs to be survival horror, it rules out stuff like Left 4 Dead, since that game was not even remotely scary and was more of a 100-zombies-onscreen-go-shoot-them-up than anything.

- It needs to be dark and scary, preferably psychological horror than the gross-bloody stuff

- It needs to be survival horror, ie you don't have a rocket launcher and can just go blasting the entire screen to bits

- Sorry not interested in sci-fi horror, ie BioShock/SystemShock, Dead Space, etc

- Not looking for Half-Life mods

It can be first or third-person, can be shooter or RPG or adventure, but preferably with some kind of shooting/melee action in it.

Things I played/have:

- Dead Island

- Resident Evil series

- Silent Hill series

- Land of the Dead Road to Fiddler's Green (absolutely terrible game, but it does match what I'm looking for)

Thanks

Well one that is upcoming that may fit the bill is: The Darkness II.

Did you ever try Fear or Fear 2. I really liked them and there were a couple of times it made me jump. As they are older games you should be able to pick them up cheap.

Fear 3 - haven't tried this one as it just looked stupid for some reason.

Thanks gregathit and phelps. I forgot to mention I played both FEAR1 and Amnesia. I didn't find FEAR1 scary at all though, 90% of it was mainly just a shooter with normal soldier enemies, with the occasional hallucination. =/ I think I'm not very easily scared lol. Is FEAR2 and FEAR3 drastically different?

I didn't get to finish Amnesia yet but that one was pretty scary.

Thanks gregathit and phelps. I forgot to mention I played both FEAR1 and Amnesia. I didn't find FEAR1 scary at all though' date=' 90% of it was mainly just a shooter with normal soldier enemies, with the occasional hallucination. =/ I think I'm not very easily scared lol. Is FEAR2 and FEAR3 drastically different?

I didn't get to finish Amnesia yet but that one was pretty scary.

[/quote']

FEAR 2 had its moments but F3, lol, no.

Archived